Saddleback briefcase --- worth the money?

Discussion in 'Third-party Accessories' started by jvpalomo, Dec 10, 2015.

1. jvpalomo

jvpalomo Member

$599 plus freight and tax worth it??

2. jvpalomo

jvpalomo Member

Forgot to mention, I'm looking at medium front pocket briefcase (Tobacco) ...

3. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

I have the Saddleback Leather Thin Briefcase. It's beautiful, well made, and will probably last longer than a lifetime if you take decent care of it. Gift from the wife, who had it shipped from the US straight to me in Tokyo with no problems.

Is it worth it? That's a question that will vary depending on what you mean "worth it" means. At its essence it's just another bag that can do the job of something that's worth about P1000. But that's like saying a Coach Bag can do the same as a P1000 bag, or a Ferrari can bring you to the same place as any car would. "Worth it" is relative.

Warning though: It's heavy. Something to consider.

Leo

P.S. If you're very price conscious about it, then you're buying the wrong bag. You don't buy this one for price.

jvpalomo likes this.
  4. jvpalomo

jvpalomo Member

Thanks Leo for you inputs,

Yeah, I know what you mean about the price ... but then again, I'm used to using like Kenneth cole, samsonite or something which is like half the price .. Perhaps, what I should asked is.... is it worth investing :)

#4 jvpalomo, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  5. jvpalomo

jvpalomo Member

Maybe investing is not the right word ... hahahaha ... perhaps, shelling extra more ...

6. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

In my experience, I find it easier to answer a girl who asks, "Is this bag worth it?" My reply is usually, "Follow your heart." For a guy, the decision requires a string of complicated algorithms.

berdilot, wattleferdz, gaol and 7 others like this.
  7. coolpix32

coolpix32 Member

Well said. Haha!

jvpalomo likes this.
  8. jlconferido

jlconferido Active Member

Saddleback makes good leather bags. This is mainly due to the leather and the construction of the bag. I suggest that you also look at briefcases that are made with Horween leather before you decide to buy. Horween is topnotch particularly the Chromexcel, Dublin and Essex lines. Lodgegoods.com sells briefcases made of Jorween leather. Etsy has a lot of artisans that make great leather products which you can also look into. OfMudandCoal, a Texan leather artisan, has a shop in Etsy and you can make a costum order.

#8 jlconferido, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    jvpalomo likes this.
  9. jvpalomo

jvpalomo Member

Thanks .. Will check it out.

10. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

In the economic sense, its a bad investment. Paraphrasing what Leo said, you can get something cheaper that does a similar function for a lot less (but will probably be less aesthetically pleasing). If you decide to sell it in the future, you would most likely sell it at a loss.

You will probably get compliments with this bag basing on the old thread. I'm sure there is value in that. Now the question is is it worth the premium?

By the way, you can also check out a local leather brand called The Tannery Manila. They sell similar looking bags at a cheaper price.

jvpalomo likes this.
  11. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Like what others have said "worth it" is relative. I like that Saddleback products (at least what we have) are low maintenance and well constructed. I don't want to have to replace bags frequently and found SBL quite durable.

jvpalomo and jlconferido like this.
  12. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

I always remember some old wise man told me, if you have to think 'is it worth it?' then probably its not.
    think as 'do I need it?' instead.

but for some, there is no question but only: I like it and I want it, period. only money needs a question mark.

jvpalomo and LeoCastillo like this.
  13. jlconferido

Looking at price points will make you think and look away, but, like all leather bags the secret is the leather and how it is put together. Saddleback uses chrome tanned leather from Mexico and its quality is superb. A little on the heavy side because of the other components. I would not say that it is a good investment but more like getting your hard-earned money's worth. I agree that Tannery Manila's bags are cheaper but I don't think that they can hold up compared to Saddleback. Locallly made leather is low quality.

jvpalomo likes this.
  14. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

One thing I learned when I was choosing a Saddleback leather bag is that what's also important is the stitching. Many bags are made with premium material but it's really at the stitches where it falls apart. Saddleback prides itself not just in the leather but the whole craftsmanship involved.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/craftsmanship/chpt1-no-breakable-parts

Leo

jvpalomo likes this.
  15. jvpalomo

jvpalomo Member

Guys, thanks for your inputs ... made me check out the difference between full grain and genuine leather .. :):)

16. jvpalomo

jvpalomo Member

Now I know what patina is ... :) My wife asked me that question when she had her 1st Lv... answered .. huh???? :):) Decided now guys .. thanks .. will post the pic of my purchase soon.

17. jlconferido

Purchasing sometimes involves a lot of research. Patina develops over time. I guess your wife has an LV Monogram which has vegetable-tanned bridle leather that has natural color. Hermann Oak and Wickett and Craig make the best vegetable-tanned leather. I love natural colored vegetable-tanned leather for belts and wallets. Here is my leather bracelet's patina. Btw, congratulations on your new purchase.

image.jpeg

jvpalomo likes this.
  18. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Member

I saw that Facebook post. It really is a very guapo bag. But I did hear that Saddleback Leather bags are quite heavy. However, if you have strong shoulders and an even stronger back, I think Saddleback Leather bags are truly worth it, in the "real" sense of that relative word.

jvpalomo likes this.
  19. tinmuning

tinmuning Member

My husband initially planned to purchase a Saddleback but settled for a Tannery Manila bag as wants to see and feel the actual product before buying it. He's been using his Tannery Manila purchase for almost a year and it looks great, to think it bears quite a load every day with his heavy MBP and case folders.

jvpalomo likes this.
  20. jvpalomo

jvpalomo Member

So frustrating!

Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 1.15.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 1.26.25 PM.png