Sierra or El Cap?

Discussion in 'Sierra (10.12)' started by VicB, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:08 PM.

1. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

Hi! Some of the apps I use have been updated & are beginning not to behave well under Yosemite which is the OS version I'm currently in. I'm looking for OS which is fairly stable since I run my business work from this Mac. I have a mid 2010 MacPro.

Which OS would be recommended by my fellow Philmuggers? TIA!

2. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Hi VicB

Can you tell us exact specs of your mac pro 2010. Just to share my experience with my Macbook pro 13 2010 6GB ram and upgraded to SSD.

El_capitan is more snappier when it comes to sierra same scenario with my wife's macbook air 11 2011 (2GB i5)

If your mac pro 2010 has SSD + atleast 6-8GB of ram you should be good with OSX Sierra

3. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

I personally suggest that you go for El Capitan, unless there are features unique in Sierra that are indispensable to you or you have to use an application that specifically runs only in Sierra, and in either case there is no viable substitute/workaround available in El Capitan.

Sunil_K likes this.
  4. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

@Don Pao & @Qin Zhi, thank you for your comments & suggestions.

My 2010 MacPro has a 500 GB HDD with the following specs:
    Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 9.17.19 AM.png

It looks like it's El Cap for the moment. When cash becomes available, the memory will be bumped up to at least 32 GB.

5. Don Pao

@VicB You mentioned your using HDD. i suggest you upgrade to SSD first instead of 32GB Ram. Guaranteed satisfaction hehehe

#5 Don Pao, Aug 12, 2017 at 9:57 AM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    VicB and Qin Zhi like this.
  6. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, @Don Pao! Will probably make the SSD the boot disk along with the apps. Documents & other files will go to the old HDD. Will use symbolic links to have a semi-fusion drive. ;) Now to find the cash to afford the SSD! (n)

7. Don Pao

@VicB if your on a tight budget we found a seller in gilmore that sells Intel 180GB SSD for 2.3k. (Used) my friend upgraded his 2009 MBP 15 from HDD to SSD.

i still have my intel x25M 80GB give or take this should be around 7-8 years old. got this used way back 2013

8. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

@Don Pao, may I have the seller's contact details? TIA!

9. Don Pao

VicB likes this.
  10. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

11. Don Pao

No worries bro. If it happen you drop bu gilmore you can ask for discount. My friend was able to get it for 2.3k 180GB intel

Or if you like bnew 2.8-3.7k for 128gb.