PBA Thread (Philippine Basketball Association)

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by ice, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Active Member

Añejo walked off the court in the second quarter of Game 6 of the First Conference against Formula Shell, which was already up, 62-47, at that time.

The Tropang Texters, under head coach Chot Reyes, on the other hand, marched out of the court in Game 4 of their PBA Philippine Cup quarterfinals series with the Ginebra Gin Kings.

2. CruciaL

CruciaL Well-Known Member

Was there any "successful" walkouts in the PBA?

3. epifaniod

epifaniod Member

As Somnambulist mentioned, Jawo's walkout was in Game 6 which did end up as the deciding game of that year's Finals.

4. REDcrazy

REDcrazy Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with this. Chan proved himself valuable in the FIBA Asia Championships. The thing that makes outside shooters very valuable in the International Game is that they stretch defenses. They unclog the lane and force the opposition to play honest defense and not help off them. That means they don't have to shoot to actually contribute. Their mere presence helps spread the floor and that means an easier time for their bigger teammates to operate inside.

I think that was frustration more than anything else. I think he wanted outta there. :)

Yeng is a good coach. I don't think there's anyone else who could have accomplished what he accomplished with this kind of team. When you compare his squad to RSA's SMC teams (San Mig Coffee, Petron and Ginebra) and MVP's teams (TnT, Meralco), you can see the gap in talent in comparison to his RoS squad, not to mention the resources they have at their disposal. The likes of Belga, Jervy Cruz, Rodriguez, Quinahan are players nobody wanted before but he built-up these players' confidence and made his squad play as a team. Barya-barya lang, as they say.

Now, I admit his rough approach may not be to everyone's liking, and I admit sometimes they go overboard, but you still have to appreciate what he's done to that club. He knows how to get the best from his players.

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

6. kolim

kolim Member

Slaughter and Lassiter (both from SMC) backed out from Gilas.

7. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

Were these really personal decisions, or might there be some pressure from the team/management?

Having multiple starters taken away will really set back team chemistry of the local ball club. Tenorio & Aguilar makes 2, a 3rd will send Ginebra down the standings. Fajardo will already be missed, but losing Lassiter will make their team look for new players to rely on. TNT is just an example of many players playing in Gilas that lost their championship form and the players seemed burned out. A good fit however in adjustments Gilas & back are Norwood, Jeff Chan & Pingris.

8. whitemug

whitemug Member

how far ahead can you purchase PBA tickets? i wanted to see if i could get some for my kids and i to next week's games (they're san mig & rain or shine fans), but then the PBA site only offered for this week's match-ups.

and i noticed a visible absence of games to be played at the moa arena. any reason why they're all at smart araneta?

9. kenobiz

kenobiz Active Member

You can buy tickets online

MOA Arena (smtickets.com)
    Araneta Coliseum (Welcome to TicketNet.com.ph! | Skip the Line, Go Online.)

Normally they post it 2-5 days before the game day so be sure to check it regularly.

10. whitemug

whitemug Member

when my kids and i watched the game at smart araneta last saturday, we saw a considerable number of vacant seats at the level were on on (upper patron area, i think), and a few more downstairs. what confuses me, however, is that when i went over to the sm ticket booth a a few days before that to buy the tickets, there were hardly any decent seats left vacant.

is it still advisable to buy tickets in advance? im thinking that perhaps the venue closes all the advance ticket sales on the day itself, and just concentrates everything at its own ticket booth on game day. would that be a correct assumption?

and as for the vacant seats, im guessing those were for sponsors, eh? and the people who were supposed to occupy those seats decided not to show up.

buti na lang, the usher at the ringside level allowed me to take my kids to that level just so that i could take a picture of them beside the court.

11. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Active Member

Marami kasing seats allocated to the ballclubs/teams, pero marami naman hindi nanonood, so nasasayang lang. Konti lang talaga ang magagandang seats na open to the public.

12. whitemug

whitemug Member

well, kumita na naman sila from those seats even though no one occupies them on gameday. but still, kinda unfair for the general public who want to enjoy the game, are willing to pay for premium seats, but can't.

maybe the league, or the venue, can set a cutoff time before they open the seats to be resold (at a discounted price?), much like chance passengers for an airplane ride. they stand to earn extra for those pre-sold seats too!

13. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Is it ok to bring and use a dslr camera on pba games? I saw some posters dati saying that its prohibited but I can see people around me taking pictures using their dslr cameras while watching the game.

14. ice

I agree with this!

The PBA should re-sell their unused tickets of the ticket holder is not at the venue by half-time of the first game!

They should realize that empty seats on TV looks bad.

15. papelandia

papelandia New Member

May kilala ba kayong nagbebenta ng discounted tickets allocated to teams? Im interested to buy

16. danlincoln

danlincoln Active Member

Getting sick of Ginebra's losses.

17. whitemug

whitemug Member

i think that as long as you dont bring in any of those premium (for canon these are the white L-lenses), you can bring in your dslrs.

but what i dont understand, and i noticed this recently, is how come smart araneta doesnt allow accredited photogs to sit & shoot on the court, along the baseline, anymore? i saw them positioning themselves among the seats behind the basket. whatgives?

18. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

Really? Are you sure? How will they know if the lenses are premium or not? Are the non-white Canon lenses not premium?

19. whitemug

whitemug Member

my guess (and im not 100% sure with this), is that their security personnel equate people bringing in cameras with long lenses to be "professionals", and thus need to be accredited for them to bring in their "advanced" equipment. if this were true, that's unfair to those of us who do own these types of gears, but are just fans of the league.

20. ice