to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ibelgaufts, May 14, 2018.

1. preciousgem

preciousgem Member

Ah, a bigger screen it is!

I would not recommend the current Macbook Pro line - those have Retina displays. Text on MS Office looks so small to read on a 13-inch screen in their quest to cram in as many pixels as they have to achieve in their Retina displays.

2. Ibelgaufts

Ibelgaufts Member

I am probably too stupid to understand this argument. what keeps you from setting the fontsize higher? but I suppose that you, like me like to be able to see and read sizeable chunks of text?

snipes likes this.
  3. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Perhaps you guys could invest in docking stations like the LandingZone laptop docking station.
    This way, you can connect regular monitors, keyboards, and mice as needed to your macbooks.

4. Ibelgaufts

Ibelgaufts Member

that's a bloody joke, isn't it? an extra docking station for 200 USD to do what the macbook does not do? besides, it says on the page that it is NOT compatible with the new macs. Like I said before, it seems that apple has joined all the other computer manufacturers to produce technical junk products, disposables at a high price.

snipes likes this.
  5. snipes

snipes Active Member

So have you come to a decision? That Mac mini rival is cheaper than that that bloody joke, isn't it?

6. Ibelgaufts

Ibelgaufts Member

my decision right now is not do consider a mac anymore

7. manager

manager Active Member

I came from a 2009 17-inch which finally died last year. Loved that machine to bits, literally and figuratively.

Replaced with a 15-inch touch bar MBP. This machine is.......ok.

Left speaker busted and replaced already. It's the first machine I'm going to renew AppleCare. My old one never needed it.

Lately, I've been watching a lot of Dell XPS reviews :)

8. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Same. Came from a 2013 15 inch top of the line and I partially regret upgrading to a 2017 13 inch TB. If I could jump to Windows I would, but OSX is a must for my work. Kinda hate how Apple is both the source of frustration and saviour from that frustration... lol.

manager likes this.
  9. Ibelgaufts

Ibelgaufts Member

well, there is NO money in building machines that last. And Apple has become a company that puts form over function. I don't give a rat's fart for having a thin designer laptop that is nothing better than the ominous "coffeetable book" - best left on the table as a conversation piece, but, goodness, don't read it.
    BTW: we had two Dells - before the year was over, one monitor had to be replaced, the battery bulged, and on the other one the charger gave up its ghost.
    Why buy a Mac now? I might really just buy any other brand disposable, knowing that I am going to buy another one the year after.
    I buy a raincoat without holes against the rain. Apple now seems to sell me designer rain coats with lots of holes, telling me that this is to let the air in. Well, holes also let the rain in and I get wet. Am I too old now to expect something that works and lasts a bit longer than the warranty period?

snipes, Salaryman Ryan and Qin Zhi like this.
  10. Ibelgaufts

Ibelgaufts Member

nice way to put it, only that for me the saviour aspect asymptotically seems to go to zero

snipes likes this.
  11. snipes

snipes Active Member

Glad we could have helped. :)

12. preciousgem

preciousgem Member

The display setting to increase the fonts don't work on the menu and title bars - except when I put it in the highest setting (but I'll see much less detail if I do). Increasing the zoom or fontsize is not applicable to those areas as these are not part of the document/spreadsheet.

13. Ibelgaufts

Ibelgaufts Member

good morning.
    oh goodness. another reason not to buy one of these machines. seems that people who design them never use them themselves for serious work or have eagle's eyes.
    Hm, someone should inform Apple. There is another possible source of income: Apple's own overpriced brand of magnifying glasses for which one will need a special adaptor, also to be had overpriced at Apple stores

snipes likes this.
  14. Ibelgaufts

Ibelgaufts Member

actually, this is valuable information. I wonder if you could post a screenshot to hammer it home? it would never have occurred to me to check something like this, assuming automatically that if one has a high resolution display, it means just that.

snipes likes this.
  15. preciousgem

preciousgem Member

I got a 13" machine rather than the 15" one which should have been easier on my eyes. When I did the purchase I valued portability over performance (last time I got a Windows PC 15" and it's was a pain to carry around). The demo computers that we see in stores like PowerMac and Beyond the Box does not have any MS Office for obvious reasons, so it was not clear to me that I would struggle on some software that weren't optimally written for Macbook retina displays.

I have mixed feelings about the Mac vs. PC. There are things to love and things not too (the universal copy and paste between the iDevices is awesome, and the observation that things just work for the iDevices without so much configuration are so much true). But, the butterfly keyboard is indeed a serious issue and as I have posted earlier in the forum, I have encountered the issue just after a week after buying the device. I was just lucky to have found a can of compressed air which did the trick of removing whatever made my spacebar key stuck. I worry the time when the keyboard issue will happen again at the most unexpected time and out of warranty in which the can of compressed air will not be enough.

16. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

What you guys are looking for isn’t the “font size” setting - what you need to change is the Screen Resolution. Higher resolution screens shows more space and consequently smaller UI elements. Scale down that resolution under the Display menu for bigger buttons.

17. preciousgem

preciousgem Member

That's what I exactly did and it didn't work out for me for some applications (and the text still looked small).

The largest setting would have been the best - but this is at 1024 x 640 resolution so all the UI elements already look too big (and some dialog and popup already extend outside the monitor), and most modern websites and applications are designed for higher resolutions. The next larger setting is 1280 x 800 would have worked - except for the text that still looked too small to read and the text size isn't much of a change with the default (at 1440 x 900).

Not sure if I can find a third party app to change the windows text size setting. I have already checked the Accessibility Setting, and the most helpful setting I could see is Zoom (but I cannot always do a zoom all the time). Would have been good to have a fine tune setting to change the text size without needing to change the resolution (in Windows, there's a specific setting to change this).

Again, note not all apps have this issue. Some of them were already optimized for viewing in Retina screens.

18. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

Glad to know it’s not for all apps. Unfortunately whatever computer manufacturer we choose to go with, software issues will always exist - it’s always up to the app developer to ensure compatibility and ease of use.

19. preciousgem

preciousgem Member

I was able to get hold of an updated version and it already looks good on my end - and most of all no crashes.

20. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

For me the 2015 versions were Apples finest laptops. The current ones have too many um... compromises, at least for me. Like the old saying goes "They don't make them like they used too."

Daughter of Pismo, Zoey and Sunil_K like this.