'Touch Disease' - A potential serious problem for iPhone 6 & 6+ Users

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by denpacs, Aug 24, 2016.

1. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

kutsaratinidor and Cmmig like this.
  2. jordan

jordan Active Member

This is true. My 6 acted up a few days after the 1 year warranty expired (March 2016). Lately, the occurrences have been more frequent. If the screen does not respond and starts flickering with lines, the phone becomes useless. I even have to wait for 6 to 24 hours for a hard reset to make it function normally again.

3. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Same with my wife's iPhone, just after its warranty, the screen started to act up - Unresponsive touchscreen. There are times that the screen is acting on its own. Even if you didn't touch anything. Tried resetting the phone, doing hard reset, set up as new iPhone. Done everything but it doesn't fix the issue. Turning it off, locked the screen as a quick fix but it will come back.

4. number001

number001 Active Member

Fervish likes this.
  5. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

The ghost touch problem is a known issue, my girlfriend's replacement unit had that problem. We thought it was her new case that was causing it. Service center immediately took it back for replacement. The next replacement unit had another issue as well.

This touch IC disease could pretty much blow up given the number of 6/6s out there. Hopefully they can address it properly.

ronjet likes this.
  6. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

I have been experiencing intermittent issues with my iPhone where swipes or pans are not recognized, but I don't see a grey bar. Sleeping/waking the phone usually fixes it. Hopefully it's just a buggy app causing it for me.

7. jmkerr12

jmkerr12 Member

My unit which I got from Globe on day 1 had False Tap issue that escalated to a point that the phone cannot be used anymore. Same issue happened to a friend that got her unit also same day.

Lucky me my phone got replaced for free because i thought the issue happened after Apple overseas replaced my camera. The unit was still under 90 days limited warranty so I was able to make a case - but it was a long and dragging process.

Based on PMC's diagnosis, the digitizer has erroded due to presence of water/moisture causing the false tap issue. I had to challenge this because my phone has never submerged in water.

8. lomster

lomster Member

I have this issue and my iPhone 6 is no longer usable. I was about to get my screen replaced until I saw ifixit's post.

My phone is no longer under warranty so my only option is to get it fixed. Anyone here know where to get the IC replaced since screen replacement won't seem to fix the problem?

9. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

does this, by any chance, happen while you're using Pokemon Go? because this happens to my 6s+ when playing Pokemon. haha.

10. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

Yes it does haha

11. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

It shouldn't happen to the 6s and 6s+. If it does, it could be a different problem.

From the same article linked in the original post above:
    "The iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are not affected by the same issue as Apple strengthened the body and changed the position of the Touch IC chips in those devices."

shutterbug and denpacs like this.
  12. deiz

deiz New Member

I was planning to buy pa naman iPhone 6, kaso baka makakuha pa ako ng may Touch Disease. It seems I would need to buy a 6s.

13. raze19

raze19 Active Member

welcome to Philmug = )

14. deiz

deiz New Member

Thanks for the welcome raze19.This forum is really helpful.

15. emiaj12

emiaj12 Member

I intermittently experiencing the same issue but no grey bar and flickering screen. Lock/Unlock usually fixes it. I thought its just the smudge on the screen or slow internet at that time.

16. deiz

deiz New Member

Can this be repaired? If so, how much would you need to shell out?

17. number001

number001 Active Member

I hope the pending lawsuit against Apple, will force it to replace affected units with 6S :D

18. ll_esquivias

ll_esquivias Well-Known Member

Touch IC problem is widely known for iPhone6plus, upon the release of this model, we already notify Apple about this but they did not believe our claim; hoping that Apple can also whole unit replacement for this model

19. gonefishing8

gonefishing8 Member

Did Apple fix this in iPhone 6s plus?

20. emiaj12

emiaj12 Member

my iPhone6plus issue is getting worst day by day. Anyone knows how to this issue fixed?