The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

thanks for providing an alternative @loudsound .
    i did read some reviews about Apple's Lightning Digital AV Adapter and it seems to have gotten such a bad rap due to heating issues, busting up after just a few months of use, etc. that it seems like a wiser choice for me to instead just add the adapter's P2490 sticker price onto my 4th gen Apple TV fund.

given that the only thing i'll be doing with it is to Air Play movies off of my Infuse Pro empowered iPad Mini 2 / iPhone 5S, should i still get the 64gb model or will the 32gb unit suffice?

lastly, adding 2k extends Apple Care by an additional year. is it worth it? or is the Apple TV by your experiences sturdy enough to survive 2 years of constant use?

2. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

I've downloaded a ton of apps/games and I am nowhere near filling up my 32GB Apple TV. Unless Apple one day allows the on-board storage to be used for keeping media, you more than likely won't face any problems concerning storage space. If the cardinal plan is to play movies with the aid of your portables, then it sounds like you've reached a decision. :)

Honestly... I'm not even sure why they are offering the 64GB variant unless they sincerely think there's a market for people looking to download the entire App Store.

#2742 Edelheid, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Anmi likes this.
  3. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

For those in the US or anybody who are interested in getting an Apple TV 32gb with a huge discount, you might want to subscribe to the Direct TV Now streaming service. A three months subscription of Direct TV Now ($35/month or $105 in total) comes with a FREE Apple TV 32gb :) In essence, you're only paying $105 for the 32gb Apple TV, tax included!

My mother-in-law gave me an Apple TV 32gb as a Christmas gift, so my free Apple TV from my Direct TV Now subscription will be my 2nd one in a span of a week..lol We have now 4 Apple TVs at home, including the 3rd gen ones.

#2743 pels_17, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    ronjet likes this.
  4. pels_17

I don't think you need Apple Care for the ATVs; i have two 3rd gen ATVs that are still working without any issues, i've had them since 2012.

5. pochiman

thanks for your input amigo. i just realized that since i have a tendency to travel in between houses and envision connecting said Apple TV to whichever HDTV i'm currently located at (several tvs at my current home), i'll probably need AppleCare for the possible wear and tear and constant moving around (minus dropping the said unit of course) i'll be subjecting the Apple TV to.

pels_17 likes this.
  6. pochiman

hi Apple TV fans! hehehe! i had a blast setting this one up just now in the dead of night. i so love the AirPlay feature, using my trusty 5S to stream movies by way of Infuse Pro into my oldies but goodies LG HDTV. goodbye usb flash drives!

as my use case will be limited to just doing AirPlay for the forseeable future (very much content with this feature alone), i kinda feel like the 4th gen Apple TV is an overkill for my needs, lest i eventually learn (i hope!) to maximize its features by subscribing to Netflix, iFlix, GetFlix, Hulu and all of them other *flixes out there.

given this, can an amigo please point me as to where i can still get a trusty 3rd gen Apple TV? hopefully one that's brand new for warranty purposes as i'll be connecting this second unit to a spare TV in the house.

muchas gracias and feliz año nuevo!

loudsound, ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

@pochiman will be happy to help you if you need to, eherm, sell that 4G ATV someday...:D

pochiman likes this.
  8. wattleferdz

wattleferdz Active Member

My 4th Gen ATV also lost its purpose when I bought a smart TV last month. Now it's reduced to a mere design behind my tv as I do much of the surfing, streaming and other activities through android tv installed on my tv. Hopefully, apple would think of new ways to again excite us into our apple tv.

9. pochiman

hello again Apple TV fans! i seem to have found a store which still carries 3rd gen units in bunches! hehe!

i chanced upon Switch last week when i came across this one trip around the Solenad Mall in Nuvali. lo and behold, they had the 3rd gen on display, working a TV unit and being sold for P3790. the only catch is, they just sold out 3 units which came to them a few days prior.

they were kind enough to save my number and will reach out as soon as they get new stocks, hopefully within the next week or so. (haven't i heard of the same -- through Globe though, haha!)

with that being said, i'll try calling Switch outlets within the metro to check as well. if i'm not mistaken, this P3790 for a 3rd gen has already been lowered, the original price of which i know not of. either way, it's a steal, given it'll still have that 1 year warranty once i get my grubby hands on one. to think i almost sourced one via eBay straight from the US mainland. hehehe!

10. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

What's the main advantage of getting the ATV3 over the ATV4? Forgive me for not backreading... but it's a lot of pages! :D

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

For hi-fi folks, the TV3 has an optical audio port. No serious hi-fi DACs have HDMI ports. Yet.

But for many, it's the cheapest AirPlay-capable TV.

Ejaxene likes this.
  12. leninmac

leninmac Well-Known Member

Nothing much. It's a minor upgrade at best. Apart from having it's own App Store, it's the same as the previous. It's been more than a year since it was launched and there's still no local support for Siri. No support for Ultra HD streaming either.

13. p.pipster

p.pipster Active Member

Last October, our toddler broke our TV screen and, interestingly, we have not missed not having a TV in the house. Except for me... only because the Apple TV is now useless. Since we didn't have cable and only relied on Netlfix, HBO Now, iFlix, YouTube and the wider internet, using our iPhones and iPads somehow is just enough for us. The only thing that we can't do now is watch a movie together (we're a family of 5)... but it's not like we do that all the time anyway (if you have kids with short attention spans, you'll understand).

14. pochiman

... The Simpsons!!! hehehe!

anyhow, to answer the previous mugger, i believe a few glaring differences between the 3 and the 4 would be the increased storage, with the 4 now coming in either 32 or 64gb variants -- mainly for apps since it now has its own tvOS albeit still in its infancy.

the 4th's controller on the other hand is now bluetooth enabled as opposed to the previous one's being infrared, thereby being line of sight dependent. if only developers were to jump in producing motion sensor type of games in bunches, you're looking at the 4, with the use of its controller as being a poor man's nintendo wii in the near future, which would still be a bonus!

just to add, the 4's controller is priced at P3990 when i saw one being sold individually; prolly for folks who need an extra controller, for whatever reason other than breaking the original one, i wouldn't really be sure why they'd need another one for. funny, the 4's controller is more expensive by P200 compared to the 3's complete package pegged at P3790. ... that must be a really powerful controller, although i usually just keep mine in the box since once done with the initial setup, i'm good with just using the Apple TV controller ios app.

if i didn't have trigger happy fingers, i'd have held up for 2x 3rd gen Apple TVs since that'll only come up to P7580 versus P8790 for 1x 4th gen Apple TV as i only use it for AirPlay; streaming movies from my trusty 5S and nothing else. lastly, the 3rd gen also supports 1080p streaming either via AirPlay or through a Netflix subscription, so really, if you're still in the fence, i'd suggest to go grab a 3 while supplies last, and mind you, they are dwindling fast.

#2754 pochiman, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Ejaxene and kyubi like this.
  15. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

@pochiman still seeing lots of stocks here in NZ... They like Chromecast more here =)

16. pochiman

really? kaasar! hahaha! oh well, the chase is part of the fun! hehehe! good for you amigo!

17. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

There's now reason to get Apple TV in 64 GB. (Or well, when apps that can justify taking up this much space begin to surface.)

apple-tv.jpg

I also wonder if this means 4K Apple TV is coming. They could very well take advantage of this.

#2757 Edelheid, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  18. leninmac

leninmac Well-Known Member

Any 3rd Gen Apple TV users here? Does it support the Netflix and Amazon Prime App in New Zealand and the Philippines? TIA

19. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

This article sums it all up but for quick ones:

• Siri (depends where you are)
    • Bluetooth remote with touch pad, motion sensor, dual mics
    • Storage that's in-built
    • Games (might need a dedicated Bluetooth Gaming controller)
    • A8 64-bit SOC
    • 802.11ac WiFi with MIMO
    • Supports 60fps at 1080p for h.264
    • USB-C
    • Rechargeable battery via Lightning port
    • tvOS
    Yeah, not much :D

20. pels_17

You forgot about the apps. Some apps are not available in the 3rd gens, i.e, sling tv, direct tv now, cable channel apps

sandybridge_guy likes this.