The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

The apps makes the 4th gen in a different league amongst Apple TV revisions.

2. ralmon

ralmon Member

Hi. I am currently using an MXQ android box however much to my dismay, video streaming apps like Netflix, iWantv and Hooq are not compatible with the device when they are the mere purpose why I purchased the product.

I bought the device at Lazada hence no testing took place, hence charge to experience.

With this, I am planning to get an Apple TV instead after the disappointing experience with my Android box.

I wish to know if streaming apps like Netflix, iWant TV and Hooq are compatible and run in Apple TV?

As I am planning to get one next month. Your inputs are greatly appreciated!

#2762 ralmon, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. Simbadda

Simbadda Active Member

If you get the 3rd gen, you will get netflix as a channel.

If you get the 4th gen, you can install streaming apps.

4. ralmon

ralmon Member

T
    Thanks for the response.
    I was scouting on diff Authorized resellers to compatible apps in Apple TV app store PH however none of them can answer my inquiry :(

To Apple TV 4th Gen owners, may I ask if iwanTV, HOOQ and iFlix are available in the Apple TV App Store PH, and compatible to Apple TV 4th gen?

thanks a lot!

5. p.pipster

p.pipster Active Member

With your list, only Netflx applies.

But you can easily airplay whatever you are watching on HOOQ, iFlix and probably iWanTV from your iPhone onto the Apple TV.

6. ignite

ignite Member

Anybody experiencing Netflix app shutdowns? When I first got the unit, I registered for the free 1month trial. I did not renew when it expired. After a couple of months, my sister subscribed to a 3 screen plan. I entered her details to my Apple TV but the app wont seem to let me watch in peace. It would usually shutdown after 10-15mins. I tried to delete/reinstall the app for nothing seems to work. I'm doing the long cut where I mirror by iPhone/iPad to be able to watch in the big screen.

7. p.pipster

p.pipster Active Member

If it works fine on your phone, then it must be your Apple TV. Try updating your unit's tvOS.

8. speeds

speeds Member

9. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

tvOS 10.2 Release Notes

This update includes general performance and stability improvements and these features:
    • Fast scroll: To rapidly scroll through lists, swipe on the right edge on your remote’s Touch surface. If a list has an index—like your song collection in the Music app—you can quickly jump forward or backward.
    • iTunes Movies: Enjoy your iTunes movie rentals across your devices when you sign in with the same Apple ID on every device. For example, rent a movie on your iPhone, then watch it on your Apple TV.
    • Apple TV Remote app for iOS: Now with full support for iPad, the Apple TV Remote app lets you select movie chapters, audio tracks, and closed captions. You can also see music lyrics and playlists in the app.
    Security Notes
    Available at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207601

10. speeds

speeds Member

How to you use Netflix Philippines on Apple TV 4? My login details wont work on the stock Netflix App. I hate it when I airplay Netflix from my iPhone then someone calls.

#2770 speeds, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  11. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Still no support for Ultra HD streaming. :(

12. roland28

roland28 Member

hi, does this mean even if my netflix account has Ultra HD streaming i will not be able to get the same video quality with apple tv gen 4?

13. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

yup. at best you'll only get regular HD. You're better off with the Netflix app that came with your Smart TV. Also there's no Amazon Prime App.

14. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I still consider the Apple TV Gen 3 to have the best benefit-to-cost ratio of any Apple device, especially at the price offered at the BTB sale. Thank you BTB!

15. rabby

rabby Active Member

Will it work? as far as I know it only outputs 1080p? not sure though I don't have the latest box :)

16. ratburn

ratburn Member

Any nice apps you guys can recommend? I only have Netflix, YouTube installed

17. christopher

christopher Member

hey guys! do you have any recommendations for vpn/dns solution that works with on US Netflix?

18. ralmon

ralmon Member

I was able to test an Apple TV at the PMC Megamall, luckily with internet connection this time. Checked the App Store immediately to find the apps i need, unfortunately, none from the apps I've listed above are available :(

I think I'll pass on this one. Sayang.

19. sibilly

sibilly Active Member

you might want to check out the google chromecast, its compatible with youtube, netflix, iflix and hooq....only difference is you need to launch the app through your android or ios device.

20. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member