The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by Miguel_D, Dec 26, 2013.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

They use LAN cable because it's IPTV. I think you can request for Cignal via satellite (DSL subs usually gets this) that still uses COAX but you'll have a satellite hanging outside your home + I think higher equipment/install fee. Are you willing to accept that trade off?

On FB and IG Slowdown, there is yet another cable break to our link to HK (PLDT ONLY).

FB's data centers courses through our HK links (we have multiple) hence increased loads to other links caused congestion during peak holiday season.

2. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

i have a stand alone Cignal with DISH. then fibr came stand alone only.

3. rdy0329

Were they applied for separately? If so, then it is the logical set up for separate application.

Also, you guys can take advantage of 15% discount for bundled services on pldthome's website. There's a built-in calculator for your convenience.

jetan likes this.
  4. jetan

before fibr came im already a Cignal subscriber.

5. rdy0329

Yeah. But if you apply Cignal via PLDT, you'll be forced to use Cignal via LAN Cable (the three unusable LAN port on the Fibr Router)

6. jetan

that's why i didn't get the bundle.

7. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

PLDT contractors came to our place and offered to upgrade our DSL to Fibr. Been wanting to do this but slots fill up easily.

But then when they came over, I remember the horror stories here and the complaints of my friends. So I changed my mind and declined their offer.

8. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

Guys, just want to know if there are 3rd party modem/routers that could be used to replace the standard issued ONU from PLDT?

9. rdy0329

The only horror might be you'll be locked to 24/36months again. Otherwise, you can accept their offer and enjoy fiber speeds.

10. rdy0329

None that I can think of, since they need to configure your ONU on their side.

You could request for bridge mode which makes your Fibr router "dumb" and have a 3rd-party router handle IP addresses of your home devices. I have successfully done this but other forumers (TPC) indicate that it's a hit or miss with this kind of request.

lamski likes this.
  11. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

I just connected my TPLink Wi-Fi system to the ONU via ethernet and then disabled the Wi-Fi signal of the PLDT ONU. Worked like a charm.

raypin and lamski like this.
  12. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

retitled the thread. after running this long, not everything here is about "woes." ;)

rdy0329, Roman, SE20 and 1 other person like this.
  13. makinao

makinao Active Member

In our case, PLDT kept calling us offering us the upgrade from DSL to Fibr. But we refused to transact over the phone, knowing how unreliable this usually is. I instead went straight to the PLDT office in our area and requested it. The contractor came a few days later and left us with a roll of cable and instructions on how our electrician should lay out the conduits and the cable. After that was done, the contractor came back a few days later and installed. Maybe we're just lucky, but PLDT has been very quick to install anything in our area. Maybe its because Globe and Converge have been marketing heavily here.

14. psych0fr3ak

psych0fr3ak Member

Does the Cignal IPTV affect the bandwidth of the internet thru fiber?

15. eag

eag Active Member

This may be a dumb question, but how did you disable the wi-fi signal of the PLDT ONU?

16. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Not dumb at all. I accessed the administration via the browser (I forget the URL, should be 192.168.something.something). Turned off the Wi-Fi signal from there.

eag likes this.
  17. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Cignal IPTV is on a separate network which will not affect your regular internet bandwidth.

den1224 and psych0fr3ak like this.
  18. rdy0329

I think admin access has been revoked for home fibr users because of hacking concerns. You need to request any wifi settings changes via hotline.

19. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

I didn't have to request any changes from the hotline. I just made the changes myself.

20. rdy0329

when was this? I was tryng 192.168.1.1 with username: adminpldt and password: 1234567890

Before October, it worked fine but after that you'll get an error prompt.