The new Apple WATCH

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by LeoCastillo, Aug 28, 2014.

1. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

I just realised that, despite of years of speculation, there is no official thread for this!

According to many online sources (one of many linked below), the long rumoured iWatch will reveal itself on September 9, same day as the iPhone 6. Previous speculations was this year, then moved to next year.

So what do you think? Will it make an appearance on September 9?

What are you looking forward to with the Apple iWatch?

Apple's iWatch is almost definitely coming on September 9th | The Verge

Leo

2. Sleepdoc

Sleepdoc Well-Known Member

With all the leaks of iPhone 6 parts that have been flooding the net, I find it highly unlikely that if an iwatch was to be announced, we would not have seen some leaks about it by now... That being said, it would be a very pleasant surprise for me.:)

3. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, but Apple has gotten away with making surprise reveals without anyone knowing. The Mac Pro, for example. And of course no one had any idea what the first iPhone would look like.

Maybe it's as simple as people didn't know what to look for?

Leo

4. wattleferdz

wattleferdz Active Member

5. Sleepdoc

Sleepdoc Well-Known Member

I certainly hope so Leo. I'm thinking it would integrate well with apple's health kit. I'm also curious as to how big they're going to make their screen that it not look too nerdy.

6. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

"Almost definitely" - that made me LOL. Ah Apple makes the press run around in circles so much that they will print ANYTHING regarding Apple. And Apple is known to ignore internal deadlines when it feels that the product is not ready for prime time. Then the press writes frantically about "delays" and whatnot about an unannounced product. Ah the joy of being on top.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to iwatch paired with ibeacon. Coupled with home kit and handover, this would be a very interesting step forward in the smart home space. I hope it comes with good hardware partners out of the gate.

7. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

This is what makes this interesting for me. The seating capacity of this venue (Flint Center) versus previous keynotes.

Apple campus town hall: 301
    Yerba Buena Center: 757
    San Jose Center for Performing Arts: 1,122

Seating capacity of Flint Center: 2,405

Leo

P.S. Keep in mind that the iPhone, Mac Pro, iPad, iPod and MacBook Air were things people had no idea looked like until it appeared in the keynote. The Mac Pro, iPad and the Macbook Air 11 (which no one saw coming) are particularly interesting since this was in the age of the leaks.

8. airhootie

airhootie Active Member

I don't know what is up their sleeves but Jony Ive's comment may be an indication of what's coming up.

9. redtamayo

redtamayo Well-Known Member

this is the same venue used to announce the first mac, yeah?

however, the theatrics of jobs is gone, phil or even tim has been unable to setup climatic announcements since end of 2011

come to think of it, they now seem to announce products the same way samsung did it last night... 'hello, welcome, tonight we are releasing the note 4, my colleague here will discuss its features, there are demo units at the back. goodnight.'

10. aldwin

aldwin Member

I'm hoping for at least an announcement on sept 9. We need to know what they have before the Motorola watch becomes available.

11. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

I like the way Craig conducts himself.

12. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

It's gonna be exciting!

It's going to be a fitness tracker like no other...
    Nike has shelved their FuelBand to concentrate on the iWatch.

It's going to be a smart watch like no other...
    It's won't look clunky & tacky like a typical smart watch...
    Apple hired execs from LVMH (maker of TAG Heuer, Hublot, Bulgari, etc.. ).

13. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Interesting that they call it a "watch" when telling time is one of the least important things it will do. Of course, the same could be said of the i"phone" --

About the latter, there's a telling moment in the iPhone launch when Steve Jobs says "a phone" and the audience explodes, and he delivers his punch line..."an Internet communicator" and people give him what, relatively speaking, amounts to polite applause. As always, he was ahead of the consumer, who didn't quite get it, yet.

14. macosx

macosx Member

With all the people in the fashion industry that Apple has recruited, it would be interesting to see how their approach to making a smart watch would be. I for one have been a bit uninterested with the current crop of smart watches in the market.

15. aldwin

aldwin Member

I just hope it looks like a watch, and not some futuristic wrist wear that we see from all the artist renders all over the web.

16. essay

essay Active Member

Apple's iWatch

I would not really trust web renders of apple's rumored iwatch at this point. History shows that in the run up to the release of iPhone and iPad, web renders didn't really get it right visually predicting iPhone and iPad.

I will just wait for the official unveiling, and hoping, trusting actually, that I'll be awed...

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2014/09/06/iwatch-wont-expect/

17. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

whatever else it'll be able to do, i hope the iWatch does--cleanly and clearly--what i expect a good watch to do: tell the time.

i'm a big watch guy myself, but one thing i hate about some modern watches (both analog and digital) is how cluttered their faces are with all kinds of gimmicky details that make it very difficult for me to tell the time at a glance.

so first, i expect the iWatch to be a good watch, because i don't want it to be another iPhone or iPad or iPod that i'm going to have to load all kinds of programs into. like the pebble, i'd like it to tell me (quietly and discreetly) if i have messages or calls coming in. at the bare minimum, i'd expect it to be able to do everything the pebble does. beyond that? i'm sure apple will have one or two surprises coming, and i'm ready to be surprised.

i just arrived in the US yesterday for a three-month spell, so i'm pretty sure i'll be coming home with an iWatch and an iPhone 6, if these are rolled out on tuesday as expected (with actual sales to follow maybe a month after). i'll be your guinea pig ;)

18. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

^ looking forward to your hands-on review Sir Butch...

although i understand the synergy across iOS devices (and to some extent, OSX), i would love to see wearable technology that i can use independently even without my other gadgets; my bag is already full as it is and my back has not been at its best lately :)

19. emilgadiano

emilgadiano Member

whew^ excited to hear the hands-on review from our "guinea pig." :)

20. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

I was also hoping it wasn't like any of the mockup iWatch predictions you see everywhere. I am hoping for a traditional look.