Recommendation for newbie iOS developer

Discussion in 'Developers / Programmers' started by icedman21, May 23, 2016.

1. icedman21

icedman21 New Member

Hi everyone.

I have been a web and android developer for several years. I mostly use Win7 for web development and Lubuntu for Android programming.

Recently, I have been wanting to learn iOS programming, and since you can only really use an Apple system for this, I am looking for a system good enough for my needs. I am torn between a MacBook Pro 15 or the iMac 27inch 5K.

Having virtually no experience with Apple laptops and desktops, I am not sure what would be a better fit for me.

Are there any iOS developers here who can help me decide? Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

Go for portability. Get the MBP. There will be instances where you'd need to bring some of your work where an iMac can't go.

If price may be an issue get the smaller 13" MBP.

3. icedman21

icedman21 New Member

Is the MBP robust enough to run Xcode, and Android Studio at the same time, including the device emulators?

Pardon the total ignorance, I come from a very different background.

If it is able to do that, then I might be able to do all of work on the MBP, and never have to bring another device with me. I know the MBP has a great battery life, so that is definitely a big plus.

4. bacchus_3

I'm using a low-tier MBP 15" Retina (8GB RAM) and it can handle Xcode + Simulator + Instruments (profiling tool) just fine.

Been a long time I've used Java based IDEs but they are a memory hog so more RAM less beachballs with both running.

icedman21 likes this.
  5. icedman21

icedman21 New Member

Thank you so much for the inputs. Now it looks like I will be going with your recommendation.

I can always connect a spare display to the MBP if I need bigger screen real estate. All I need now are tutorials for iOS app development. (y)

6. Leviticusrockzph

Leviticusrockzph New Member

How is it going with your iOS development? I wanted to learn to. thanks

7. icedman21

icedman21 New Member

I have learned a bit of Swift, but it is slow going as most examples and tutorials that I can find are based on Objective C. Also, it is a bit hard to devote time to study as I have a lot of Android and web development projects.

Once I am confident that I have mastered Swift, I will then switch to Objective C.

BTW, I went with the 5K iMac, and I don't have any regrets. I just love the display. But I will be a getting a MBP in the near future as well.

Leviticusrockzph likes this.
  8. bacchus_3

Why switch to Objective-C? You may need it only for maintaining existing apps but everybody's switching to Swift now.

Try reading through hundreds of articles here https://www.raywenderlich.com

Most articles have now migrated to using Swift in examples.

9. icedman21

icedman21 New Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I will frequent that site from now on.

I guess I should have said I would also learn Objective C instead of switching to it. I feel that I would need to learn it as well if I were to become a well-rounded iOS developer.

I do love to study and learn new things, so while not essential, I still would like to dive into Objective C programming.

Thanks again. :)

10. Leviticusrockzph

Leviticusrockzph New Member

Hi, Do you have any recommended tutiorials for beginners or any site to start? Wanted to learn little by little

Thanks

11. bacchus_3

^^ Check the link I gave.

12. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

The Ray Wenderlich books are good too. Buy them when they're on sale.

13. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

i just subscribed to Ray Wenderlich's site. would love to make a purchase but the books are quite on the expensive side. any idea as to when they usually go on sale? thanks amigos!

14. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

Black Friday/Cyber Monday are the only days I can recall at the moment.

15. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

thanks! will wait for that before i splurge on the 3 books i've been eyeing. meanwhile, i'll read up on the free epic-length tutorial they sent me for having just subscribed earlier. it'll be a good gut check if i'm really up for this long term.

16. webcoderph

webcoderph New Member

hi guys im new to ios development. is there a store where i can buy a swift book locally?
    thanks

17. Saijah

Saijah Member

https://www.hackingwithswift.com

This website was recommended to me and I think I'll buy the bundle since he stated that he will support the upcoming updates (ios 11 and xcode 9) once it's released, for free.