Super Mario Run

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by Edelheid, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

It's going to be a free app initially—essentially serving as demo—giving you an option to unlock the rest of the available content using in-app purchases at an undisclosed amount. It's more or less to be considered a premium runner without any ephemeral consumables so that's good news. I'm happy to buy the game if only to support this favourable direction they're taking.

In other news, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem will be delayed until early 2017 to focus most of their efforts on Super Mario Run.

Nintendo's actual response regarding the pricing:

"iOS users will be able to download and enjoy a portion of Super Mario Runfor free and will be able to enjoy all of the game content available in this release after paying a set purchase price. More details will be disclosed at a later date. The game has been developed with Mr. Miyamoto as lead creator for Nintendo. Nintendo is also continuing its partnership with DeNA for the launch of Super Mario Run. It will be offered on the App Store this December in more than 100 different countries, and nine different languages."

If you're using a U.S. iTunes account, you can opt to get notified when the game gets released by going here. It also works for other countries like Japan, Switzerland, and the UK, but I personally haven't tried anything else outside those four. Most importantly, hopefully we're included among those 100 different countries.

#1 Edelheid, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    bhoyetjumpay likes this.
  2. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

Strange... Engadget's article says that there will be no in-app purchases. Anyways... still getting this either way. And whether or not Nintendo dropped the ball on originality (with so many running games out there already like Temple Run and Cannabalt), Mario is Mario. So I'm soooooo game with this (y)

3. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Fascinating TIME interview with Shigeru Miyamoto (Mario, Donkey Kong, Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, Super Mario Bros.)

Miyamoto: So the basic premise this time was, we started by wanting to make a Mario game that you play one-handed. And if you think about Mario games up until now, generally Mario games are very simple and anyone can play them. But as you get deeper into the mechanics it gets more challenging. For some people, they have a hard time running, using the ‘B’ button to dash, or jumping while trying to run and dash at the same time. So the approach we took was, “How can we take that essence of the simplicity of Mario and bring it to mobile devices?” And that meant thinking about a game that would run automatically, on its own, but where there’s still the challenge of jumping and things like that, that are uniquely Mario.

Read the full interview here: http://time.com/4482878/super-mario-run-apple-iphone-shigeru-miytamoto/

Possibly an article made almost immediately after the announcement. It wasn't very clear as Mr. Miyamoto mentioned during his talk about deciding on a set price for the game. I also thought at first that the game will need to be purchased with no microtransactions involved, but this started making the rounds on my timeline:

mario.jpg

And then Nintendo gave a response saying it'll be free with IAP to unlock the rest of the game.
    You nailed it! Mario is Mario for goodness' sake! :D

Hopefully sales will justify getting Zelda out next.

#3 Edelheid, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  4. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Nintendo announced in a press release issued this morning that Super Mario Run will be released in 151 countries and regions next month. It'll initially be a free download with a one-time payment of $9.99 IAP to unlock everything.

Nintendo Press Release:
    $9.99 single purchase sounds fair to me! I think high-quality premium games are worth paying for. :D

#4 Edelheid, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  5. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

super mario run lands 15 Dec. :)

6. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Can't wait!

For sure this will be $10.99 CAD.

7. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

magnus likes this.
  8. mongkee

Got an email from Nintendo as well. Notification alert done! (y)

9. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

Got also. Super excited. :p

10. Xotigu

Xotigu Active Member

lots of game titles lined up for me on PS4 and this T_T

11. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Pokemon "Remastered" next please. :)

12. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Shigeru Miyamoto will talk 'Super Mario Run' in New York on Thursday, just a week from release.
    The event is already full, but in case anyone's hyped for the game it may be worth tuning in. Hopefully he tackles the thinking process that inspired the game's mechanics.

13. denpacs

denpacs Active Member

14. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Yeah, that kind of blows... I can't even afford to have proper signal inside my home. Or well, it is still capable of portraying a full bar which to me is like the biggest crock of $#!* because the connection speed will always be equivalent to 56 Kbps. I had high hopes of being able to play the game offline as many areas I frequent to have proven to abhor even the idea of establishing any sort of handshakes with network towers, or the lack thereof.

It's a real shame.

#14 Edelheid, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Sunil_K likes this.
  15. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

Sunil_K likes this.
  16. mongkee

Well, not much of an issue for me since almost all the games i play require a constant internet connection (Galaxy of Heroes, MKX Mobile, etc.). But this is indeed a biggie for those who can't get a decent connection most of the time.

Come to think of it, this is kinda a hassle for me too... was hoping to play this while on the loo at the office but I don't have a signal inside the cubicle :D

Sunil_K likes this.
  17. Sir iAco

Sir iAco Well-Known Member

Jimmy Fallon Debuts the Nintendo Switch on the Tonight Show.

Published on Dec 7, 2016
    President of Nintendo of America Reggie Fils-Aimé guides Jimmy through Super Mario Run before debuting the Nintendo Switch game system by playing The Legend of Zelda in front of creator Shigeru Miyamoto.

You're never too old to play. (y)

raze19, iDarwin and jesusluison like this.
  18. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

The wait is over! Super Mario Run is now available! :giggle:

As many of you may already know, the initial free download comes with limited content—three stages to be exact—and if you want to explore the rest of the worlds you will first need to shell out a one-off fee of $9.99 or ₱499 (IAP) for them to get unlocked.

Attached Files:

#18 Edelheid, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  19. speeds

speeds Member

Downloading now.

20. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

In case anyone need friends for the missions or just for the sake of friendly competition, feel free to add me at anytime. Kindly share your player name as well.

Player ID: 4490-8494-0135 (Edelheid)

I'm not proud of my first shot at this. :ROFLMAO:

Attached Files:

#20 Edelheid, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016