The macOS Sierra thread

Discussion in 'Sierra (10.12)' started by penmanila, Jul 6, 2016.

1. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

There is no need to trick the installers of older OS on any Macbook install. The App Store itself will tell you if the installer is not compatible with your Macbook, and if you downloaded it right after running it will immediately tell you also if it supports your Mac. The issue causing your install getting stuck is not due to availability but something with your Mac I guess. Have you done clean install yet?

2. Leviticusrockzph

Leviticusrockzph New Member

Maybe you are right about that, I didn't do a clean install because I don't want to change the settings dough I had a hunch but I'm after to be on a black screen situation or something that I don't know. haha

I just had this mac over from my Dad because he's more Windows, may first mac was an iBook G4 14" my last upgrade with that is the Leopard but the IDE harddrive freezes and the software update are obsolete can surf the net but can't play video.

Anyway I might check that out in the future, but right now I just going to enjoy Sierra.

3. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Recently got a little issue with the wife's MBA. Every time I use it first thing in the morning, it shows an error that says "System ran out of application memory" which made everything frozen and stuck. Like all you would see is the spinning beach ball. You can't force-close anything either. I then had to force a manual reboot but it keeps on happening. I opened up Activity Monitor and it showed that Safari was hogging the hell out of my available memory which leaves the 4GB total ram with only around <50mb.

Few hours of fiddling, manual rebooting, resetting PRAM, NVRAM but to no avail. Then I saw some article online that tells me to clear the folder inside ~\Library\Safari but warned that all bookmarks, reading lists, history, etc will be removed. So its basically like hitting "clear everything" for your Safari. After saving my precious bookmarks and reading lists, I did the trick. One reboot after and the MacBook is back on its old self of not freezing, and having an available memory of >1GB most of the time.

Thought to share it here :)

VicB likes this.
  4. Leviticusrockzph

Leviticusrockzph New Member

that's great @sandybridge_guy just like on PC deleting Prefetch temp memory.

my trouble with my first mac was on the harddrive it definitely freezes - if you got more cash but don't want to buy a new Mac upgrade you HDD to SSD and ram sticks

5. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

macOS Sierra 10.12.4 is now available to the public.

[​IMG]

Release Notes

The macOS Sierra 10.12.4 Update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.
    • Adds Night Shift for automatically shifting the colors in your display to the warmer end of the spectrum after dark.
    • Adds Siri support for cricket scores, schedules, and player rosters from the Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council.
    • Adds Dictation support for Shanghainese.
    • Improves right-to-left language support for the Touch Bar, toolbar, and visual tab picker in Safari.
    • Resolves several PDF rendering and annotation issues in Preview.
    • Improves the visibility of the subject line when using Conversation View in Mail.
    • Fixes an issue that may prevent content from appearing in Mail messages.
    • Adds support for more digital camera RAW formats.
    Enterprise content:
    • Adds the tethered-caching command, which optimizes certain downloads for iOS devices tethered via USB. For details, enter man tethered-caching in Terminal.
    • Updates the security command to include the delete-identity option, which deletes both a certificate and its private key from a keychain. For details, enter man security in Terminal.
    • Updates the profiles command to include the -N flag, which displays a device-enrollment notification that prompts the user to complete Mobile Device Management (MDM) enrollment. For details, enter man profiles in Terminal.
    • Fixes an issue that causes notebook computers connected to certain docking stations to display a blank screen instead of the macOS login window on the built-in display.
    • Fixes an issue that causes a newly changed user-account password to be rejected at the macOS login window, if FileVault is turned on.
    • Adds the ability to automatically renew certain certificates delivered via a configuration profile.
    • Includes numerous Xsan fixes.
    Security Notes
    Available at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207615

Anmi and Qin Zhi like this.
  6. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

I hope they fixed the problem in Mail where the subject vs body is not coordinated.

I know that the temporary fix for this is to "rebuild" the mailbox... but after a while, it happens again. - and I hate doing this every now and then.

7. 4p0se

4p0se Active Member

Any tips on how to install mac sierra 10.12.6 - having a problem in installing it.

8. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

We obviously need more details to be able to help you. For starters:
    • Do you already have an earlier release of macOS Sierra installed (i.e. 10.12.0 to 5), and simply would like upgrade it to the latest release (10.12.6)?
    • On the other hand, if your Mac runs on an earlier version of the operating system (i.e. El Capitan or earlier), kindly inform us:
      • your current OS X or macOS version; and
      • you Mac (year and model); and
    • Briefly describe the problem you are having installing macOS Sierra.

~~~~~~~~

EDIT: As a quick search here revealed to me that you use a 2015 rMBP to which you have already installed macOS Sierra, I now presume that your only problem is upgrading it to its latest release (10.12.6).

Having said that, in case you're having difficulty updating to 10.12.6 using the App Store, I recommend that you download the macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Combo Update here and install it manually.

I hope this helps. ;)

#188 Qin Zhi, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Sunil_K and penmanila like this.
  9. 4p0se

4p0se Active Member

Thank you. Will do that.

10. 4p0se

4p0se Active Member

Thank you very much Sir. Already updated to 10.12.6

11. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

for those on the high sierra beta:

Special Instructions
    A New Full Installer is Available

17A362a is now available in the App Store as a FULL INSTALLER ONLY. You will NOT find a software update in the Updates pane of the App Store. Please back-up important information or clone your drive, and review the release notes and detailed installation instructions completely before attempting to install the software.

Installation Instructions
    You must be on the latest build, macOS High Sierra Developer Preview 9 (17A360a) in order to install macOS High Sierra Developer Preview 10 (17A361a). If you have automatic updates on, the full installer will download in the background, and you will see a notification.

Full Installer Instructions.
    Please follow the detailed instructions below or go directly to the App Store Product Page to download the full installer.

MharDelaCruz likes this.
  12. MharDelaCruz

MharDelaCruz Member

This explains why I am not getting the GM, let me try it now

Edit, I am getting error clicking the link below, anyway I went to the beta website and was able to direct to the download page in appstore

#192 MharDelaCruz, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  13. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

just FYI, got this message from apple today (note the dates):

[​IMG]

Your feedback helped us make these our best releases yet.

The iOS 11, tvOS 11, and macOS High Sierra GM candidates are now available for you to install. Please send us any feedback you might have.

The final releases for iOS and tvOS will be available on September 19th. And the final release for macOS will be available on September 25th.

Go to the Apple Beta Software Program [​IMG]

14. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

high sierra wont mount my portable HD. Did a research, need to update my HD to APFS as per advise over the net. But is there a loophole or an app that would make me access/write on my potable hd? converting to APFS means my hd can only be detected by high sierra os macs only :( cant share it to PC or other old mac os users

15. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

What's the file system of your portable HD: HFS+ or NTFS?

If it's HFS+, it should be mountable as APFS is downward compatible. This Macworld article confirms it. Also, Time Machine in High Sierra only backs-up on an HFS+ formatted hard drive (for the time being, that is). Thus, if you're unable to mount an HFS+ formatted hard drive on High Sierra, it's safe to say that it's not the HFS+ file system per se that's the problem, rather the problem lies elsewhere. Among others, check if your HFS+ formatted external drive mounts on other Macs.

On the other hand, if your problem is mounting an NTFS-formatted external drive with High Sierra, particularly by means of Paragon NTFS for Mac, check if Paragon NTFS had been blocked by High Sierra. To do that: go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General; check the bottom if Paragon NTFS had been blocked and click "Open Anyway" to unblock it. Restart your Mac and it should work fine.

zagu and penmanila like this.
  16. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

thank you!! now its working!!!! THANKS a bunch!!