Retina MacBook USB-C Charge cable replacement Program

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by infiniteloop, Feb 13, 2016.

1. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Active Member

Affected cables may cause Macbook retina to not charge or to charge intermittently when it is connected to a power adapter. Im using mine everyday but I dont notice any issues. How about you guys?

To check if your cable is affected, find the label "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China."

It took a while before I found it. I'll go to the nearest Apple store in San Francisco tomorrow and will post the update here.

http://www.apple.com/support/usbc-chargecable/

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^good you found yours...i'm still clueless where's mine...

3. mongkee

mongkee Active Member

It took me 3 tries to look for the markings on the cable. On mine, measure 7 inches from one of the ends of the cable and that's where it's printed.

And yup, mine's included in the replacement program though I haven't experienced any problems with it yet

So how does this whole replacement program work by the way? My first time to be affected by such. Will our APR's be the one to shell out the replacement? Do we get to keep the old cable or do we surrender this upon exchange for a new one? I wouldn't mind ending up with two orig Apple USB-C cables :D

4. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

I found it. It's a bit of a challenge because there is very little contrast between the label and the color of the cable. Open the link by the OP and it will give an idea where to find it.

5. magnus

magnus Active Member

Can't find any label. ;/

6. magnus

magnus Active Member

Found it na. Hard to find kasi covered ng dirt haha. Here is the guide
    IMG_2247.JPG IMG_2249.png

hitme64 likes this.
  7. infiniteloop

Ok so I visited the Apple store San Francisco just a few minutes ago. Went straight to the genius bar (no appointment) and I got my replacement in about 10 minutes. They just ask for the serial number, name and email. I was asked if I experienced any problems using my cable and I said "none, no issues at all". At first I thought "Oh shoot, wrong answer. No replacement for me!" but they replaced it anyway so I'm happy. Hehe

Here's the cable

[​IMG]

mongkee likes this.
  8. mongkee

mongkee Active Member

Congrats on the new cable bro. So they didn't get the old one right? What serial number did you give? I assume the serial number you gave is the Macbook's serial number?

I'm currently communicating with Danica of BTB via e-Mail for my replacement and she asked for my serial number as well. In the event that the APR's here turn down my replacement request for some reason, my plan B is to go to an Apple store in Sydney but in May pa. But if my cable doesn't conk out on me by then, then I wouldn't mind waiting that long

9. infiniteloop

I asked if I can keep the old cable but they wont let me, hehe. Yes macbook serial number only. Another option is have them ship the cable to you so you can keep the old one. I read somewhere that Apple is shipping the cable to your registered address for free. I suggest go to support page and chat with them.

10. mongkee

mongkee Active Member

Got it. I'm also looking at contacting Apple Support directly on how to go about this because the local APR route doesn't look promising. I am already the 3rd owner of my Macbook and I do not have the details that BTB is asking me (date of actual purchase, branch where it was purchased, mode of payment, etc) to facilitate the replacement

11. jazon_pogi

jazon_pogi Member

Apple surprised me and sent me a replacement cable without my knowledge.

12. pennylane

pennylane Member

took me a while to find it too. fortunately, mine has serial number right after the "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China."
    but the cable serial number is not the same as the macbook serial number

13. mongkee

mongkee Active Member

So far, I've inquired with BTB and iStudio on their policy with regard to Apple's replacement program. On both occasions, I explained that I no longer have any proof of purchase (I'm not the original owner) but I do know that this unit was bought from an APR (I recall the previous owner saying this was from iStudio, but I'm not 100% sure as my memory may have mixed up what he said with another APR)

For BTB (thru e-mail inquiry), I was initially asked for proof of purchase and the serial number of the unit. Having no proof of purchase (they're assuming that I lost the receipt and it was purchased from them) they asked for additional info to establish proof such as purchase date, which branch it was bought, mode of payment, etc. Since I do not have these info as well, this route doesn't look promising at the moment

For iStudio (store visit), I was asked for my unit's serial number. While I didn't have that info while I was there, they told me that if my unit checks out (to have been purchased from them), they'd have to get my cable and send it to their service center (Senco Link) to have it inspected, then after some time (i was given a 2-week estimate) they'd provide me with the replacement

So from what I gathered from both APRs, I can deduct that for any of us with cables eligible for replacement we won't be getting them on the spot. Looks like they will still have to go thru the usual procedure (leave item to have it checked then appropriate action soon after).

Take note, I am not complaining nor am I ranting about any of their procedures. I just wanted to know if it'd be possible to get a replacement on the spot, since leaving my cable with them is not an option as I would have no way of charging my Mac for at least 2 weeks. While I do have extra USB-C cables, I've already shelved those a couple of months back since I read about faulty 3rd-party USB-C cables and I'm not willing to go back using those anytime soon.

For now, it looks like I'll hang on to this cable for the meantime until my trip to Sydney in May and hopefully I can get an outright replacement at an Apple Store there

hitme64 likes this.
  14. mongkee

mongkee Active Member

Visited the Apple Store here in Castle Hill Towers (Sydney) to get my USB-C cable replaced. Went in, made a Genius Bar appointment, came back 30 later and got my replacement cable after 10mins. They didn't even have to ask for my Mac's S/N nor did they even bother to check my cable (i was holding on to it the whole time until I had to turn it over to get the new one)

How I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish we have our own bonafide Apple Store in the PH. Just compare what I had to go thru when I went to an APR vs an Apple Store

infiniteloop and francisian like this.
  15. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

In place of a replacement, I bought a new one...I don't have the eyes to locate the damn label...besides I might have erased it from too much alcohol for cleaning :p