Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by 650h2, Sep 5, 2013.

1. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Any details on the promo?

2. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

"Get the new Samsung GALAXY S5 at absolutely 0% interest over 12 months on select major credit cards + P2,000 off any of the Gear Fit, Grar 2 or Gear 2 Neo + P500 off any Samsung Mobile Accesorries. Available only on April 26, 2014 at the following Samsung Experience Shops: SM Aura, SM Megamall, SM Pampanga, SM Iloilo, Ayala Center Cebu and SM Davao." - http://www.samsung.com/ph/s5onedayoffer/

3. mongkee

Finally got a Gear 2 from Samsung Megamall. After fiddling it for a few hours already, here what I have to say so far:

Connection:
    - Nothing special. Once you have the Gear Manager installed on your smartphone and some software updates when connecting the watch and phone on the 1st go then you're all set

Companion App:
    - Gear Manager app is just like any other app which you download from Samsung Apps. But this is where I think Samsung got it right compared to the other smartwatch makers: the app has everything you need to completely control the use of the smartwatch. Most of the app features are standard (settings, customization, browsing/downloading additional watch apps and faces) are all there but it also includes a notification menu that will allow you to choose the other apps installed in your phone that you want their notifications to be forwarded to the Gear 2. To me, not having to download and install other 3rd party notification apps (had to with my Sony SW2 and Pebble) to be able to receive notifications from BBM, WhatsApp, Viber, Kakao Talk, Skype, etc. is a plus factor with this particular smartwatch

User Interface:
    - using the touch-friendly interface is very snappy as compared to the Sony SW2 which was at times was laggy and slow. Versus the Pebble, i prefer the Gear 2 interface is as well since I no longer have to press any buttons which on the Pebble was a bit hard to press in the first place. On itself, using the Tizen-based UI feels smooth and the learning curve is almost non-existent (just have to learn that swiping down the screen is equivalent to Android's back button). When accessing data from the phone (contacts and call logs) it almost had no lag and quickly brought up the data on the watch screen quickly

Ruggedness:
    - Here's where I'm still skeptical. Not having the waterproof abilities of the Pebble actually makes me nervous (coming from my experience with the Sony SW2). So for now I won't be using it in the gym or when I shower afterwards although it kinda beats the point since it's supposed to be a fitness tracker

Aesthetics:
    - Compared to the other smartwatches I've used, this is the bulkiest but I really don't mind. I've convinced myself long ago I wont be winning any fashion awards when wearing a smartwatch anyway. Here is where I prefer functionality over style. But still, I will be replacing the stock watchstrap because i personally find the stock ones so over-complicated with the adjustable metal-over-rubber setup. I did try to put on the polycarbonate strap i used on my Pebble which I was saving for the Gear 2 but the way this was made, the straps were almost right-angled with the watch itself and looked awkward. I have a metal strap coming in so I'll see how that turns out. For now I'm stuck with the stock strap. I'm no screen expert so I'll just describe the colored display as what you'd expect from Samsung. Besides, I was using a Pebble before so this is really an upgrade for me in this department. Although the Sony SW2 did have a colored display too but it's safe to say it didn't look as good as this one

Customization:
    - Apart from the strap, I find the few watchfaces available from the Gear Manager kinda nice (at least for my limited taste). I'll try to post some pics soon. So even with the limited choices, I'm very happy already with what's already out there and available for download and didn't find myself longing for an endless option of (mostly cheesy) watchfaces like what you find in the Pebble

Battery Life and Charging:
    - When the Samsung rep powered it up for testing prior to purchase, it had 60% battery and that was approximately 4 hours ago. But I had been using it heavily (you know, the "new gadget" syndrome) since I got it. The documentation says 2 days of heavy usage so I'm really not expecting a lot on this category. I do intend to power it off when going to bed just so hopefully I can stretch that to a few more days. It also helps that the clip-on charger is small and not as cumbersome as the proprietary pebble cable charger so it's a small addition to my accessories kit (no need for a separate cable since the clip-on charger can use any micro-USB cable)

Long story short: What I like most are the bells and whistles it comes with that. What I don't like so much is the strap (but since it's replaceable then it's not a permanent problem). What I really dislike is that it isn't waterproof (so I may have to adjust my usage for this not be a problem)

Update: To those who have the Gear 2 as well, is the vibration this weak? I can hardly feel it vibrate on my wrist. As compared to the Pebble where you can really feel the vibration even if it isn't tightly strapped on the wrist. Very disappointed with this one

#83 mongkee, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  4. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

The Gear 2/Neo and Fit are all IP67 certified, at least according to this slide from Samsung.

[​IMG]

5. mongkee

Yeah, but I'm not taking any chances this time around. Specially when this particular smartwatch costs a bit more than the SW2 i drowned way back. The last 2 days though I have been exercising with it but afterwards I just wipe it with a damp towel to clean it off rather than take it for a shower

6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Samsung's Gear S smartwatch doesn't need a phone to get online or make calls - from Engadget

[​IMG]

7. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

8. ice

Samsung answers the Apple Watch Digital Crown with a rotating, round bezel | The Verge

[​IMG]

9. ice

Samsung's Next Smartwatch To Be Revealed Next Month | Forbes Now

[​IMG]

10. ice

11. ice

12. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

13. ice

14. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

Looks really good, its running Tizen though and third party apps may be hard to come by.

15. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

16. TheParameter

TheParameter Member

Release date?

17. ice

18. ice

19. ice

20. ice