SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mig, Nov 23, 2016.

1. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

cant remember the brand anymore. more than 2 years already. you can check out his posts in tipidpc. search louie.
    contact number is 09178098784

https://tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=louie_081475

2. warmgreentea

warmgreentea Well-Known Member

I recently got my HD upgraded to a 500GB SSD driver just recently via Ynzal/Normer (Service costs php2,500 as iMac adhesive prices went up). It really makes me think, why haven't I done this before. Everything just boots up within a blink of an eye. :)

Qin Zhi likes this.
  3. jays0n

jays0n New Member

How many days before you got it back? Or they did it while you wait?

Thanks

4. warmgreentea

Around 4 days. Give it around 5 business days at most. :)

5. jays0n

jays0n New Member

Okay. Thanks.

6. vrl29

vrl29 Member

i agree that the SSD upgrade from an HDD is one of the best possible upgrades you can do to your workstation (Desktop/Laptop). the speed difference will be very noticeable, even with entry model SSDs like Kingston.

It would be preferable if you can buy bigger SSD sizes, but the price per GB of an SSD is still expensive compared to HDDs. If somewhat in a budget, a smaller sized SSD would suffice (as long as it's for the OS only; user files like pictures & videos could be placed in an HDD).

We did the SSD upgrade to our cousin's Macbook 2012 Pro model (non-Retina); the Optical Drive was swapped out in favor of an HDD caddy and the old HDD (500GB) was placed in the caddy. The SSD was placed in the old location of the HDD. One of the best bang for the buck upgrades you can do.

7. warmgreentea

^ Ang pag palit ba sa SSD nakatulong sa iyong pag paslang kina Taguro at Sensui? :p

250GB SSD is the safest bet these days, and it seems that the 40-80gig ones had become extinct nowdays. Wait for black friday deals; 1TB SSDs for 9-11k pesos. :)

So far so good with my SSD. Still blazing fast despite eating up more gigs these days.

8. jays0n

jays0n New Member

I am currently using an external SSD as my startup disk.

Will there be a difference (in terms of speed) if I the SSD is installed as the main drive and replace the old HDD instead?

Thanks

9. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

night and day sir :) very big difference!

boot time is now as fast as the retinas :)

10. jays0n

jays0n New Member

Alright! Thanks sir.