Sony A6000 worth it?

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by markandapps, Jan 1, 2017.

1. markandapps

markandapps Active Member

This month (by God's grace) I will be buying Sony A6000 after months of research and soul searching. I am noob with cameras. My first and last dedicated camera device was Canon powershot 10MP digicam way back 2011. After that, my cameras were two smartphones, the sold one is the iphone 5s which I bought a lot of camera apps to complement it like procamera 8,camera plus, nightcap pro, manual cam, filmic pro,moviepro and the one I still use is my almost 4 yrs old Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
    I'm going to use Sony A6000 mainly for doing short videos but also try to shot a ton of photos to feel out it's proclaimed ultra fast auto focus & accuracy.
    Am I going to the right direction? Do you have a better alternative? Pls not a DSLR because it will be too big for my little hands & I'm all for portability but I want a big sensor with interchangeable lens.
    Thank in advance. :)

#1 markandapps, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

I have used the NEX 7 for 3 years now and it gave me the best photos in my 10 year hobby. Sony A6000 is the model that cane after NEX 7 so you already what to expect.

And to maximize the great Sony sensors, get a 50 mm f/1.8. The A6000/50mm combo wil give the best photos for your budget :)

3. markandapps

Thank you sir. I think I will be having my hands full with 16-50 kit lens. Do you have a Flickr album showcasing the Sony A6000?
    One more question sir, I'm from Zamboanga city and I've narrowed it down on where I'll be buying the Sony A6000. First choice is of course here in Zamboanga city Sony Center/Store but it costs P36,000 (attached is a pic of it) and second choice is online at Macy's Camera shop cebu and at P32, 000. Preferably I want it to buy here in Zamboanga because just in case the camera (God forbid) will go crazy, I can bring it for repair or replacement right away and I can communicate with the seller personally. However, with Macy's Camera Store, it's P4, 000 cheaper! Granting the unit will have no problems, I save 4,000 and be in a good position to buy sooner a f/1.8 50mm or 35mm lens. What is your honest recommendation sir?

Attached Files:

4. macjobber

I'll go with the Sony Zamboanga unit because of the 3 year Sony warranty.

You can see my NEX 7/50mm photos at Instagram @i_am_jovs

5. markandapps

Wow! I wasn't informed about the 3 yr warranty. That Sony representative didn't say anything when I was inquiring about the camera. SMH!

Thanks a lot. Great photos! So excited to shoot in low light & at night.

6. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

My experience, it's usually more expensive to buy gadgets from the store named after the brand. Try to check local dealers who also carry Sony cameras and thus authorized resellers (as against those selling "gray" units that are smuggled) that have 3yr warranties. Who knows there are other camera dealers there in Zambo authorized by Sony. Sony, Canon or whatever stores, usually can't price their items lower than the authorized dealers. Or else, nobody would sell for them.

7. macjobber

With his case, it's not.

The prices at Sony, Henry's Professional and Camerahaus are all the same. They are all authorized dealers.

Only authorized sellers give Sony 3 year warranty.

8. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Active Member

Doesn't Macy's camera offer the official 3 year warranty from Sony? I believe you can get cash basis discount from Macy's? Try to ask. :) (I'm not from Macy's camera)

9. markandapps

Sir, this is from Macy's warranty Web site.
    It's one year service warranty and "If and when repair of defective item requires replacement of part/s, the costs of said needed replacement part/s SHALL BE SHOULDERED by the CLIENT."

Attached Files:

rebiscoco likes this.
  10. markandapps

Sir, it depends on the store if they're going to give the 3 year warranty. Kaya pala.
    I need to visit the store again which is 30km away and ask them. If it's the same with Macy's 1 year service warranty, maybe I'll go with Macy's sir? And Macy is offering me free shipping.
    And SRP of Sony A6000 is 40k daw! Wow!

Attached Files: