The first iPhone: Six Years since release

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by LeoCastillo, Jun 30, 2013.

1. elbert

elbert Active Member

I got mine a couple of days after the US release. My brother-in-law lined up at an Apple Store on the day of the release, which was the day he left for Manila. It was a surprise pasalubong, I didn't ask for it, and didn't expect it. He just knew how thrilled I would be to be one of the first to have one.

I am sure I was not the first to have one in the Philippines. Since he flew via NW Airlines, he arrived at midnight, whereas the PAL flight arrived early morning. I was, however, the first documented owner of an iPhone in the Philippines. It got me on TV, first in the morning show of ANC, with kilikilipower interviewing me for a live demo, and then on TV Patrol.

For the days to come, I felt like the alalay of a superstar. Be it in Starbucks, at the bank or in a bar, strangers would walk to me and ask to see the iPhone. It was the topic of conversation with everyone I would bump into. Friends and relatives would call me up for mini meet-ups and reunions.

All for the iPhone that couldn't make calls yet, since it was locked to AT&T. It was essentially am iPod touch, before the touch was invented.

When I finally got to make the GSM on it work (thanks to a PhilMUGger who figured how to clone SIMs for the iPhone), I racked up a huge bill that month. I couldn't stop using it, especially since I was very liberating to finally be able to use it as an actual phone.

This photo was taken with my Treo, right after I unboxed the iPhone.

[​IMG]

2. sage99

sage99 Member

got my iphone 8GB late 2007 @ ebay ph, still using it until now

3. oloc

oloc Member

I can't afford the iPhone when it was released. Imagine, i bought my first car(lancer box type) for Php 33,000, then i saw the iPhone being sold in one of the shops in Megamall for a whopping Php 63,000!! :0

3G and 3GS later, i got fed up of bringing an ipod touch and SE K-800i on my daily commute to office so i finally decided to get a used iPhone 2G. i never liked the design of 3G and 3GS. For me, the first iPhone is still the best looking iPhone until now. I only decided to get an iPhone 4 for the 3G data connectivity. my iPhone history : iphone 2G > iPhone 4 white > iPhone 4S black > iPhone 4S white > iPhone 4 black. :)

4. ben2010

ben2010 Member

before i got my first iphone (it was a 3gs), im into samsung and htc...i noticed that touch screen of iphone was way, way better than samsung and htc. now im using my 3rd iphone (3gs, 4 then 5)...my 3gs is with my son, my iphone4 is with my wife, and all were very durable, didnt have to fix anything eversince. got an ipad3 and ipadmini too to complement my iphones.:)

5. mauwrr

mauwrr Member

Got my first iPhone today, a 2nd hand iPhone 5 I bought from an online seller, to complement my iPad 2. Just like my iPad, the price was a steal! After contemplating much about having to buy an iPhone 6, I resorted to a 2nd hand iPhone - just to test the waters. I think, sunod-sunod na ito. I'm in love :)

6. dubeditions

dubeditions Member

7. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

hey, glad to see dubeditions posting again. for those who don't know who he is, he's part of iphone and philmug history in the philippines--the guy who, shall we say, found a way to make the first iphone work with our local sim cards back in 2007 ;)

8. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Welcome back Aldritch (dubeditions!) We were all able to make our 1st gen iPhones work because of him ;-)

Leo