The new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kenneth, Jun 11, 2013.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Sweet. But I already have too many cameras (granted, none that gorgeous), some I will actually sell to help fund the Mac Pro.

In the watch world, "all roads lead to a Patek". In cameras, it's Leica. In fountain pens, I have no idea. :D

But for Macs—without a doubt, the new Mac Pro. :)

2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

3. v8designstudio

A red can. Interesting...

4. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

5. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

6. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

I want one.

I want to save for one.

But my real question is, how many FPS will it run Battlefield 4? hee hee

7. kaboomerangle

kaboomerangle Member

I wonder if the next Mac Mini's design would take its cue from the Mac Pro, hehehe ;)

8. scubadiverdaw

scubadiverdaw Member

Now that would probably be called the DIET COKE MINI lol (same shape)

#108 scubadiverdaw, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.....B4 isn't out yet. But can the new Mac Pro be a competent gaming machine? Technically, this ISN'T a gaming machine. It wasn't meant to be. It is a workstation more suited for professional-level apps like video editing and 3D content creation (CAD/CAM etc.). The hardware and software that runs it are specifically designed for those tasks, not gaming. However, this beast of a machine is also a general-purpose computer, able to handle other tasks including desktop (or PC) gaming. Will it perform as good as a performance-grade PC gaming machine? Unlikely since the GPU that runs inside the new Mac Pro is a workstation-class GPU and workstation-class GPUs generally lag in performance compared with its gaming-class brethren . The software drivers that runs it are just not written or optimized for PC games. Out of curiosity, I did a little research on the GPU. The Mac Pro runs two AMD FirePro D300. Problem is the D300 doesn't exist as a retail SKU. In other words, it is a customized version of the AMD Firepro series. But which one? According of Game Debate, the specs of the D300 matches the AMD FirePro W7000 which was introduced by AMD last year and available for retail purchase. So, what is the gaming gpu equivalent of the W7000? The nearest is the AMD 7870. So, how well does the 7870 perform in gaming? As you can see in the benchmark chart below, it performs quite competently (at 47 frames per second). For reference, anything above 40 frames per second assures smooth gameplay. It is not blazingly fast but it can run a game as punishing as Crysis 2 (in ultra mode and with the high-resolution texture pack). Given that the entry-level new Mac Pro sports two AMD FirePro D300s (Apple's custom implementation of AMD Crossfire, basically slaving two GPUs to boost performance), it is reasonable to assume that the gaming performance is equivalent to two AMD 7870s. Given that Crossfire (or Nvidia's SLI) offers at least 25% performance boost compared with a single card, it is also reasonable to expect that the framerates will be boosted by at least 25%. IOWs, it will kick ass. Now, what does this mean to PC gamers (like myself): if we take Bootcamp's promise of native play of Windows applications (including gaming) as totally accurate and if the proper drivers are made available, it is possible that the new Mac Pro will be a very viable alternative to custom-built PC gaming rigs, performance-wise.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] Edit: I almost missed something: in the chart, Crossfiring or dual-gpu does offer performance boost. The single card 6870 gpu clocks in at 31 frames per second while the Crossfired 6870 (the X2 denotes Crossfire) clocks in at 55 frames per second (a substantial performance boost).

#109 raypin, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  10. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

My Mac Pro runs Radeon HD 7850. Not bad! Although I haven't tried gaming with it because I'm not into it anymore. I noticed though that it seemed like 2X faster at video exporting in FCP X than the default 5770 that came (and died) with my Mac Pro.

I think I'll stick with my current one. I'll just up its RAM and switch all my drives to SSDs when I can afford them. I do hope Apple will offer this redesigned Mac Pro in YELLOW! :D Pros want to have fun too!

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

For your effort, you deserve to sit on the geekbench. :p

I suspect though that the D300 is slightly more superior than the 7870 because the D300 can handle 4K video, whereas the 7870 only does 2.5K video. So at the very least, the D300 has a tad more processing capability and memory capacity to handle the larger data sets of the D300.

But the most relevant spec this December is the Mac Pro's size, because it will allow me to hand-carry it from the first country to sell it. :)

The biggest challenge for me is choosing between zero wait and zero percent installment. :D

12. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

Can't wait for actual real world benchmarks on these things. I'm ready for an upgrade and plan to get a souped up iMac soon but I'm taking a hard look at an entry level Mac Pro.

13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Apple on the new Mac Pro, as printed on the back of promotional posters they recently sent out to select journalists:
    It's the computer we were insane to build. The one that turns conventional thinking on its head, then kicks the living $#&% out of it. We challenged all our assumptions. Abandoned our preconceptions. And blew away limitation after limitation. This is the new Mac Pro. It's like no Mac we've created before. And we can't wait to see what you create with it.

14. josecarlo1129

josecarlo1129 Active Member

Maybe it's time to give the new Mac Pro a chance. :cool:

[​IMG]

Kidding aside, I am also considering to get the new Mac Pro + ACD instead. The price of souped up rMBP is more than the price of the entry-level Mac Pro. I still have until the end of the year to decide. Hmmmm.

15. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

Is that a USB powered grill? :)
    some mugger is selling 2 of these cases if anyone is thinking of making one similar to this. Currently 4k each at the marketplace
    http://www.philmug.ph/forum/marketp...67&title=apple-powermac-g5-tower-casing&cat=1

I still have a working G5 Power Mac. Back in the day, it could handle anything you throw at it. Now, it's my cat's favorite loft

16. primo1

primo1 Member

17. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

18. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.....the power supply or PSU looks unusual. Standard PC PSUs are fatter than that and, as pictured, it is at the bottom of the case --> the worst possible location because it generates a lot of heat (hot air rises). Mounting the motherboard (using standard PC mobo) will be a challenge (example: where to drill the homes to match the pre-drilled holes of the motherboard and secure it properly on the case. The CD-Rom or DVD and the twin hard drives (looks like screwless design) looks okay. Yes, it requires considerable skills to make that case mod happen. It also is a dust-magnet.

19. ultraracingph

ultraracingph Member

The PSU design of the Mac G5 actually take its cues from redundant hot swappable power supplies. They were mostly made by AcBel which is now a popular brand for after market PSU's. But back then their business model was manufacturing OEM for other companies. Also, a lot of modern CPU cases adapts the reverse ATX design where the Power Supply is mounted at the bottom of the case. But yeah, it looks like an interesting modding project. :p I'm more interested in that awesome grill though! He he!

20. ultraracingph

ultraracingph Member

LOL, actually the first idea that came to my mind was a coaster for the Mac Pro.