Really slow el Capitan and lots of Spinning Wait Cursor

Discussion in 'El Capitan (10.11)' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 8, 2016.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic Well-Known Member

On August 2016 I installed Office 2015 and removed Office 2011 manually as described on Microsoft.com. After doing so I started experiencing progressively slowe el Capitan boot ups whether normal booting or Safe Mode and lots of spinning wait cursor in normal booting or Safe Mode.

It got progressively worse since August 2016. I have been tolerating it as I wasnt in the mood to play sysadmin.

Starting apps are really slow and surfing to other websites is realy slow to. Spinning wait cursor happens a whole lot.

Initially I tried fixing things using AppleJack for Mac thinking this is a permissions issue. Problem persisted and error messages appeared during use of AppleJack.

I suspect that I have malware and after installing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and BitDefender for Mac I was proven correct.

Malwarebytes was able to detect the 2 malware seen by BitDefender and remove them in Safe Mode. BitDefender refused to run in Safe Mode. BitDefender ran under normal booting but paused a whole lot.

Even after malwarebytes has removed these problem I am still encountering issues of slow boot up whether normal booting or Safe Mode.

Corrective actions I am considering within the week are the following.

* Copy all /Desktop/ /Documents/ /Downloads/ /Movies/ /Pictures/ in /user/
    * Clean install of macOS Sierra
    * Restore from a pre-Office 2015 Time Machine backup.
    * Paste all /Desktop/ /Documents/ /Downloads/ /Movies/ /Pictures/

2. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

El Capitan is my worst experience on Mac,
    Sierra regain my love of Mac, but its just crashed big time today, my iMac wont wake up after I return after lunch break, I have to force restart 2x to bring it back.

3. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

@yoh_hectic

This happened to one of my macs. Though it was just a software problem. I ran all sorts of diagnostics and isolation techniques (including 2 fresh installs) but eventually found the hard drive needed replacement. Another is of my friend's macbook pro which was eventually found with a faulty hdd cable. Hope your unit won't come to that.

4. yoh_hectic

Thanks for the feedback don and mak.

As most of the spinning wait cursor was caused by browser scripts I googled what these scripts were about and it was connected to my add-ons, extension and plugins for Firefox, Safari and Chrome.

Having deleted all of them my browsers are now really snappy with no spinning wait cursors.

• Boot up is still slow on a Fusion Drive|
    • Only 1 of 2 user accounts are shown
    • Logging into the system is slow too
    I got fed up and upgraded to macOS Sierra from a USB flash drive.

2nd cold boot after and 2nd login after is 95% better.

Trying to reinstall some of the add-ons, extension and plugins for Firefox, Safari and Chrome results in spinning wait cursors so I deleted the preference files that did not get deleted when the uninstall was done.

Cleaning that out then reinstall some of the add-ons, extension and plugins for Firefox, Safari and Chrome has no spinning wait cursors.

Now, my last problem is my other user not appearing on the login screen. How do I restore that?

5. yoh_hectic

I ended up erasing the iMac and doing a clean install of Sierra.

Will restore from a May 2015 backup. I was able to save all the user files I made so I am reasonably ok.

VicB likes this.
  6. itnetad

itnetad Active Member

I also noticed slowless in everything on a first boot but when all system/app loads up everything is seamless. But shutdown takes time now compared to el capitan

7. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

@yoh_hectic - do not "restore" from a TimeMachine backup... instead, use Migration Assistant. - then in doing this, uncheck "Computer and Network" settings.

RE: other user(s) not appearing on the logon screen, check your settings in System Preferences > Users & Groups

8. cybersniper

enter the following commands in Terminal (in order):
    • cd ~/Library/Preferences/
    • rm com.apple.desktop.plist
    • killall Dock

9. cybersniper

Welcome to MacOS Sierra... now, your next threads would be:
    "Graphic problems / glitch on MacOS Sierra" and/or "MacOS Sierra hanging randomly" :)