The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by Miguel_D, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Good day bro pissed off with pldt haha don’t ever start your day calling pldt called them few mins ago since I’m having issue with fibr connection i tend to have low speedtest and nakaka init na ulo mag load for a single page like amazon uk and other with keepa data tried my hotspot globe works perfect(it’s been few days) Anyways lady on phone told me they are not allowing bridge mode for the moment

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Call again. You might get an agent that will allow Bridge mode.

I just had my Fibr installed less than a month ago and right then and there during activation, I asked that it be set to Bridge mode... to which they kindly obliged. It was done remotely by somebody in the NOC. I still have limited admin access to the ONU but that's irrelevant as I am using my own router (Untangle NGFW).

I've had zero major issues aside from the effect of the undersea cable damage and last night, when the Cloudflare DNS server became unreachable for several minutes (routing issue in PLDT). But no issues attributed to the Fibr link.

3. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

PLDT’s modem is crap so i also suggest to invest in a better router. I still think PLDT Fibr is the lesser evil of all the provider right now. I’ve been a subscriber for almost 2 years and did not encounter any significant service interruption. What they need to improve on is customer service, most of their csr doesn’t know what they are saying.

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I wouldn't say they're complete crap. Most of the customer frustrations with their CPE are primarily due to the fact that they were not given full admin privileges... and for good reason. If you're running a huge telco business like PLDT, you typically don't want anybody messing around too much with the settings, which then could lead to more customers flooding their hotline.

Understand that not everyone is a techie and that for the great majority, they're pretty much satisfied with the default settings. There's just a small percentage of people like you and me that are passionate enough to squeeze more functionality out of their home network. That's why we prefer using our own routers, while retaining PLDTs CPE to still act as a modem and/or media converter in bridge mode, to have full control.

5. Don Pao

Oh i did. and yes it was processed today. and i just want to vent out my frustration BEHOLD! I have no internet connection "LOS" Light is red on the modem. called hotline few mins back and confirmed there was a line issue on my neighbourhood Luckily i have 2 back up connection Globe Lte/smart lte pocket wifi's. the said issue was just in time when i was about to finish work.

Was planing to get the xioami router. how i wish i didn't sell my Linksys e2XXX router.

6. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

my fibr is slow already from it being 30mbps before in my speed test now its down to 6-9mbps :( and to think they say they upgraded me to 100mbps haha

7. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I think it's a nationwide thing. I'm on 200mbps and I was getting 80 and reported it. 5 days later it normalized.

8. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

I have this weird concern before, whenever I have a conference call via skype for business, it would always show poor connection and i can’t hear or be heard on the call. I can’t figure out what’s wrong, made tons of research, tried numerous troubleshooting, PLDT have no idea as well what’s wrong. Got a new TPLink router, bridged mode the PLDT one and voila, problem is gone.

9. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

there are numerous times that when on VPN, ping latency is 1-2s. Using corp. VPN, F5.

doesn't happen on globe fiber and DSL.

10. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

When did you experience that? If just recently might be something to do with a cable break recently.

11. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

I just called them, my ONU access has been disabled a day after they gave me a new modem and ranting about how I don't have connection for 3 days. agent on the other line is telling me that it will take time for bridge mode request to be done and will take a tech on site to do it.....total crap because I was on bridge mode prior to my downtime

12. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

C88E23A7-578C-4588-BDE4-FAB09FD84F7B.png C88E23A7-578C-4588-BDE4-FAB09FD84F7B.png
    I am pleasantly surprised with my current speed at home for the first time, PLDT. Sana wala ng katapusan ito. I am currently on Plan 1899(up to 20mbps) #feelinglucky :)

13. macjobber

macjobber Active Member

I’m getting 250 MBPs (Plan ₱1,899 20 MBPs) as of the moment. Enjoying while it lasts hahaha.

SE20, MharDelaCruz and pinoyslinger like this.
  14. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

I'm getting an average 100mbps with my speedtest but my Netflix network test averages 4.3mbps only. Hmmm... PLDT maybe doing something to make it look fast in speedtest. 4K shows look so grainy. :(

15. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

do a cold boot on all your equipment from the modem to the router to the tv, to everything.

now, does anyone know of a rumor about PLDT slashing prices of their plans? My contract is coming up on renewal for my 50Mbps plan and I would like to cut my cost by 50% for the same speed, if possible.

vic2rp likes this.
  16. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

If you’re using PLDT servers to do your Speedtests then you are not getting the correct network speed for your plan. Try picking a California based Speedtest server to get at least 50% of your subscription plan.

Testing on local speedtest servers is just testing local country traffic but Netflix isn’t a local service.

raypin likes this.
  17. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Is it true that if you requested bridge mode, PLDT will lower your speed?

18. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

When they changed my modem I enjoyed a delirious minute or so of blinding speed.

[​IMG]

I snapped out of that momentary hallucination and dropped to an ordinary 50 mbps. Makes me want to find a street corner where I can score a re-up.

raypin likes this.
  19. Don Pao

Hi guys.

While waiting for PLDT to activate Bridge mode on my mode. i Purchased an Xiaomi 3 router and just plugged it in on LAN 1 then disable ONU wifi. it did work. Question do i still need bridge mode to be enabled on my onu?

macjobber likes this.
  20. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..true........I use Sprint Seattle WA. to compare with my preferred local server. Speedtest yields the same results.