Singapore Travel Tips

Discussion in 'Travel' started by thekemosabe, Jan 1, 2010.

1. mosaka

mosaka Active Member

Such a lovely city Singapore is. Concluding my recent trip, check out our list of the top things you shouldn't miss in this awesome city!

Top Things to do in Singapore

[​IMG]

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

jhonas015, legato and pandecoco like this.
  3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...not really a fan of street food. Good value? Maybe.

I’d recommend mall food courts (much cleaner, more convenient and competitively priced to hawker centers). My favorite is the basement-level food village of Takashimaya Dep store (Orchard Road, across Apple).

#1343 raypin, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Sunil_K likes this.
  4. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

^ For typical solo diners like me, I couldn't remember the last time we had lunch at the Taka basement foodcourt. Blame it to the big crowd like always full and honestly couldn't recall any delectable dish that could pull myself to visit regularly.

Perhaps, close to 10 years of working along Orchard Road, I have somehow been a frequent diner to a selected few; averaging to around S$10-12 per meal including drinks. Many of which are still around, some of whom have relocated if not totally closed business due to exorbitant rental fees. Quite amusing but most of the stalls/resto would already know my meal and preferences when the good staff/waiter/owner would see me afar, approaching the counter with a smile. That's the key. Be nice and don't flaunt your ferfect American English with them. :)
    • Song Fa Bak Kut Teh at Centrepoint. Oh unlimited sabaw goodness of pork bulalo. Comfort food at its finest. Sadly, thanks to more tourists for the longer queues these days even after normal lunch hours. The pork ribs are tender, less fatty. The condiments blend so well with the meat. I usually place a few slices of fresh red chilli which isn't even spicy labuyo levels, top it with the same blended chilli sauce and a couple of drops of dark thick soy sauce. Their iced lemon tea is the best so far. Their pig trotter and braised pork are also flavorful. Adobo intestines also taste great. Sarap sa kanin! When visiting other branches like Clarke Quay, Chinatown, and even at Expo/Changi Business Park, where some of the staff assigned there, who know me, would always spot me instantly like, "Oh you're here!!!" And immediately spreads chismis like "this guy ah, always eat bak kut teh. I know the order, no need ask." LOL
    • Wee Nam Kee - Chicken Rice at Marina Square / United Square (Novena). The roasted chicken rice is an all-time favorite. It must be enjoyed with the chilli, grated ginger conejero and a few drops of soy sauce. I pair it with the sambal kangkong and the delish iced lemon tea. Solved. If you happen to be at the Makansutra and solo, their stall offers the same chicken dishes there. I would ta bao (take out / take away) a serving of the roasted chicken leg with rice and a bowl of soup. How much? Around $5-6. And i would feast on the concrete benches near the waterline along Marina Bay while waiting for some UFO to appear on the Singapore skyline. I still think the Merlion is an alien.
    • QQ Noodle Bar (along Victoria Street near the Bugis Street) - a huge serving of my favorite seafood lumien (lomi), perfect for a rainy day (or any day kahit mainit, masarap pa rin). I personally would request to omit the slices of yam (gabi) and the dried tofu, which absorbs the sabaw. I also like their tom yum, which has a kick of sweet and spicy blend on the broth. They also have other best-selling noodle dishes.
    • Kim Dae Mun (B1 Concorde Hotel) - authentic Korean dishes. I love their sizzling spicy chicken, beef, bibimbap and saba. They come with sabaw and a side dish of either dilis, kimchi or the pickled cucumber which is really appetizing.
    • Formosa Delights Handmade Noodles (Food Republic [313@somerset / Wisma Atria])- my go-to for the pork or beef U-mien / dao xiao mien. Ah the beef u-mien is tasty and the meat slices are generous.
    • Mamita's - 2nd Floor, Lucky Plaza - For the longest time, it's only lately that I frequented this infamous structure because I had to stick to some white diet. Blame it to tooth bleach and stuff like that. I have no choice but to feast on sinigang/paksiw na bangus, ginataang tilapia. Each meal would only fetch for S$5 (+S$1 with drinks). But their bestseller is the beef bulalo with unli kanin. They serve a huge bone that's packed with bone marrow. Sarap. If you see an auntie who's screaming she's hungry or she wants some pedicure, that's probably Mamita.
    • Namnam Noodles Bar (Wheelock / Plaza Singapura) - for that quick Vietnamese pho fix.
    • Sanpoutei Ramen (Shaw Plaza basement) - love the Niigata tonkotsu ramen. I didn't know that the smokey aburi-chasu is so tasty and it melts in your mouth.
    • Any chicken rice stall - to give you a tip, make it sure you say "eh uncle/auntie, dowan the wing ah??!" (I don't want the wing). Because the pakpak is just a waste of money. I'm curious, though, I haven't seen my favorite uncle at the chicken rice stall at the 313@Somerset Food Republic lately. He would always recognize me and instantly yells at his staff to give me the best piece without the wings, of course. Ah, bless these people. Roasted Chicken Rice is life.
    Can?? Can...

jhonas015, h.chua, ramil and 3 others like this.
  5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Among those mentioned...

Chinatown Food Complex - bring someone who can speak Chinese! Outram Park Fried Kway Teow has a Michelin star... But Kway Teow is an acquired taste...
    - if you're already at Chinatown, Smith Street is Tourist friendly.

Old Airport Road - Soya Beancurd is good... But to us Pinoys, it's taho!

Maxwell Road - Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice but personally, I prefer Aspirasi (Malay fried chicken + rice)
    IMO, for me. best part about this place is that it's walking distance from Cake Spade :)

Tiong Bahru - I am very near this place but I haven't been to their Hawkers...

Chomp chomp - this place is so far from the MRT, locals love the place but I can't imagine a tourist going here.

If you love Chicken Rice... Try Boon Tong Kee

ramil, raypin, imart and 1 other person like this.
  6. ice

7. rvaph

rvaph Active Member

Just got back from Singapore. I attended a seminar, but I had a chance to go around the city during the Eid Holiday last Wednesday. You could imagine the crazy crowds not only in the usual tourist traps but even in places you wouldn't expect to be busy. The weather was crazy, just like here where it would be fine one moment and then rainy with thunderstorms the next. It scuttled some of my evening trips.

8. ice

Atlas Bar, COO Boutique Hostel on TIME's World's Greatest Places 2018 list | Channel News Asia

9. mosaka

mosaka Active Member

10. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

Hear ye! Hear ye! Orchard Road will be transformed into a Disney wonderland during the holiday season. See those mickey lights hanging on the narra trees? From what I observed, the past few years' designs have been either bland or full of design flaws. For one who has seen many Christmases here, I think that this could be the best so far. Book na!

[​IMG]

#1350 imart, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    jhonas015, Mykolant, ericb and 3 others like this.
  11. ice

12. ice

13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm...lucky families. For the cost of less than a single meal a month in SG, they get to live in houses with wide open spaces, unlike the cubby holes where most Singaporeans live. I hope it stays that way for them. Very provincial.

14. ice

15. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Nowadays whenever I see aerial shots, I' m wondering what drone was used and if I could replicate it myself.:LOL::LOL:

16. ice

17. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

Hey guys, what courier do you recommend to send stuff from Philippines to Singapore? I'm referring to Balikbayan box type of stuff. Maybe around 100 KG worth of goods.

Jolly Box is only SG to MNL. Thinking of using DHL but wanted to get 2 cents from those who have had experience. Getting movers like Santa Fe is too expensive, too so out of the question.

18. ice

^just buy excess baggage from the airline.

19. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

^Avoiding this since I won't want to lug around this much of goods from the airport. Door to door will help. Thanks anyway

20. ice

I've inquired about PHL-SG shipping around 8 years ago when my family moved here.

Issue they told me is SG customs are very strict. Plus the market is too small for them.

My Indian, Japanese and Chinese colleagues used international shipping companies (they basically used a entire container to ship their houses here) but it was too much for me.

IMO, airport belt to pick-up point isn't too bad, 100kg is just 4x25kg boxes (my family normally carry 60kg, 3 check-in bags during shopping trips)... For airport to home+man power, you can find those services easily at Carousell (I used to have regular movers, Myanmar nationals, who will meet me at Ikea or the airport if I need to transport big items)

h.chua likes this.