SSD for MacPro2011

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VicB, May 30, 2015.

1. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

I'm considering upgrading the stock HDD (500GB) that came with my old, trusty MacPro to an SSD. Any recommendations of a brand/type & any things to consider when installing / starting up with it? Minimum capacity of the SSD should be 250GB & preferred is 500GB. TIA!

2. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member
    Supporter

The Samsung 840 Pro or EVO is usually the most popular brand and there is already the Samsung 850 Pro. You can also look into other brands like SanDisk SSD. For Samsung SSD you can check at TipidPC, Ynzal MKT or at Villman Computers. You can install the SSD at your Mac Pro's drive bays using an adapter. SSDs will make your classic Mac Pro like "Brand New" at they bring faster boot ups and snappy opening of apps.

[​IMG]

Newertech YNZAL | We fuel creativity. - NewerTech AdaptaDrive 2.5 to 3.5 Drive Bay adapter solution [NWTADPTADRV] for sale in Manila, Philippines
    YNZAL | We fuel creativity. - Sonnet Transposer 2.5 SSD to 3.5 Adapter [TP-25ST35TA] for sale in Manila, Philippines

If installed at the drive bay you'll get SATA 2 speeds, roughly around 250mbps. If you want SATA 3 speeds of around 450 to 500mbps, you can install it via your Mac Pro's PCIe slot using a adapter of either the Sonnet Tempo or the Apricorn Duo X2. For the Sonnet Tempo, you can inquire at Ynzal Mkt as they are the local distributor here. They had a sale last Christmas on the Sonnet Tempo and got sold out quickly.

Sonnet - Tempo SSD PCIe Card Adapter
    http://www.apricorn.com/vel-solox2.html

[​IMG]

Just a side note, you may need to install "Trim Enabler". It's an open source app created by a software developer, Cindori. This Trim app is to prolong the life of any SSD and avoid degration. They say, as you read and write thru your SSD for long periods of time, it's life shortens. I know SSDs have no moving parts so they are expected to last longer compared to mechanical HDs.

https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/

Another option is using SSD PCIe blades similar to what is being used at Macbook Airs, MBPros or the new black Mac Pro. I am currently using a Samsung XP941 SSD blade at my Mac Pro. It's bootable and quite fast. You will need a Lyncom adapter. From a cold boot up, starting from the chime sound up to reaching the desktop, I get around 19 seconds.

[​IMG]

Speed Test on the Samsung XP941 on a Classic Mac Pro

[​IMG]

Lab test on SSD blades on the classic Mac Pro
    Samsung XP941 M.2 (NGFF) PCIe SSD in a Mac Pro tower

Just a side note, with SSD blades, if it should expire ( knock on wood ) all files are not possible for recovery. I got this info from a Mac Technician guy. My friend's MacBook Pro's SSD expired and all his files were lost. Best to have a backup of your SSD.

#2 MacSonic 779, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    VicB likes this.