The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Just bought Apple TV just recently. Been tooling around....more like stumbling around to get the hang of it. So far, no problems. Anyone here want to share their experience, likes or dislikes etc. re: ATV.......

2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Re: Apple TV: any fans here?

had mine since feb. i wouldn't consider myself a fan, but i really like it. no regrets, whatsoever.

my most common uses are:
    1) renting high def movies on itunes; 5.1 rules! (my most recent hd rental: batman begins)
    2) syncing most of my itunes music library; i have tested dts on apple tv, which is sweet!
    3) storing videos that i want to have ready for on-demand viewing; in my case, videos of my son, instructional videos, and a few classics;
    4) photo slideshows from iphoto, .mac and flickr
    5) high def video podcasts;
    6) occasional big screen viewing of youtube

come to think of it now, i haven't used my dvd player since i bought my apple tv!

the only downside to apple tv is that philmug search rejects "apple" for being generic, and "tv" for being too short and generic. so searching for "apple tv" here, may not yield much, if any.

enjoy yours!

3. raypin

ya.....agree with that. Just to add.....the synching from computer downloaded itunes movies to ATV is a bit complicated and a pain. I had difficulty setting up the software side. The technical writing of the manual is on the poor side and it could use a lot of improvement. To tell you the truth, it took me 3 hours of researching and lots of button pushing on the remote before I could access my itunes U.S. account directly from ATV. The manual DID NOT specify that the firmware/software must be updated first. Trial by error may not be the most efficient method of learning but it still works.

On the hardware side, the remote could use some upgrade. Its soooooo tiny and inefficient specially when using youtube. I don't like game consoles and I hate game console typing even more. For ATV version 2.0, I'd really like a bigger remote with a mini keyboard. Once I got past it, youtube just become much more enjoyable to watch. Been accessing "Mac vs. PC" youtubes and having fun at it. Setting up the cables was a breeze (hdmi and toslink).

As for music, ATV, digital receiver and LCD TV are a match made in tech heaven. Its excellent.

I'm downloading HD version of The Spiderwick Chronicles for my niece and nephew. Have to do something about upgrading my dsl connection. Smartbro is just way too slow in my area.

I have a question: does your ATV heat up on the high side? Been checking my 3 day old unit and it seems a bit hot.

Oh yeah, I did check the forums first if a thread devoted to ATV had been started. None that I could locate. Nearest match is Apple TV alternative: Popcorn.

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Yes, ATV gets a bit hot. But mine has never shut down from overheating. Unless you unplug it, ATV is never really off. Energy consumption is presumably lower because no signal is being fed to the A/V lines, but you can still download or sync when ATV is "off". I just don't stack anything on top of it to let the heat dissipate.

I'm fine with the remote. Its limitations only becomes evident during wordy searches, which I only use occasionally. Besides, Apple already has a media center with a full-sized keyboard: the Mac Mini. ;)

5. raypin

YA. I'll turn it off just in case. Thanks for the tip.

I've just transferred "No country for old men" from my computer to ATV. No problem except it does take time to accomplish the task. In addition to better dsl, I need N router to make the wireless experience even more seamless. I did notice that the quality of the video and audio output is even better even for standard def itunes movie. It is just a shy away from true dvd quality and that is no mean feat considering that a standard def itune movie is only 1 to 1.5 gb in size! In this respect, Apple did a fine job in balancing the need to stream content at a reasonable speed without sacrificing much in terms of quality. Can't wait to watch my first high def itunes movie!

I wouldn't dare STACK anything on top of my newest baby.....he he....its a beauty to watch. Well, except perhaps a passive cooling device.....have to find something to redirect the heat.

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

yup. i configured my n-router (TC) for 5ghz wide band, which streams at 150-250mbps. it isn't faster than gigabit ethernet, of course, but my syncs are now noticably faster than when i had an 802.11b/g router (linksys wrt54g).

yup, on demand hd content is my primary reason for getting the apple tv. there are cheaper alternatives, for sure, but i don't mind paying the premium for the convenience.

for your reference, it takes me about 8 hours to download a 2-hour high-def movie on my pldt dsl line, which speedtests at about 1600+kbps during the wee hours of the morning.

and for similar threads, try searching this forum with "HD ATV"; it'll yield pretty much the half dozen apple tv threads on this forum. enjoy!

7. raypin

mine says 17 hours but it is worth the wait. Like you said in a previous thread, its better than dealing with the hassle of going out.

am luvin' it.

8. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

whoa! I also want an Apple TV, it's just so convenient! I really want it! It's just in time because we bought a high def television a week ago! Definitely on top of my list!

9. aldwin

aldwin Member

I also have an apple tv, and i'm liking it so far.

I have been using it to watch hd trailers for hours.

I only wish they change the way you navigate your own movies, the list gets pretty slow and hard to browse when you have around 200+ movies. :( A wall of posters would be nice (just like the new trailers view).

And about the heat, from what i've read, the top part is the heatsink, so it is really supposed to heat up like that, that is what they compromised to get the small sleek look for the apple tv.

The new iphone 2.0 software plus apple tv combination is awesome!!! I was planning to get a music streamer (squeezebox, soundbridge, etc.) but appletv+iphone is so much better.

#9 aldwin, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  10. raypin

@rbenson.....just curious if prices have really come down. How much did your atv cost last Feb? mine is 12k for the 160 model. I've been scanning ebay and the 250 model is now out.

@rdy0329......join the club!

Although most major Hollywood studios have signed up with ATV, the collection is still not in the level of netflicks. Hope Apple continues to improve content so we can enjoy ATV for years to come.

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i bought mine in new york. 160gb atv @$329+tax.

yeah, itunes has quite some ways to go to build their hd catalog--which is fine by me. i only have time for about two hd movies a month, anyway. but i can see why videophiles would clamor for more.

it was only a matter of time till atv storage increased. but even if could fill it up, i won't be able to find the time to consume even a quarter of it. now, if they can make that storage bidirectionally accessible/syncable, then all that storage could be useful as media backup! it'll probably only be a matter of time till someone develops such a utility app, kinda like tuneranger or anapod between ipods and desktops.

12. kiyobi

kiyobi Member

question to atv owners--when downloading content, does it slow down your dsl connection the way downloading torrents does?

13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

@kiyobi: i have no empirical data to show you. of course, atv consumes bandwidth, so it'll affect other network-consuming processes. but my guess is that atv is faster and consumes less than torrent, well, because atv does not seed, which typically competes for resources--computing, memory, bandwidth, etc.

14. raypin

have to agree with rbenzon. No significant penalties in terms of bandwidth resources although it pays if you have really fast dsl connection.

15. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i already answered your question in an earlier post, but to add to it: how long will it take to download HD content off torrent given the average pinoy internet connection, two weeks? i'd rather pay itunes $4.99 any time, any day. as penmanila pointed out: time is money; pay the money to save time. besides, with gas prices these days, it costs more to go a video store than to rent a movie from itunes! ;)

16. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

@raypin, where did you get yours?

17. antz

antz Active Member

I have been wanting to upgrade to 160GB but content myself with my almost 1 year 40GB. I would rather rent nowadays and only purchase good movies.

Perfect companion for my Apple Tv is my Elgato Turbo.264

18. kiyobi

kiyobi Member

thanks for the info. i'm seriously considering getting one as well and maximize my 1mb dsl subscription.

19. noweev

noweev Member

It does get really really hot.

20. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Thanks for that tip, antz88c. Even if I may not need it because I have several Macs for load balancing, I learned something new today, a refreshing reprieve from all the rants flailing around. ;)