Third Party Lightning Cable

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ice, Jul 5, 2016.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

We all agree that Apple's original lightning cables does not last very long...

[​IMG]

Any recommendations for a good 3rd party lightning cable?

(This site, posted in May 2016, recommends something from Anker)

And, does the Made for Apple logo guarantee that the product will seamlessly work like the original cable?

[​IMG]

No worries of Apple pulling the plug on the cable?

2. jmprz

jmprz Member

I use thecoopidea braided cable. So far so good.

3. JAO

JAO Member

Mine lasted for 2yrs. Have asked a couple of folks and digital walker, it all depends on how you handle your stuffs.

4. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I put cheap cable protectors on all of mine, then bundle them up concertina style (in a loop), and finish up with a velcro strap (see pic below), This way I don't bend them. I have yet to lose an Apple cable since I started treating them this way.

Third party cables - I've bought and thrown away several of those. Plus, I froze an iPad once while doing a software update with a third party cable; I'll never do a software update with anything other than the original Apple cable.

[​IMG]

5. jmprz

jmprz Member

Fuse Chicken is good too

kurves likes this.
  6. kurves

kurves New Member

Hi, just wanted an end to this concern over frayed wires and have decided to get Fuse Chicken cables from BTB. Now deciding between the Titan and Armour Charge. Just wanted to clarify:

1. Are they equals? or Is one basically better than the other? Checked online and they are both priced $35 on the Fuse Chicken site (though Titan costs $5 less than the Armour Charge on Amazon).
    2. Any major difference between the 2 in terms of strength or function, other than that the Armour Charge cable is woven from stainless steel strands while TITAN ($30 on Amazon) is wrapped in 2-layers of industrial-grade "steel cable" (implying it may rust?).
    3. Also, heard not to get the Bobine Auto model as it might make the female side of the lightning connection loose over time, due to the weight of the iPhone+, also, that I might need to remove my tech21 case everytime i needed to charge. Any truth to this concern?
    4. As such, would getting either of the other 2 models plus buying a 3M clip be a better alternative?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

7. polemic

polemic Member

Aukey has recently opened shop in the Philippines, bringing with them more affordable and good quality MFI cables :)
    A friend of mine ordered from Lazada a few weeks ago - it looks well made.

kurves likes this.
  8. eag

eag Active Member

9. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

Fuse chicken ftw! If you break it (that is a big IF), the replace it!

kurves likes this.
  10. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

I stopped using Apple's shitty Lightning cable after my iPhone 5. My iPhone 6 and 7 Plus cables have remained in their box. From my experience I like Anker and Momax third party cables. So far the only brand to break on me was Belkin.

11. maym

maym Member

Both Titan and Armour Charge are made from stainless steel so no need to worry about rusts. The SA from BTB told me that these models are basically the same because they are made from the same material and both have the lifetime warranty. I bought the Armour Charge because it is the only one that has a 2meter model. :)

Still thinking of buying the 1m Titan for travel purposes.

12. vrl29

vrl29 Member

FuseChicken Titan cables are good because that they are sturdy. Although it may be a bit cumbersome to carry daily when you start to notice the weight.

Other 3rd party cables that I've tried all work well (Scosche, Anker). I haven't encountered any connection loss (e.g. when diong an OS update) during usage.

13. kurves

kurves New Member

Thank you very much for your replies. Although I still don't get why Apple doesn't just improve on their cables.

14. nash2589

nash2589 Member

I have a similar thread like this last year.

Bought Anker Powerline+ and I was amazed by how durable it is. (Plus it comes with an 18 months warranty)

I skipped titan fusion because it is bulky.(and a little bit expensive than Anker Powerline+)

15. kurves

kurves New Member

thank you for the response eag

16. macjobber

macjobber Active Member

Anker is #1 at Amazon
    Lightning Cables
    Powerbanks

RavPower is a good brand too

17. Kleithxx

Kleithxx Active Member

I am currently using Anker Nylon Braided Cables. Both for my iPhone 7 Plus and iPad Pro. I immediately bought each when I first got my devices. I do not use the original accessories, they are still sealed and untouched inside their specific boxes. Never had any problem with both. :)

18. Jess

Jess Well-Known Member

i am using Anker Powerline+ and Amazon Basics. both are pretty good.

19. mackymd

mackymd Active Member

Been using cables from miniso

20. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

It's a shame there's still no certified third-party USB-C to Lightning Cables on the market. I'm reluctant to try yet another Apple-branded lightning cable, and it doesn't seem like we'll ever be getting alternatives that are MFi unless they at least ship the upcoming iPhone with a USB-C to Lightning Cable.

For now, a dongle or hub it is. :confused:

#20 Edelheid, Aug 16, 2017 at 7:22 PM
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017 at 7:27 PM