The PLDT FIBR Thread

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by King, May 26, 2009.

1. paolodesilva

paolodesilva New Member

@knowsnomac - That happened to me before when I called the hotline to check on my bill. So I "drunk-dialled" other numbers to check if my landline is okay. Wala naman problema. Called the hotline again to check, di pa rin nila ko marinig whether I'm on speaker or using my handset. Maybe it's a way for them to screw around with customers. Or just to plainly piss people off.

Anyhow, this DNS issue is really pissing me off considering that I've used this several times for online bank transactions only to find out that once you go to another link within the bank's website, the dangerous "Page cannot be displayed" kicks in and next thing you know, once you login, the site tells you that you've been locked out of the system.

2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Same here, there's a significant slow down on youtube, but streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. are not affected.

3. hungryalien

hungryalien Active Member

it was really good on the 1st month.. was constantly hitting 20MBps.. then came 2nd month.. and now average of 1 to 3Mbps..

4. Juice

Supporter

I had the same problem. Their modem/router are having problems with 20MBPs and up. I had mine changed to the modem only, and didn't have problems after that.

5. hungryalien

ohh so i just need to call them up and have it switch to modem mode only? would that affect the "land line" that comes with it?

so whats the difference between modem mode and bridge mode?

6. Juice

Supporter

The one I have, has no wifi function and just the modem. If you're having problems with hitting the 20MBPs, it might be the modem/wifi they supply. At first, I had the modem only unit and then they changed it to the modem/wifi one, because they said they need to replace the modem only units. That's when my problems started. It took them several months to figure out the problem. So they changed it back the the modem only unit.

I wonder if the others who are at 20MBPs and above also uses the modem only units.

7. hungryalien

oh ok. ours is the modem/wifi one. will call them first tom to ask about it. we didnt change any settings though except for SSID.

8. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

@hungryalien, hope you can update us on your inquiry. Ours is also a modem/wifi unit & we just use it as installed by PLDT.

9. hungryalien

called this morning 101-fibr and girl said there are no problems with our settings from their side. so she will just request to restart my connection from their end.after reconnection am up about 5Mbps with 1ms ping (PLDT server) but still far cry from the 20Mbps of our first month.

10. Juice

Supporter

What the operator at the 101fibr does, is just reset the modem. What you need is the one who can change the speed of your modem, which is accessible through the technicians who visit your place, and will call them. That tech located somewhere is handled by only one office and handles the entire PLDT network(I know unbelievable), this is what the tech that came to my place called. They had to keep calling that place cause there's only 3 or 4 of them who knows how to raise the speed of the modem. This happened to me for 3 months, where they changed my modem/wifi combination about 3 times, until they finally figured out that they needed to switch the modem/wifi to the modem only type. If your barangay has direct access to PLDT fibr techs, ask them to visit your place. This is a very frustrating problem. I know how you feel. Call the tech to come to your house.

11. hungryalien

yeah thats what am doing next. the girl did say if the condition isnt improving. to call again and they will file for a tech visit.

how does the modem-only module look like? if its faster, then i dont mind switching to that module. although we were doing about 20Mbps with the modem/wifi module on our first month.

or its just a mode they switch from their end? if so, can i just request the girl from 101fibr to do that for me? or best to have the technician come over for a check-up?

12. Juice

Supporter

[​IMG]

It looks like this.

I also had no problems with the wifi/modem unit when they changed it. But after a few weeks when the routine IP changed, it started to drop speed. According to the tech that assisted me, there might be a problem with the modem/wifi units going faster than 8MBPs.

13. hungryalien

great! thanks for the pix!

i also wonder if others with the modem/wifi model is having the same problem?

14. mykel18

mykel18 Member

I'm using the modem wifi unit and I can reach my subscribed speed of 20Mbps

15. Juice

Supporter

I always wondered if the others with 20MBPs or more are having problems. I guess it was just me.

16. mykel18

mykel18 Member

Suggest you use another router and have the PLDT modem be set on bridge mode

17. hungryalien

Am currently using buffalo router tapped to the LAN1 of the PLDT router. Its working. But do i still need to have it switch to bridge mode? What difference does it make?

18. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Putting it on bridge mode blocks PLDT from hijacking your DNS settings. Most Fibr users opt to put it on bridge mode because they blame the poor service on PLDT's DNS.

19. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

What's the experience of Apple Extreme 2nd gen owners when they switch their PLDT routers to bridge mode? My Apple Extreme 2nd gen is connected to the LAN1 of the PLDT router. TIA for any feedback on this.

20. hungryalien

is PLDT's DNS making a lot of sites not loading / time-out? thats what i get from time to time. sometimes its safari though (kasi it works on chrome)