The 2013 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kenneth, Jun 11, 2013.

1. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple should put "Can't innovate anymore my ass." on the Mac Pro webpage even just for a quick hour or 2. As a joke... and a middle finger to the world.

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm....that won't be necessary. The product speaks for itself. Will it sell like hotcakes? Not really. The price point alone is a major barrier given the continued popularity of light computing devices that is flooding the market. Should Apple continue the big Macs? Of course. There is always a market for it. As a hardware geek, I always look forward to what computer companies can do to advance the state-of-the art consumer and prosumer-grade computing devices. On another front, AMD just unveiled the first air-cooled 5 Ghz. CPU chip (FX9000 series) in the world. Before that, computer geeks had to use exotic cooling solutions like liquid nitrogen to achieve a stable 5 Ghz. clock speed. That is a major technological marvel. The same with new Mac Pro: it is at the apex of personal computers - the Rolls Royce if you will. I'm sure other computer companies are rushing their own version.

3. v8designstudio

Dunno about you guys, but im get'n one when its out. I need a funny thing on my desk (or below it) anyways. Oh yes, the ooohs and the aaahs of my visitors when they see one will be another funny thing, as well. (hihihi... maniacal laugh...maniacal laugh...maniacal laugh).

4. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

after spending that amount on a Mac Pro, I dont want it to be below my desk beside my trash can :)
    I would want my clients to say " So that is the reason why he charges so high" when they see the Mac Pro on the desk.

There will be a market for a replica of the Mac Pro just like those lenses that also serve as coffee cups

Sigh, my Power Mac is so outdated, it value could only be from the aluminum material from the case. I believe some years ago someone was able to sell a similar case for 5k at tipidPC

5. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

I hope they ship within 3 months. I would like to pick up a BTO by Christmas. :)

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Apple has a design philosophy. Always have, always will.

So I looked for other Apple creations with similarities to the new Mac Pro and found it! :)

Apple Store Shanghai features a cylindrical glass storefront, with a reported height of 12 meters. I geeked out and computed its diameter, which turned out to be roughly 8 meters.

Voila! The new Mac Pro and the glass storefront have the same height-to-diameter ratio of 3:2. :)

[​IMG]

7. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

"yeah right" justification: I've taken so many photos of my son, I need the extra horsepower to process them all.

"hidden, must-never-tell-the-wife" justification: StarCraft II at max settings!

"Apple geek" justification: I don't need justification. :)

=======
    In another thread here, I said it's important to "give a damn". The lights turning on around the I/O panel when the unit detects movement? That's giving a damn. It's so "Apple". Even the small things matter so much to them.

8. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Geeking out further, I wish the height were 12.9444m to achieve the divine proportion. But maybe it is because the 'reported' dimensions weren't very precise.

9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Thought about that too, why they didn't go for the golden mean. Then I realized that they still achieved the divine proportion, by "tricking" our minds. Because they chose a cylinder, the perceived height is longer; that is, its 2D height at the center is longer than its sides. So it looks taller than it actually is. If it was opague, it would look even taller. Thankfully, it isn't. Just divine. :)

10. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

what Mac are we talking about here?

if this is a previous gen Mac Pro enclosure, I might be interested.... let's talk when you get yourself a new Mac Pro. :)

11. raypin

mmm.....it's Apple, Inc. communicating that we're still a computer company even though it dropped computer from it's corporate name. From the specs and benchmarks alone, this Mac Pro will last for at least 5 to 7 years before it begins to show it's age. Just curious though if a design refresh is also in the works for the display monitor to match the aesthetic of this machine.

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^been thinking something similar; that this is apple's most post-PC computer! :D oxymoronic? :)

think about it: no optical media, not even mechanical drives. the only moving element in this thing is the fan!

and i don't understand all the fuss about GPU upgrades. haven't these guys heard of the collaboration between nvidia and citrix? they have virtualized GPUs! (google/youtube "nvidia grid vGPU"). soon, anyone can utilize GPUs in the cloud, even from an ipad!

check out this demo video of a macbook pro, using virtualized GPUs (fast forward to 7:40):

[video=youtube;mwuPXT8jrv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwuPXT8jrv4#t=462s[/video]

earlier in the video, they showed an ipad controlling photoshop on a virtual workstation with virtual GPUs in the cloud. here's a similar demo, but in a gaming context.

heck, these guys make the mac pro look over spec'd! so yes, i agree with you raypin; with less moving parts, thunderbolt 2 and general migration towards cloud computing (thanks in part to BYOD: bring your own device), demands for customization are PC leftovers in a post-PC world.

not surprisingly, apple's the first to lose the fat. heck, i can even feel the lightness of my wallet. ;)

13. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

The design is unique and a complete facelift from the current tower. Though I was hoping the new 2013 MPro would still offer internal expansion or user upgradeability. This is just me. Looking at the other side of the coin, maybe the direction Apple is going is to streamline all their Macs- iMacs, MacBook Pros, MBA and the new Mac Pro into "one system" of efficient production and faster repairs. I could be mistaken but maybe since the new model offers lesser user expansion, Apple wants it;s users to buy new Mac Pros at a shorter period of time. With the current tower, users are inclined to upgrade the machine and hang on to it for longer like 5 + more years and this yields slower sales.

Hopefully in the next few months we'll have more info on the specs, pricing and the quick release of new Thunderbolt 2 devices. Thunderbolt 1 took some time to be available in the market but hope TB2 does better.

14. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

I wonder if Mac Pros will allow for Fusion drives via Thunderbolt/USB 3. 800MB/s read/writes are excellent but 128-512GB are tiny. It would be awesome if this was possible.

15. raypin

mmm....the new Mac Pro will offer PCIe-based storage with 1.25 GB/s read and 1.0 GB/s write. That is really fast and probably tops the newest generation of PCIe storage. With a speed demon for storage, who needs to upgrade? You can't get any faster than that without spending thousands of dollars more. Like I said, this machine is state-of-the-art. In comparison, my two-year old, first-gen RevoDrive PCIe SSD tops at 525 MB/s read and 400 MB/s write in Raid 0 configuration.

16. arvindelacruz

arvindelacruz Member

I think the design is great leaving only a small footprint and allowing one to put the machine on top of a desk.
    Storage is always relative: some need more than others.
    It should not matter anymore whether you put the drive inside or via a Thunderbolt port as the speed will still be optimal.

17. mybelle

mybelle New Member

Oooh this is a thing of beauty! I'm digging the sleek design! :D

18. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Hi Arvin. For internal expansion I was referring to general usage and not only storage. Like upgrading GPU and adding PCI cards. I know Flash SSDs are durable with no moving parts. But a Mac Technician told me with flash SSDs it's harder to recover files in case the computer breaks down unlike traditional SATA HDs. So I guess I would need some kind of back up system for that. My setup now is I have my Main master boot drive and a clone of my boot drive for safety. Then another drive for time machine and another for storing all the files. When installing OSX updates and if i encounter glitches, bugs I can easily revert back to the old boot drive. Or when a new OS is launched the clone boot drive comes in handy.

On the new 2013 Mac Pro best to wait for more info and pricing details. The GPU alone, the AMD FirePro 6gb price is around $3,200 - AMD FirePro W9000 100-505632 Video Card - 6GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16), 6x DisplayPort, DirectX 11, AMD Eyefinity, CrossFireX, Dual-Slot at TigerDirect.com This is the PC version. The 12 core E5 2600 version 2 series may be around $1200-1500 and the Flash SSD is around $500? Maybe the total cost of the new Mac Pro is around $5000 + ? But I may be mistaken. On the AMD FirePro, it comes with 3 models, the W5000 at 2Gb, W7000 and W8000 at 4G and the W9000 at 6gb. Maybe Apple made arrangements with AMD to get the GPUs cheaper. And a possibility that a base Mac Pro at lower price and a BTO may be offered at launch. I think the GPUs are proprietary and not user replaceable and the design is not the usual videocard we install ourselves. And will a single GPU be offered too? On the photos I only see one CPU and there seems to be no room for dual CPUs. I guess if we need a specific spec, we buy the whole BTO machine from Apple. They also get to deal with fewer third party suppliers so they made the expansion external for the user to deal with third party suppliers. Again I am not sure on this.

My former high school buddy who now works as Motion Graphics designer in San Francisco CA told me the studio is switching to Windows PCs replacing their Mac Pros sad to say. They're getting the HP premium workstation Z820 HP Z820 Workstation | 16-core Dual Processor Xeon Workstation The workstation has 2 CPUs of 16 cores of Xeon E5 series, 16 memory slots and supports maximum ram of up to 512g Thanks ;)

19. carlodude

carlodude Member

Mac Pro trailer tease

[video=youtube;SQl2FjaKCAQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQl2FjaKCAQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

20. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^I was out of the country this week, when my 11-year-old son emailed me a link to that trailer.

He can't wait to be handed down my 8-core Xeon Mac Pro. :)