The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. MharDelaCruz

MharDelaCruz Member

I just saw in the PH Apple Store that the Apple TV 4K is available for order but with 4 to 5 weeks shipping time. Anyone knows if this is already available in local stores? Otherwise, I will just order online.

2. christopher

christopher Member

Sorry I somewhat brainfarted when reading your reply, I use Nvidia Shield TV which supports 4k as well. I haven't tried Google TV.

#2842 christopher, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  3. christopher

christopher Member

Yeah just noticed earlier in the morning too. Hoping our local distros have stock soon. I'm psyche and was waiting for the 4k version to be released.

4. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

A neat and subtle Apple TV feature:

While in the home screen, long press the play/pause button of your Siri remote for ~3 seconds and let it go to get to the audio source menu. Works with AirPods.

Anmi likes this.
  5. denzzurcaled

denzzurcaled New Member

Got an Apple TV 4k in Powermac Megamall last Friday (October 27). They even offer it on zero percent installment.

MharDelaCruz likes this.
  6. ry1215

ry1215 New Member

Nice, I've been waiting for its local release. Are you on PH account? Would you be able to confirm if the '4k' movies are really 4k?

Because unlike the US store, they have SD/HD options, and sell at almost $20 per movie, but in the PH store movies are just P600 and no SD/HD option. I tried buying from google play once, unfortunately HD felt like it was only 720p.

7. MharDelaCruz

MharDelaCruz Member

Got mine from an online store (not sure if I can mention here) and I am using a PH iTunes account. I just watched (rented) War for the Planet of the Apes and Spiderman Homecoming and the status in my TV says both in 4K. The former is in HDR while the latter is in Dolby Vision. I can only stream and could not download the 4K content. In Google movies I only have SD/HD option.

8. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

I have a question, I aggregate my source on my Onkyo receiver. However, its only HD will I get 4k out to my UHD TV?

9. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

All devices have to be 4K/HDR compatible. What you can do is connect the source to the TV, and running an optical cable (or the like) to the receiver; downside is you won't get the best audio possible.

10. aligonzales

aligonzales New Member

Sir, how many months to pay yung 0% installment?

11. denzzurcaled

denzzurcaled New Member

Zero percent up to 12 months. You may want to call the store first before going there as I heard they have limited initial stocks.

12. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member

For those with ATV4K, how is the 4K content streaming? Do you have a PH iTunes or US iTunes? I understand Netflix streams UHD at 25mbps but they have their own compression technology. It also helps if you do not spoof your DNS so you get full speed from their servers. How about Apple's stream?

13. ry1215

ry1215 New Member

Got it! Thank you!

14. ygee

ygee Member

Hi guys, I saw the Apple TV 4K in one Apple Reseller, and the 32GB costs P11,990. Can anyone confirm if this is really the local price right now? is the online apple store, really cheaper right now?

15. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

That sounds just about right; some—if not all—Apple Authorised Resellers have increased their prices due to high exchange rate and small margins.

For the moment it's still lighter on the wallet if you order via the Apple Store app, but in exchange you'll need to wait ~2 weeks for your purchase to arrive at your doorstep.

As an aside... and bordering on derailment...

I remember making a custom order for a 2017 MBP and the total charge came out as ~₱127K (exactly the same total online), but when the machine arrived 40 days later the price tag attached to it said ~₱141K. I simply ignored it at first and only later considered that they may have actually adjusted costs. Thankfully, I placed my order just before they made any changes to the local prices, so the initial price that we had agreed upon was honoured. No one at the store even mentioned it, shortly after getting back home it just amused me seeing how much it supposedly cost.

It's frightening to think that the iMac Pro arriving next month in the U.S. might cost us ~₱323K locally just for the base model. I might actually just order online and bear the waiting period should the difference in cost prove to be night and day.

#2855 Edelheid, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    ygee likes this.
  16. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

Managed to get Spider Man: Home Coming for 12.99 USD in the US iTunes store. :)
    DC Justice League related movies are discounted right now.

17. jaferrolino

jaferrolino New Member

What's the recommended bandwidth to be able to stream UHD with HDR with the Apple TV? I hope someone can post about their experience with streaming, coz I don't think our apple servers will be able to deliver their services on this level.