The new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kenneth, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I saw one on display at Sw!tch ATC last Saturday. Didn't ask how much or if the store was selling it (silly question, right? Why wouldn't they sell it?).

It was running a slideshow on a 27-in T-Bolt Apple Display. Couldn't hear the humming so I put my ear close and got a dose of warm air but hardly any noise.

2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

My son has been nagging me about this Mac Pro, not because he'll get one but because he'll be handed down my 8-core Mac Pro with 24GB RAM and GeForce GTX card. I've been dribbling with "ships in 6-8 weeks", which was the case in Singapore weeks ago. I feel like telling him, "Patience. No kid gets everything, except the son of soloworx." ;)

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

i'm afraid if i get one someone in the office would think it was a new percolator and wait for the coffee to brew...

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

The Mac Pro can also be programmed to do this, starting at 0:07. :)

[video=youtube;ZNWd4FFYDv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNWd4FFYDv0[/video]

5. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

I am told that local Mac Pros (APRs) are order basis only , but Apple Philippines(?) has stocks.

6. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

I saw a Mac Pro demo unit in PoweMac Greenbelt 3. It's a fingerprint magnet! :D

7. mokmoki

mokmoki Well-Known Member

at least it's a desktop, you won't be touching it as much, except maybe when plugging in devices at the back. haha.

8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

are the local resellers now stocking on the Mac Pro?

been on the fence thinking of getting one for my office rather than the iMac...

9. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Hi Hitme64. There are pros and cons in choosing between the iMac and the new black Mac Pro. It also depends on the type of task you will be doing. I've had the chance in using the new Mac Pros from client's offices. I've used an 8 core 3.0ghz with D500 and a quad 3.7ghz D300 new Mac Pros and they're fast and quiet but the iMacs I've used are also quite fast.

There are many tasks using Adobe apps that did not have noticeable speed gain with the new Mac Pro compared to iMacs or the classic tower Mac Pro. In my work, sometimes I am required to render the video or edit graphics onsite at clients offices and get to use several Macs. It greatly helps when you get actual hands on experiences with various Macs rather than just looking at the spec sheets. Another consideration is most softwares including 3D apps only use ONE GPU so the second GPU will be idle at all times in relation to the cost of paying for the machine. There is a video about using Cinema 4D and other 3D apps on the new Mac Pro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnZHQlBmMD8

If you do a lot of H.264 Video Compression, the MacBook Pro or the iMac is much faster than the new Mac Pro. This is due to i7 processors having QuickSync unlike the Xeon processors.
    MacPerformanceGuide: Fast H.264 Video Compression on the MacBook Pro Beats the 2013 Mac Pro
    Considering cancelling my Mac Pro order. No speed benefits in FCPX / Compressor - MacRumors Forums

One of my clients also complained of getting "artifacts" or horizontal lines in Premiere Pro. His problem is similar to this Adobe threads
    Apple's latest Mac Pro continues to cause problems for professional users
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1412328?start=120&tstart=0 It's a year old thread that up to this month, there seems to be no clear cut solution to the problem.

In my personal opinion, I think the Retina iMac would be a better fit. I have not actually used a 5K iMac but my calculations will indicate it's just as fast as the new Mac Pro on certain tasks. Though I think the new Mac Pro will run cooler and quieter than the iMac. If one is considering getting the new Mac Pro, best to think it over carefully before investing in that level of price.

#149 MacSonic 779, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  10. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

11. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

After the new 2013 Mac Pro more than 3 years ago, Apple made an apology that the cylinder black Mac Pro design had flaws and was a failure. And they’re working on a new, modular design hopefully to be released in 2018. http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/4/15175994/apple-mac-pro-failure-admission

When the new Mac Pro was announced last 2013, sorry to say, I had some doubts on the design as it was lacking in PCIe slots, user upgradeability and lack of internal storage. There was also a class action suit filed on the new Mac Pro here https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...s-action-says-mac-pro-defects-render-useless/

Hope that the new modular design will be better and would cater more to the needs of the pro users.

jayparalejas likes this.
  12. v8designstudio

Despite the lack of upgrading abilities, to be honest, the new MacPro is fast. The flash drive works the speed, and an attached external thunderbolt storage as your home folder works really well as well. What I dont like about it though, is that it is impossible to put it on a table and still look good because all the cables attached to it shows off like pancit canton.

Sunil_K likes this.
  13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Somewhere in this thread, I swore that I'd buy a Herman Miller Aeron chair and this Mac Pro. Glad I held off on the latter. But hey, it brought out MacGod! Good to hear from you, man. Been ages since we've seen you 'round here.

Sunil_K and v8designstudio like this.
  14. v8designstudio

Hahaha...ages it was. Stealth mode in the marketplace wahahaha... That Roland drum profile still! Wooot!

15. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

I had the opportunity in using the cylinder new 2013 Mac Pro during my onsite jobs for a couple of clients. I've used the 3.7 Ghz Quad with D300s and an 8 core 3.0 Ghz new Mac Pro. It's quite fast and snappy. One of my clients offered for sale their new 2013 Mac Pro. I carefully thought it over, asked around and placed more weight on deciding from a business standpoint. One downside is most applications currently only support one GPU and most tasks are still CPU bound. That would be paying for 2 GPUs but only one will utilized. I was also looking for an option to use a Nvidia video card. Nvidia works closely with Adobe with it's CUDA framework.

AMD Raden GPUs on the other hand, has their own OpenCL framework that is optimised for Final Cut Pro. If I am not mistaken, Apple prefers to work closely with AMD as most of their Mac computers now uses AMD Radeon GPUs as FCPro runs well with OpenCL. The D300, D500 and D700 GPU of the new Mac Pro are re-branded AMD FirePro W7000, W8000 and W9000 which was released in Mid 2012. http://architosh.com/2013/10/the-mac-pro-so-whats-a-d300-d500-and-d700-anyway-we-have-answers/

Probably another good option is the 5K iMac as it's just as fast as the new Mac Pro for a much lesser cost, plus the benefit of getting 5K resolution. Here's a guy who did a detailed comparison between a 6 core 3.5ghz new Mac Pro and a 5K iMac.

penmanila likes this.