The Headphones Thread

Discussion in 'Musicians and DJs' started by macxchange, Mar 14, 2007.

1. jai bautista

jai bautista Active Member

@raypin

Yup, there was a defect with the left driver that was discovered by Pak Rudiwidjaja (yes, his excellency King Rudi) when he tried my original MDR-1000X unit after having dinner with him and Sid Malhotra of Wired For Sound here in Jakarta almost two months ago. King Rudi noticed that while playing an audiophile recording that featured Japanese drums the left driver had woolier and scattered bass (I hope I am making any sense here); King Rudi opined that there might be microtears in the diaphragm, hence the woolly sound. What I appreciate with Sony's distro in Indonesia is they didn't ask additional queries when I sent my unit for RMA. That said, the turnaround took around two months, which is quite slow considering Sony's size. Then again, according to the local distro, stocks of the MDR-1000X has been quite low due to its popularity.

Yep, when I compare its sound against my other gear, it pales in comparison. That said, I have very specific uses for the MDR-1000X (while traveling, especially in planes, and while walking around Jakarta during weekends). I am amazed with its ANC feature (which I feel is better than the Bose QC35), as well as the other features you've mentioned. If judged solely on sound, the MDR-1000X doesn't make any sense. But when you consider its overall feature set for your specific set of uses, I think the MDR-1000X acquits itself rather well. :)

raypin likes this.
  2. abielbad

abielbad Member

I received an email from Marshall. It seems they'll release the wireless Monitor soon...

3. jai bautista

The Elear never ceases to amaze me. Despite having owned both the Elear and the Hugo 1 since January this year, this is the first time I've used both as a pair (Hugo -> Elear). And the Elear already sounds terrific with 'just' the Hugo 1! Perfect bedtime companions. :D

[​IMG]

raypin likes this.
  4. cyberathlete

cyberathlete Active Member

I am by no means an audiophile, but based on my "extensive research" (a few minutes of googling), the ATH M50s are the best bang-for-the-buck headphones out there.
    They do sound great and really comfy compared to my previous headphones (Marshall Major), but I feel like I'm not using these cans to their full potential. I only use these on an S7 playing spotify on extreme quality. Any recommendations on how to further maximize use of these headphones via spotify?
    [​IMG]

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..use a headphone amp, or better yet a portable amp/DAC, that can be used with your Android smartphone. With an amp/dac, make sure that the phone supports OTG audio. Smartphones do not have the power to fully drive a headphone.

cyberathlete likes this.
  6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I have an ATH40fs, M50 and M50x. They're all good monitoring cans; fairly honest, for the price.

You can take raypin's suggestion. But IMO, you're close to the ceiling for that tier. Upgrading cans or DAC/amp may only bring about marginal improvements, unless you can also upgrade the source—the files themselves. Alas, Spotify maxes out at 320kbps (for now), which is great for most pop, rock, or anything that's got a busy mix (lots of instruments). But it is hard to discern nuances (dynamics, frequency response, staging, pace, reverb tails, etc.) that typically "define audiophile", when they're drowned out by everything that goes on in rock 'n roll, pop, and electronica.

Enjoy your set-up, and save up to step up. :)

7. jai bautista

New toy to burn in! Looks much purrtier in person. :)

[​IMG]

raypin likes this.
  8. jai bautista

Tonight's all-nighter companion...it's been quite some time since I last used my DX90. Initially, I thought of selling it. But after today's re-acquaintance with it, I am now having second thoughts of selling it. Hahaha :p

[​IMG]

9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^try listening to "let it go". it might help if you sing along loudly. :D

i took the plunge and let go of my schiit gungnir multibit, after i ordered the upgrade. alas, the replacement's restocking did not go as scheduled. gotta endure 4-5 more weeks of waiting. oh well. back to delta-sigma mediocrity. ;)

ronnel0918 and jai bautista like this.
  10. jai bautista

@rbenzon

Looks like it's a good reason to look for a Frozen OST album at my suking CD shop! :D

Also looking forward to seeing the full enchilada (Ragna +

11. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

A little OT: Where's a good place to buy CDs these days?

May I ask where your suki is? :)

12. jai bautista

I'm currently based outside Manila, specifically in Jakarta, where I do most of my CD buying. I'm buying my CDs from the record stores, as well as from second hand CD shops. Good thing is that the retail market for CDs remains alive and well here.

So far, here's my small collection:

[​IMG]

Sunil_K likes this.
  13. Jess

Jess Well-Known Member

14. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

What would you guys recommend:
    1) Sennheiser HD650
    Or
    2) ATH M50x
    OR
    3) Stick to my Philips Fidelio X2?
    Btw,I'm only in the $350 price range. Some of you guys have ears too rich for my taste (and budget). LoL!

Btw, I was able to get a Xonar with Muses Op Amps recently and the previous owner kept pushing me to get the 650's.
    I'm happy with the X2s, don't get me wrong. I was just wondering why the 650's are getting a lot of high praises.

15. jai bautista

@jcsantamarina

Since you already have the ASUS Xonar, definitely the HD650. It remains a widely praised HP despite the release of newer models from other head-fi brands because of its sound, especially when paired with a proper desktop amp (like the Xonar). I have an HD600 (its sibling) and its midrange is to kill for; personally, it has arguably the best midrange performance among dynamic driver HPs, even better than the HD800 (that's just me though, so YMMV).

jcsantamarina likes this.
  16. jai bautista

I thought my DAP journey was over, since I already have the Hugo 1.

If there's anything I learned with my head-fi journey, there isn't any end game. Hahahaha :p

[​IMG]

raypin likes this.
  17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..just be careful with the optical out of the Sony. Mine (toslink) doesn't work anymore. Otherwise, it is still a good, albeit weird-looking, DAP. Too bad I do not record audio. It is an excellent high-res pro audio recorder.

jai bautista likes this.
  18. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Thanks boss!

Check ko muna kung may mura dito sa Amazon.. Hehe..

19. jai bautista

I've just started using the remote control that came with my D100. It's a godsend! :)

[​IMG]

raypin likes this.