Suggestions for a good Photo Manager Software?

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by rabby, Mar 4, 2018.

1. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

Hello,

Short background, I backed up all the pics and videos on my iPad, from my last trip, and it consumes about 153GB of space (including the normal pics after the trip). I tried the Photos App but all it can do as far as I know is import it on my local Mac HDD but it is not an option since I only have a small HDD space.

Is there an app that you can suggest that can group photos by location, or date (month) so I can import the pics without combing through my Device in the Photos app? What do you normally use to import your photos from your iDevice. Free is preferred but I can consider paying for an app if it is very convenient

2. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

Get a big external drive and connect to your mac. Hold down the alt (options) key when launching the Photos app. It will prompt you to point to a different photos library or create a new one. Create a new library in the external drive. Import your photos to the external library.

rabby and Qin Zhi like this.
  3. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

How about Flickr's free 1TB of space?

4. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

In my case...

Apple Photos + Google Photos

Mac + External hard drive - I have a dedicated hard drive which only contains my Photos and iMovie library.

Apple Photos for all my photos and videos in full res.
    Google Photos - free account (unlimited) as a back up (and easy access of the entire library)

Both will have the same library... Except for 360 photos (G Photos only since A Photos will just make them a big Panorama) and those photos that G Photos edit/enhance through Assistant.

rabby likes this.
  5. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

Local storage is best. Pay once for the hard drive and you're good.

Photos (Mac) fits for most use-cases of everyday people to manage your photos. Sign up to addt'l iCloud storage for backup.

There are also other cloud backup solutions but may bite you in the end. Flickr for example, while free and spacious, doesn't easily allow you to download your photos in raw (with all the metadata) should you wish to move it elsewhere.

So, in essence:

Local big storage + Photos + iCloud

...would be my recommendation.

rabby likes this.
  6. ice

I disagree, cloud is way better.

With local storage, there's always a chance of damage, theft and hardware failure.

Plus the fact that you cannot carry it everywhere.

I once met a guy who saved his Photos Library in Dropbox, his reason is he wants to sync his library between his iMac and Macbook all the time.

7. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

Adobe LR for Photo Management / Catalog... for Storage External HDD for me.. have been archiving digital photos (camera > laptop > ExtHD ) since 2002 on a standalone HDD.. I just save up and upgrade every year to a new/ larger capacity for peace of mind...

Google Photos / Flickr are good free options you can SYNC every gadgets as u please.. whenever wherever internet available..

8. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

Read the rest of my post.

9. ice

^yes, I've read your post... :)

I was just stating the fact that using a big hard disk is risky...

I didn't quote the entire post as this is an Apple forum and majority of the users will have iCloud Photos back-up on.

10. GelOBrrz

GelOBrrz Member

Cloud (Google Photos) + Local Storage*

*selected memories

11. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Always best to have as many backups as possible - local and cloud. I prefer using Flickr, iCloud Photos, Resilio Sync (for local sync on my local server and storage at a remote location). Google Photos is tempting, but there are limitations, and not to forget that they use it to train their AI.

12. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

+1 on Google Photos. iCloud is a bit expensive, but I did subscribe with the 50GB option for iCloud Drive. Don't have to think of uploading anything anymore.

with managing photos pretty much the Online Interface for Google Photos is enough. for local editing, photoshop and the photos app.

I find it really perplexing that the Apple Photos app take up too much storage space on my macbook pro. so I transitioned everything to the cloud!

13. kenobiz

kenobiz Active Member

Local storage + google photos

14. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

thanks guys! I've been back reading and considering the options :) sorry for not responding since I am the TS... just an update, the iTunes method of pointing the backups to HDD did not work for me... After reconnecting the HDD or firing up iTunes without the HDD mounted, it reverts back to default based on my observation...

jayparalejas likes this.
  15. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

Of course it will - why would you open iTunes without your external HDD? Reconnect your HDD and it will point back to it.