The Hong Kong thread

Discussion in 'Travel' started by morphine, Feb 6, 2007.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....HK ritual for me. A visit to HK is not complete unless there’s afternoon tea. Urban Park (Central):

712BABB5-4D08-44BA-8B1A-A13C6B0407CF.jpeg

Dainty. Pinky up! :ROFLMAO:

#2921 raypin, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    hitme64, Sunil_K and ronjet like this.
  2. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

i forgot when you go to ocean park ride on this one. my favorite ride.

[​IMG]

also the mine train got an upgrade now with VR.

greta87, ronjet and raypin like this.
  3. jetan

UNLI?

4. raypin

Mm...not unli.

jetan likes this.
  5. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

I wonder why I always feel hungry every time I see posts in this thread :D... LOL!

ronjet and raypin like this.
  6. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Will be in HK later at the end of the year. Any recommendations for a good hotel near the harbourfront with a great view of the fireworks? Will have a baby with us, so we're hoping not to mingle with the crowds at the viewing deck near the museum area/Star Ferry terminal on the Kowloon side.

7. raypin

Mm...Intercon Harbourside would be my no. 1 choice.

https://www.hong-kong-traveller.com/hotels-for-hong-kong-fireworks.html

8. geraldo3

geraldo3 Member

awww :( thanks!

jetan likes this.
  9. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I almost forgot what HK is like...22 years since i last went there...I always thought this was the go-to place for a quick respite from the Manila heat and stress...but then Singapore or Thailand or Vietnam or Malaysia or even Laos beckoned...

But I favor HK now because this vibrant, modern city mellows with time, like aged wine...you don’t get to go elsewhere yet until going to HK they say and that I will do even if it’s a weekend hopper...

SE20, Sheryl., Sunil_K and 4 others like this.
  10. raypin

Mm...my very first visit to HK was in 1979. We were aboard Reyna Pilipina that sailed from Manila to HK. God, I still remember the horrible, horrible experience aboard that “cruise ship.” It was literally the cruise from hell. At one point, the ship’s engine conked out in the middle of the South China Sea. Food was bad and the ship-wide toilets were backed up. Many passengers threw up or were seasick but the majestic sight of the Hong Kong skyline as our ship limped into port was like biblical salvation. Needless to say that our group (family and extended family members numbering around 30) rushed our way out of the ship and scrambled to book hotel rooms in Kowloon although our passage was round trip aboard that ship.

SE20, Qin Zhi, Dekra and 4 others like this.
  11. raypin

Mm...cont....needless to say that the first visit was very special. It was my first time to taste Cadbury chocolates (which was extremely rare to find in Manila) and big, beautiful grapes (also a rarity in Manila back then). Of course, we piled on the numerous electronics shops along Nathan Road to buy big TVs (the big, fat ones), Betamax machines, cameras and wristwatches. Back then, HK was super cheap (with the exchange rate of about Php 7.00 to USD 1.00). Malakas pa ang piso nun. Lol!

wulf, Dekra, Qin Zhi and 3 others like this.
  12. hitme64

^My first visit to HK was in 1967 and we stayed at the Intercon Hotel (i know this because up to now my mom still keeps that dinner plate from the dining hall she swiped then)...all i remember during that overnight stay (as we were going to home from a two-year stay in Bangkok) was that the plush beds were heaven...and the food was delicious (actually some Continental breakfast but who knew what it was then)...and the sweets were chocolates heavy with syrup...

My father bought us our very first Seiko wristwatches then...I found out they were Grand Seikos which now are a fortune for rabid collectors...we lost them during a robbery at our home when I was 13yo.

wulf, jerichojanolo, Qin Zhi and 5 others like this.
  13. Sheryl.

Sheryl. Active Member

My first trip to HK was fun. stayed at the Mandarin and got my first Montblanc pen.
    It was my favourite place when I need camera lens (when I was into photography).
    But for the past 5 years, I go to HK 3 times a year to EAT! And shop shoes — because I have small feet. They always have my size! :)

14. hitme64

^Well I think it's time to return to HK again...good time to slosh, to snooze, to wallow in the depths of money-gobbling chores..."hay buhay"

15. pandecoco

pandecoco Member

Nostalgia time! My first visit to HK was in the early 1980s, by overnight train from Peking where I was studying Chinese. (China then was very “red”, :Mao suits, baggy pants, and cotton overcoats of blue or green, drab and grey). When the train was in Guangdong, I saw bandera espanola plants and banana trees, I was almost crying! Then, after HK immigration, FREEDOM! we had very little money, only spent for hostel and food, we stayed in the infamous Chungking Mansions! And I was happy to buy and eat MMs! And walk and walk Nathan Road to Mongkok! Hongkongers were rather amused that we spoke Putonghua with a Beijing accent; then, Cantonese reigned supreme. Fast forward 2018, it is said that HK is a Chinese colony....

Sunil_K, ronjet, Qin Zhi and 2 others like this.
  16. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

ronjet and raypin like this.
  17. jetan

i first went to HK as a solo traveller back in 2007. joined the tour group that time to explore HK. we stayed at Shamrock Hotel in Jordan. i was a bit skeptical to go out that time since i didnt know the place. after going back for 3 time i started to learn the place via google maps. haha thanks to CSL.

ronjet, Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  18. raypin

Mm...google maps still not reliable for walking navigation. Tried it numerous times but the margin of error is far too high (accuracy is one or two streets away). So, I had to adapt. I just use Google maps as an old-fashioned paper map and use my brain to reorient me to the right direction.

jetan, ronjet, vic2rp and 2 others like this.
  19. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

I agree. I’d use it to point me in the general direction because it’s not accurate. A number of times it put me in a location different from where I was standing.

raypin likes this.
  20. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

This is so true. I didn't experience this problem in big cities such as Tokyo, Shanghai and Seoul. Maybe the government wants to take your eyes off the phone when walking. Hahaha.

jetan and raypin like this.