The iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by johannes, Oct 24, 2012.

1. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

im willing to bet that next year this will be on a retina display with the same price. im with Booblanco here, it's all marketing bullc#@*. they should've made it a retina display.

2. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

imho, they priced the iPad mini at the same price they'll sell its upgraded version in a few months. by then, many would think that it's a bargain. pure psychological pricing and Apple is very, very good at this.

3. aries405

aries405 Member

with the base price , it would be an ipod touch killer

4. enki_

enki_ Member

not sure if this has been answered already...any news on when it will land in the Phils?
    Are we expecting a 20%-30% markup in the US base price to landed cost?
    TIA :)

5. jcruze057

jcruze057 Member

oh no, is the processor not the same with ipad 4? so sad, I will still have to skip the first version I guess, and would consider samsung galaxy note 2 instead

6. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

I'll wait for the next gen-- if they improve to the battery usage :)

7. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

even if it could have been better, with Xmas bonus in hand, it'll be hard to resist the iPad mini's looks. this will sell like hotcakes: an iPad you don't have to leave at home.

7-8" tablets have always been the sweet spot.

8. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

the ipad mini looks beautiful, but i'd like to try one first before pulling the trigger on it. i have a worry that the 7.9" screen will be too small to sport an ipad 2 resolution. i may be mistaken though, that's why i want to try it out first. :)

personally i still believe that the ipad 2 is the best value among all versions (if you don't mind not having a retina display) simply because it can do everything that the ipad 3rd/4th gen can do, but at a much, MUCH lower price point (at least from online sellers).

9. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

One thing that the iPad mini will definitely not do as well as the iPad 3/4.

Landscape keyboard. The current size of the iPad 3/4 is just right to type with two hands. I bet typing on the iPad mini will be more with thumbs ala iPhone. I think this is why the iPad came in the 9.7" size first, to show that it can replace netbooks (remember those?)

Notice that we have not seen someone do landscape keyboard on the iPad mini with with two hands. The landscape keyboard will probably be about the same size as the iPad 3/4s portrait keyboard.

Leo

10. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Well-Known Member

apple seem to be able to price their upgraded products the same as the previous generation, since by the time of the new product release, costs of the components could have lessened due to improved production yields. new products that have lots of new components seem to have a steep price at first, such as the macbook pro with retina display and macbook air. but eventually when the sales/profit becomes good enough, and components become cheaper, there can and will be price reductions. and for incremental product upgrades, the estimated sales/profit seem to compensate for the same pricing.

11. airhootie

airhootie Active Member

My hunch why the iPad Mini wasn't given a retina display is that, if it had one, you wouldn't be thinking much about the iPad 2/4. For portability go with the Mini; for additional resolution go with the iPad 2/4. Eventually once they've seen how much upside potential the Mini would have, that's the time they would tool it with the Retina and provide the regular sized iPad with another "premium" feature. This would maintain the pricing and product matrix that Apple would like to have.

12. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

a 30USD difference and you get a little more screen, an iPad you can actually bring with you than the original size iPad.

They are both wifi only.

You lose the Retina Display. One can live with that.

You lose half the capacity (16GB versus 32GB). One can live with that.

30USD. Less than 1500 PHP. This is just too close to the iPod Touch base model.

Had I not ordered the iPod Touch 5th Gen (and I will sound regretful here Ü), or if they were released together, I would have opted for this iPad Mini. No brainer.

13. CruciaL

CruciaL Well-Known Member

I can't wait for PhilMug's iPad Mini Pre-Order Roll Call

:p

14. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

agree on this one bro. like i said, throw in all the bells and whistles at the ipad mini and consumers will have to pay a premium for that. which isnt apple's aim at this point as they want the ipad on the hands of many more users hence the cheaper price. besides, its good for consumers to get a better product for the same price point in the next upgrade.

15. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

Will the iPad mini run the camera apps designed for the iPhone?

16. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

iPad mini will run iPad 2 apps. They have the same 1024 x 768 resolution. iPad mini's 163 ppi beating iPad 2's 132ppi.

17. outaru-go

outaru-go Member

I think yes but scaled, it's like a miniature ipad 2 in terms if resolution.

18. Briggy

Briggy Member

This would be a very nice upgrade to my iPad 2 which I seldom use now since my partner has it most of the time. Can't wait for November 2!!!

19. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Ipad mini great size for me sakto u skiped the itouch 5 and was bot able to purchase iphone5 . Mini for me then

Kamusta kaya battery nito

20. DarkHalf

DarkHalf Active Member

Hahhaha... I was one of those... :D After he finished his ipad 4 intro though, I kept waiting for... "wait, here's more". And I was sitting at the edge of my seat as I watched his keynote of the ipad 4 turn to show the ipad mini hiding behind it. Yay!