Pls recommend good and affordable NAS for home use

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Alucard, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Mine took like more than 24 hours, when I replaced a single hard drive.

2. King

King Active Member

Thanks!

On a side note for those living in the US or are into freight forwarding back to the Philippines you might be interested in shuckling these really cheap 8TB WD easystore external drives that sport 8TB WD Red NAS drives, These NAS drives normally go 2x more when buying them without the external drive enclosure.

Black Friday 2017 price of $129.99 8TB WD easystore was $0.02/GB or ₱0.85/GB at today's forex.

Three of those 8TB drives (24TB in total) in the US would be equivalent to one 12TB Seagate Ironwolf here.

Edit:

I recently discovered that Seagate came out with a new drive technology that allows for up to 480MB/s sustained throughput without resorting to RAID or SSDs. This will make 1Gbit/s networks become the bottleneck for future drives 14TB & larger.

In prepration for this a new 4-bay NAS came out recently that are 10Gbit/s (1,000MB/s~) Ethernet-ready. This is the same Ethernet port found in the iMac Pro.

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/ts-473 (I prefer this as I don't want to pay extra for a HDMI port or remote control that I would never use)

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/tvs-473

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/tvs-473e

#462 King, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  3. zChris

zChris Active Member

It’s normally very slow. I had one of these running for a week once. Turning off all other package services sort of speeds it up.

I don’t quite remember if a newly formatted NAS takes this long, though.

4. Juice

Supporter

Yeah, that 1 gigabit bottleneck is something to think about. That's why I put 3 gigabit cables running to my son's room, cause he's starting to like photography now. One for his TV and the the two are for his computer. I'm thinking 2 gigabit is fine, but I'll be adding 2 more or probably a Cat6A for future proofing. He's storing RAW files and some videos. I'll probably invest in a 12 bay later this year.

5. King

King Active Member

This is Seagate Mach.2's multi-actuator that will allow for sustained throughput of 480MB/s. Other 14TB drives from WD & Toshiba do not exceed 298MB/s.

SATA III tops out at 600MB/s

[​IMG]

Juice and Sunil_K like this.
  6. Leeger

Leeger Well-Known Member

Thinking if setting up a NAS as I am into photography and storage is a concern for me. If I set up a NAS will i be able to wirelessly import photos from there to Lightroom? Can I also set it up to be the default backup storage of my MBP and iphone?

7. King

King Active Member

Your transfer rate will be slower via WiFi than through a wired connection. You will need to buy a NAS with wifi built-in or install a wi-fi card into it to make the connection.

Leeger likes this.
  8. zChris

zChris Active Member

Any of you guys running Synology specifically for Plex using 4K HDR streams?

I am planning to upgrade my DS1512+ this year. The machine is basically used for Plex with Samsung UHD TVs, Google Chromecast Ultra, and AppleTV as the main clients. Most of my content is 1080p but am considering shifting to 4K so am trying to figure out the correct setup.

Models under consideration are the Synology RS818+ or the DS918+. I like the RS because I have a little rack at home and the RS would save lots of space. It’s basically same as the DS1517+ but with one less disk, so am pretty sure that it will work for my current use case, just not sure with 4K.

Meanwhile, the DS918+ has a slightly more powerful CPU and Plex can do hardware accelerated transcode up to 2160p non-HDR. It’s cheaper too.

So my question is whether you guys are running a Plex setup on Synology with 4K content and what your setups are: 1) NAS model, 2) Plex Client Device types, 3) Working well or not.

Thanks,

Chris

9. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

^^ I don’t have 4K videos yet but when video formats from 1080p and up (including 10-bit) have become common my DS215play Plex server can’t stream these heavy videos anymore.

What I discovered that will work with any NAS that can handle minimum network throughput for 4K videos is just use it as shared folder and use VLC to play the video. Transcoding is done on VLC (eg on Apple TV). Plays well with no hiccups - on 1080p + 10bit/H.265

zChris likes this.
  10. King

King Active Member

To future-proof it go look for a NAS that is rack and has a 10GbE port. iMac Pro is the first Mac with 10GbE and is a good indicator that the standard has arrived at the prosumer level. Knowing what I know now I would probably do that instead.

11. Juice

Supporter

I've been looking for a local Synology distributor but can't find any on the web. Does anyone have any leads? I'll be upgrading in a couple of months to a tack mount option with 12 bay and I can only see the 4, 5 and 12 but not rack mounted.

12. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

Check with Shuttermaster/Aperture Trading. Got my Synology from them

Juice likes this.
  13. gaol

gaol Well-Known Member

Juice likes this.
  14. 11Finger

11Finger Member

I'm using a DS916+ playing occasional 4K... My experience is that as long as the NAS has native support for the format should be OK but outside of that you are going to have lag issues. I was thinking of buying the DS918+ as well but am holding off on this as I'm waiting for one with 10bit support...

15. zChris

zChris Active Member

I’m green with envy! I was actually eyeing the RS818+ as a rack mount option for my replacement but the processor is a C2538, which is apparently a four year old processor. The RS2418+, which is the 12 bay rack mount, uses the same CPU. The RS3617xs would have been ideal but is just too crazy expensive for me!

I will probably go with the DS3018xs. It’s a desktop model, but the processor is almost twice as fast as the 818+, 1517+, 918+, etc. The Rackmount model would have really looked nice in my setup, but I figured that I wont be staring at my rack all the time anyway... :)

Added plus of the DS3018xs is that its a 6-bay model, which means that I don’t need to buy additional hard disks for now. Downside is that I will need to stick to my 216j as a backup NAS using Hyperbackup. I would have liked to just use Snapshot replication instead for near zero RPO and much shorter RTO in case I run into a problem with the primary NAS and need to do a restore.

As @11Finger says, I probably won’t be able to do 4K HDR transcoding on the box so I will need to upgrade my players to 4K-ready boxes (Nvidia Shield... yummm). On a side note, I did a test running Plex Media Server on my 2010 Mac Mini i5 and it was challenged in doing 4K transcoding too...

Juice likes this.
  16. King

King Active Member

https://www.synology.com/en-global/events/2018_solution_exhibition_de/Germany

• MR2200ac - first mesh product, tri-band router
    • DS619slim - 6-bay 2.5", supporting 4GB Ram expandable to 8
    • DS1019+ - 5-bay, scalable up to 10 drives, dedicated M.2 NVMe SSD slots, supporting 4 GB of RAM expandable up to 8 GB.
    • DS2419+ - 12-bay, scalable up to 24 drives, with PCI-e slot support for an M.2 SSD adapter card or optional 10GbE NIC.
    • RS1219+ - NAS in a 2U, 8-bay form factor, with a 12-inch depth compact design, scalable up to 12 drives.
    • RS1619RPxs - First XS series in 1U rackmount, onboard M.2 NVMe/SATA SSD slots, scalable up to 16 drives.
    No other details on the announcement and nothing on https://synology.com/ products yet

17. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

PSA:

Synology releases DSM 6.2

Haven't updated mine though.
    For XPEnology users, do not update yet since this a major release.

King likes this.
  18. zChris

zChris Active Member

Great catch! I hope it’s not for a 2019 actual release. Will wait and see.

19. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I haven't run any update myself in years. hehe

Still on DSM 5.1-5022 Update 5. Not a single hiccup from it so I just leave it alone.

Even though if security is a potential concern, the NAS is behind an awesome firewall and I'm not publishing any services from it to the internet. So I guess I'm good.

pepspeps likes this.
  20. King

King Active Member

Some benchmarks I did with my NAS.

macOS: High Sierra 10.3.4

NAS: DS918+ (DSM 6.1.7-15284) with 10TB Skyhawk

Router: DIR-655 Gigabit Router with 1GbE* connections over Apple Filing Protocol (AFP)

Benchmark: Blackmagic Disk Speed Test

2012 27" iMac Core i7 128GB Apple SSD 32GB RAM
    • 109MB/s Up
    • 115MB/s Down
    2011 13" MBP Core i7 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD 8GB RAM
    • 108MB/s Up
    • 115MB/s Down
    2010 13" MBP Core 2 Duo 240GB Crucial M500 SSD 4GB RAM
    • 99MB/s Up
    • 114MB/s Down
    Bonus: 2006 15" MBP Core Duo 80GB HDD 2GB RAM** with macOS X 10.6.8
    • 32.1MB/s Up Peak