The Headphones Thread

Discussion in 'Musicians and DJs' started by macxchange, Mar 14, 2007.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

rbenzon likes this.
  2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Yup. I got my workaround from Darko. :)

Did a reality distortion/cognitive bias check—A/B/C comparison of a song in three different formats/sources:
    A) Local FLAC @192KHz/24-bit
    B) Tidal HiFi FLAC @48KHz/24-bit
    C) Spotify Premium (Ogg Vorbis?) @320kbps

A and B were nearly indistinguishable; A's higher resolution was barely noticeable
    C sounds closer to A and B than the formats and bitrate lead us to believe. The only difference I heard was a slight dynamic compression on C.

That said, if I can barely distinguish these three on a head-fi signal chain (Mac Pro > Yggdrasil DAC > Ragnarok > Ether Flow), I'm not sure my aptX HD GAS is worthwhile either, especially given the higher noise floor on the go.

There's portability, and there's mobility. I like the MDR-1000X as an untethered solution around the house/office. But it is less portable (bulk-wise) than my CIEMs.

So maybe, I'll ignore the B.I.s and try the cheapest aptX HD enabler first: https://www.inateck.com/wireless-products/inateck-br1006-black.html :)

jai bautista and raypin like this.
  3. raypin

mm....speaking of the MDR 1000X, I'm not really a fan. I tried it once. No go for me but I do appreciate the noise cancellation and all that but SQ wise, I'd rather stick with a well-fitted CIEMs for excellent passive sound isolation and excellent SQ.

jai bautista likes this.
  4. jai bautista

jai bautista Active Member

@rbenzon

Hahahaha :p the MDR-1000x ver. 1 is on sale at EggHead for only Php15k, with an additional discount for cash payment. :)

That said...if you can still wait for the ver. 2 of the 1000x, I would suggest that you do considering that the ver. 1 units have been blighted with cracking headbands.

I'm very sorry for your wallet sir :p

rbenzon and raypin like this.
  5. jai bautista

@raypin

I actually rarely use the 1000x; the only times I use it are when I'm traveling or I'm tired of using my IEMs. Sound-wise, for the price, i think it's a bit of a luxury. But when I consider the overall package, as well as the situations in which i need the excellent ANC and BT features, they're on a class of their own. That's why even if there had been many times in which i though of selling them I have kept holding on to them. :p

raypin, ronnel0918 and rbenzon like this.
  6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

No worries. I only pulled the trigger on the aptX HD transmitter/receiver. So my cheap wireless home solution will be:
    Tidal > Yggdrasil > RCA> aptX HD transmitter (Inateck) > aptX HD receiver (XB10) > CIEM or any of my over-the-ear headphones​

On the road, I'll stick to my CIEM. So it'll be:
    MBP > aptX (XB10) > CIEM; and
    iPhone > SBC > CIEM​

IMO, the biggest SQ factor for mobile (assuming one already has a good set of ear/headphones) is the source, not BT codec. Local FLAC/ALAC, Tidal (AAC), and Spotify Premium are all audibly better than mp3s—which is no longer a weak link, after I deleted all mp3 music from my life.

So for now, the itch has been scratched. The next one might come when the Xperia XZ1 Compact is released. Local FLAC or Tidal > LDAC or aptX HD. :)

jai bautista and ronnel0918 like this.
  7. jai bautista

Despite the strong urge, good thing I didn't sell my HE-400i. After having its default SE cable reterminated to XLR 4-pin, I would like to believe that I am finally hearing how it's supposed to sound: spacious, transparent, and full of PRaT! Getting a pair for only USD299, had you bought one during the recent HifiMan sale, would be a great steal! :3

[​IMG]

ronnel0918, rbenzon and raypin like this.
  8. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

Still rocking my Bose QC-2

9. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

HD650 cable.jpg
    Will be trying this out this afternoon:
    Made by my..uhmmm.. "Cable" guy ;):cool:o_O
    Specs:
    Military grade, solid silver plated copper wire
    Neutrik 1/4 PL plug
    Cardas Audio HD 650 connectors

jai bautista and raypin like this.
  10. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Finally got the replacement pads (75mm) that I ordered from Aliexpress:

C182EA31-4264-4A27-A468-5F24B6EE77D9.jpeg

raypin likes this.
  11. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX is dropping for $199! Seriously considering getting a pair.

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Just make sure your player can power its 300-ohm impedance. Most smartphones are not loud enough to drive that to a head-bobbing level.

Roman likes this.
  13. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

So I’ll need pa an amp/DAC to power it? Haha dagdag gastos!

14. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Well, the root word of gastos is GAS. :)

You can go to Egghead and see if your player can sufficiently drive an HD600 or an HD650, both 300-ohm cans. If not, AMPucha.

You think head-fi is short for headphone fidelity? It's headphone finance. :D

15. jai bautista

Well-designed head-fi gear really do stand the test of time. The Sennheiser Amperior, for example, is an impeccable listen with portable devices. What more when hooked to a decent desktop setup? Define "tight". :cool:

[​IMG]

16. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

Been thinking of getting a DAP. Anyone here own the Fiio X5? When the red units come in, I'm not going anywhere near Egghead, I'm not sure I can resist. Haha.

If my HPs are: Bose QC35, AKG Q701 and soon to be ATH M50X, is it worth buying a DAP versus using my Samsung phone?

17. raypin

mmm....get a dedicated machine/DAP for your 3 headphones to maximize the potential. Fiio is a good starting point.

#2937 raypin, Oct 15, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 9:57 PM
    tonedeaf likes this.
  18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Either a DAP or a DAC/amp with a different architecture/sound signature, such as the Chord Mojo.

But then, it might not matter if you live up to your username. ;)

tonedeaf and raypin like this.