Tim Cook says augmented reality will be bigger than virtual reality

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by PatrickGaerlan, Oct 17, 2016.

1. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have to agree. Even though I'm a huge fan of the HTC Vive and think that there's no other experience like it out there, I don't see VR in general as having much use beyond entertainment and a few specialized applications - the fact that it cuts you out so completely from the real world is both its biggest strength and its biggest weakness. I think that Microsoft is on the right track with HoloLens - I can immediately imagine the utility of something like that and I can imagine using it all day, everyday.

Read more at The Verge

2. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

I miss reality distortion fields. :(

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.......they need to shrink it far smaller......like Google's augmented reality contact lens plan. Bionic eyes, lol!

4. p.pipster

p.pipster Active Member

When Bragi announced The Dash, I said to myself that this is what Google Glass should have been. Augmented reality through earphones instead of eyeglasses which is a little less intrusive and a lot more conspicuous. That product is still not the best out there but it certainly has promise.

Doppler Labs is also attempting the same thing.

So when Apple announced AirPods, I immediately saw the potential of where Apple would go with this one. Of course, I don't have a direct line to Tim Cook so I wouldn't know for sure.

But think about it – iPhone, Apple Watch and Airpods on you. Imagine the possibilities.

greta87 likes this.
  5. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

does this mean that the movies The Matrix & Avatar were a bit off in their views of the future? :)