The City of Paris

Discussion in 'Travel' started by PowerPee, Oct 22, 2011.

1. eomasilungan

eomasilungan Member

2. kuting

kuting New Member

There is a way to eat for cheap and not suffer naman :) You can buy stuff in the supermarkets & boulangeries which are really good & also great to share - cheese, deli cuts, salad kits, sandwiches, bread, wine, soda, fruits then go on picnics. Even Parisiens do this. Paris is so perfect for picnics!

But also plan to set money aside to experience a French bistro - a lot naman offer fixed prix menus that are amazing and reasonably priced.

3. auron

auron Member

wow paris.. :D

4. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

Can anyone share some tips and itenerary for Paris trip. I'm planning this as super late honeymoon with the wifey. (got married last May)

1. Place/area to stay: Some posts above recommends La Fayette, any other recommendations.
    2. Mode of transpo: Bus, train or taxi?
    3. Places to visit: Aside from the usual attractions, any other place to visit or things to do to maximize our stay.

I'm looking around 3rd week of November this year to visit. Will be probably stay 7 nights (I'm using RCI exchange week). Hopefully that would be enough (if not too long) to enjoy this wonderful city.

Thanks in advance!

5. Joyce D

Joyce D Globe Telecom Rep

My dream destination! Are the people there as nice and as hospitable like us filipinos? :)

6. Metanoia

Metanoia Member

Was blessed enough to be there in 1997 and stayed on for a week sometime in August, which is summer. I enjoyed the culture and food, but warmth and hospitality? No one else beats the Filipino.

7. deepdiver

deepdiver Member

i suggest going to the grocery and grab yourself some cold cuts, bread and water/soda, bring them with you as you go around the city. have just one good/decent meal in a resto per day, i highly recommend dinner para masarap ang tulog mo. bulk of you expense would be for museums and transportation, not sure how much the metro rates are right now but allot a minimum of 10 euros unless you plan to do a lot of walking.

8. Fireworks

Fireworks Member

I survived my Paris trip eating nothing but croissants. 6 croissants for 2 euros at the shops near the train. "Bonjour" if I'm not mistaken. It was lovely. I just had really expensive coffee nearby the scenic view! :)

9. deepdiver

deepdiver Member

i stayed in bestwestern hotel along boulevard saint michael last i was in paris, its just a few steps away from the metro. checkout laterooms, hostelworld and other online sites to get the best deals. just make sure the hotel/hostel is just walking distance from the metro to be able to go around the city without blowing your budget or holes on your shoes.

if you're planning to hit the museums and go around a lot you might want to consider getting a paris pass What Is The Paris Pass? - Learn How It Can Save You Time & Money just check if the museums you want to visit are open during the dates your going there.

10. eomasilungan

eomasilungan Member

I was able to avail of the free admission for all visitors at the Louvre Museum on the first Sunday of each month.

11. AthanWylde

AthanWylde Active Member

VISAS FINALLY APPROVED!!!! YAHOOO!

Now... can someone help me out. Will need to know what's the most cost effective way of getting from Zurich to Paris? :) Thanks in advance! Don't care if it's by plane, train, or piggybacking on the backs of euro nationals... I need it to be cheap! haha.

12. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Your night-time Eiffel Tower photos are copyright violations - SlashGear

13. R-T

R-T Active Member

has anyone of you guys been in Paris during winter (i.e. Xmas)?

14. quiksilverjohn03

Tips on getting a Schengen Visa? Sorry if this is discussed in another thread.

15. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i have. it's freezing, but pretty in its own way. fewer people, too ;)

16. penmanila

Staff Member

it helps if you've traveled before. make sure you have your travel plans well plotted out--cities, hotels, transport, etc.do a lot of research online. they want to see you answered for every step of the way--"if it's tuesday, this must be belgium," etc. i don't think they require actual bookings (because you could still be denied) but i make my bookings in advance, anyway (as much as possible, those you can cancel penalty-free, like hotels through booking.com). of course you may also be asked to prove that you can support yourself--although, truth to tell, i've never been asked to show bank statements or anything like that, but i'd be prepared, anyway. this is purely a hunch, but it might be easier to get a visa into countries that are going through an economic crisis and need all the tourists they can get--like spain, which is always worth a visit, crisis or not ;) from there you can move on to france, etc.

17. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Bumping up this thread, for those that can share their experience. We'll be celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary in December, and it'll be a double celebration, since my wife will also be finished with her residency training. I'm thinking of bringing her to Paris for 4-5 days, then hop on the train to visit an aunt in Rome. Setting aside a portion per month to save up for the trip :)

18. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

Any hotel recommendations?? Thanks

19. R-T

R-T Active Member

My wife and I were there last December and again last Holy Week. Yes it was freezing but the right type of clothing will make it tolerable. There were still a lot of tourists even though it was winter, which I find strange coz there were fewer when we went back early spring. Plus the days were shorter so less time to explore. Getting around paris is easy thanks to the metro. I recommend you find a hotel near any line 1 station. If you're on a budget (which I doubt) consider airbnb.

Louvre and musee d'orsay are must go to places. We had a night bike tour and a ferry ride on the seine which was super awesome. They didn't call paris the city of lights for nothing. The wife did some shopping at rue saint Honoré to take advantage of the weak euro and tax refund. Avoid la fayette -crowd is just unbearable. We had walking tours with a local at the Jewish quarter and montmartre. We were able to explore Versailles garden and park by bike. That place was just so huge it would be impossible to cover everything on foot. So before we entered, we bought some baguette, jambon, cheese and drinks and packed it all on the bike. We had a picnic baside a lake in Marie Antoinette's village. Not your usual tour. It was a different experience throughout. We spent 5 days in Paris and it was still not enough.

Good luck and enjoy Paris. I'm sure you will be back for more. Tip: to earn brownie points from your wife, take her to pont des artes, bring a padlock.

20. penmanila

Staff Member

No more padlocks at Pont des Artes. They've taken them down because the locks were beginning to weigh down the bridge!

Had a lovely time in Paris with my wife last May, our first return in 15 years. Spent most of it at the Louvre and the giant flea market in Clignancourt. Stayed at Le Meridien Etoile.