Suggest an Uninterrupted Power Supply for an iMac 5k

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hero33, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

Suggest brands of UPS and the Va needed for my 5k iMac please :D

Shout out to Danna and Charlie for the iMac and Macbook Pro I just got, Thanks!

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

nothing beats APC...

3. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

is there a particular model of APC available locally?

4. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

Check with APC for compatibility first. I use a Mac Mini on an APC and it doesn't recognise it. It works but doesn't have auto shut down sequence function.

5. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

thanks!!!! didnt think there would be issues like this.

6. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

Also looking for UPS than can do a safe shutdown of my Synology NAS without intervention. APC ES 500 supposedly has this but the PH version does not have a USB port

7. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always thought Apple would automatically support APC, just like any other peripherals ala plug n play. I also checked the support community, but others are also looking for answers.

8. pscolboy

pscolboy Member

Ive tried the APC entry models like ES-500 and Im not quite satisfied with the results. It usually lasts over a year for me. While it does offer battery replacement, their service centre's schedule is only for weekdays from 8-5pm. For a salaryman like me, that is a problem. I work during those hours

9. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

can someone tell me if the ES500 has sufficient power to power my 27" iMac for enough time to shut off? ten-twenty minutes?

10. pscolboy

pscolboy Member

You're lucky if it reaches 10mins even if there are no other appliance connected to the UPS. It will just give you enough time for a graceful shutdown instead of an abrupt one. Too bad that theres no USB port on it to detect compatible equipments for automatic safe shutdown.

11. oj88

oj88 Well-Known Member

Take a look at CyberPower. It's getting great reviews abroad and I'd probably get one to replace any of my APC units in the future. There are several models to choose from but the lowest model that has both USB and Serial connectivity is their SOHO series below. These units supports PCs, Macs, and Linux systems. For Macs in particular, it includes a shutdown interface software called PowerPanel. It's also used to monitor the status of the UPS (Battery charge, Runtime remaining, load Wattage, etc.)

http://www.cyberpower.com.ph/products/ups_systems/value_soho/value600ei.htm

Just call up their office to find a retail store or you can probably find one for sale on TPC.

12. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

Ended up indenting a bx1100 ci with 1200va about 600watts.

Read my monitor and system uses at least 325watts so I'm guessing that it should be enough to power the iMac and a Drobo. Bahala na about the auto power off stuff.

13. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

To give some closure or guidance for others with the same situation, I ended up buying an APC BX1100CI with 1200va or 600 watts from Villman for 9388 pesos.

I use it on my 27" iMac 5k Retina with an iCore 7 4 gig, vid, hard drive specs maxed out and my Drobo with 4 bays. The UPS has a USB out slot that connects to my iMac and my iMac recognizes the UPS.

When I unplugged the UPS to test it, the iMac was able to automatically read the APC UPS and tell me I had about 50 minutes with the Drobo also connected to the battery.

Hope all the new iMac users can gain from this.

14. Koto

Koto New Member

Hi! I recently ordered almost the same configuration as hero33's imac5k and i am expecting the shipment 10-15 days from now. I've been a macbookpro user and never had any desktop pc before. Never thought about the back up power system of a desktop computer until i read this post. I thought the last thing that i need to consider spending was the ram upgrade for my imac.

Yesterday, I chatted with apple guy or genius at the apple store online and asked him if i really need to have the UPS or i can just simply and safely plug my imac5k in a normal power outlet. He told me that having UPS is handy but i can surely plug the imac directly in the power outlet. Been reading post from macrumors and watching youtube vids about this and now im am very confuse haha!. I am obviously trying to limit my expenses since my imac5k plus the ram upgrade already cost me around Php165k so anything that can cut down my expenses will be very helpful on my savings :D

So the question again is do i really need to have the UPS? Can i use the lowest watts UPS ? I don't really much care if i only have a few minutes power back up cos osx has auto-save feature (please correct me if i'm wrong).

15. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.....UPS is just insurance against power outages. If you do a lot of work-related stuff on your desktop machine, a UPS is mandatory. I'd stick with well-known brands with local dealer support (for repairs). Use an on-line UPS power requirement calculator to match your needs.