Samsung Galaxy S8

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by gestapo, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

It's only available in 14 countries...

So your device supports it, but it's not available in your country.

2. red_manila

red_manila Member

Pretty bummed that my S8+ is having the moisture detected in the charging/usb port bug which, I noticed, started when I installed the last update (the one that enables hiding the nav bar). The error even prevents me from charging the phone sometimes. I've never dunked the phone in, nor introduced it to, water. Hope this is just a software thing, and will be fixed by the next update.

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I installed the update and I never ever got that notification.

Like you, I've never submerged it underwater. Though, I've used it in a drizzle twice.

4. red_manila

red_manila Member

Must not be the update, then. I've even left the phone at home and "left it to dry" for 2 days and the error message still comes on out of nowhere. But hey, knowing that not all who updated gets this error probably means I'm due for a visit with the service center.

5. thinman

thinman Member

Got my new S8+ last friday from Smart. Was surprise and glad about the reduced cash out from 6k to 4k

jesusluison likes this.
  6. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

Got my S8 a few days ago. Very impressed with the iris scanner! The speed is amazing, I actually end up opening the phone when I just want to check the time (I don't use Always On). The camera is the best I've used on a phone (I came from iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6). Overall, it's the best phone I've owned.

#186 cyrianagujo, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    jesusluison likes this.
  7. mree

mree Active Member

Samsung is offering a trade-in of old smartphone to S8. S8 cost minus phone appraisal, minus another Php2k. I wonder how much they will appraise an iPhone 7 128GB. If they will appraise it too low, heck no. It'll be better to sell the iPhone and just get an S8.

jesusluison likes this.
  8. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Folks. Bixby Voice in finally available on S8. :):) Just installed the latest software update.

9. oj88

Yeah, and I turned it off the day after it went live and went back to "Ok Google".

The main tiff I have is it requires you to use the native Samsung app for the integration to work. For example, I use GoSMS for texting. If I say, "Hello Bixby. Read my last text message". It won't work as the default SMS app is not Samsung's own.

I turned off Bixby altogether and reassigned the Bixby button to do the following:

1. Short press - Simulates Back button
    2. Double-press - Simulates Home button
    3. Long-press - Open Google Assistant

porkypork likes this.
  10. francisian

francisian Well-Known Member

How did you do this?

11. oj88

You'll need at most 3 apps, a small bit of cash and 5 minutes of your time.

1. Install bxActions (then buy the Pro version)
    2. Change Mode to Control Mode
    3. Enable USB Debugging and grant necessary permissions using a PC hooked up to the phone via USB. NO ROOT NECESSARY (Instructions in the bxActions app)
    4. Disable Bixby by installing BK Disabler (Php 79) and BK Plugin 2 (Free) - Again, instructions provided by bxActions)
    5. Follow instructions to disable "Bixby Home"
    6. Go back to bxActions and Re-map the Bixby button to whatever you want it to do

DISCLAIMER: This could be patched up by Samsung anytime in the future so no guarantees it will work indefinitely. But based on the last security update I installed just yesterday (August 28, 2017), my Bixby button customization based on the above steps prevailed.

12. francisian

francisian Well-Known Member

Thank you. Now working on my phone

13. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

Just want to share that I just got an S8 now after my iPhone 6 screen conked out. Got it from the launch more than 2 years ago. I was also on iPhones before that.

After a few days of using the S8 (after playing around demo units several times in stores), I'm finding myself wanting to go back to iOS primarily because of the difference in the way apps scroll in response to your touch, and the ugly sizing and spacing in text and other elements on the screen.

For the touch response, it's not laggy, but it's not smooth the way iOS is.

For the design, either there's so much wasted space, but somehow at the same time, the design of Android apps looks more crowded versus the iOS version. This latter part is probably due to the difficulty of designing apps for a fragmented OS.

The main reason I decided to get the S8 is my disappointment after seeing the iPhone 8 and X launch, and feeling like it's more of the same. But now after experiencing firsthand, more of the same seems more preferable.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with my concerns with the S8/Android? Any launcher or display setting I should use? Do people stick with the default S8 launcher or change right away?

macjobber and vic2rp like this.
  14. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

I always use another launcher as Android's is frankly crappy for me. Try to use Nova Launcher, so you can customize app arrangements (grids, sizes, etc) and gestures all you want. It will make a world of difference.

15. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

16. ponpon

ponpon Active Member

Try setting the animation scales to minimum via developer options. If you haven't activated developer options yet, go to Settings > About Phone > Software Information. Tap on the build number multiple times (7X IIRC). Developer options will now appear at the bottom of the main settings screen. Note that even after setting animations to minimum, I still feel that iOS interface is smoother.

Another option is to install custom ROM but you have to root your phone to do that.

17. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

Anyone got this message? My sister got this. Too bad she moved to an iPhone already (previously S7)

This excites me because some areas in my home have spotty coverage and this will help
    Immensely + hopefully they so a carrier update for iPhone users too.

harbingerdeath likes this.
  18. harbingerdeath

Nope. Didnt have this message yet. :(
    Is your sister from that telco? Maybe they are doing initial testing pa lang.

19. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

That's the same feedback from my friend at Globe. Looks like its a closed beta so selected (lucky) subs can use it early.

I've contacted friends with S7 and S8 and told them to try it out to no avail since they didn't get the SMS.

20. vic2rp

vic2rp Member

Lagdroid is real. I never believed on it before, given the benchmarks results of s8+. Thought Apple fans just use the term to piss off Android fans.
    Opening, closing and switching apps are super slow half of the time even after reset.
    Maybe this is OK for old time android users but me coming from Apple, it gets quite irritating.
    I bought s8+ just last May, is this normal?

macjobber likes this.