Passport Issuing and DFA

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jaijin, Jul 15, 2010.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I couldn't stop thinking: "The lines might be monitored and they are required by the communist party to talk ONLY in English for easier spying."

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

While consulates and embassies are regarded to be the responsibility of the requesting nation in matters of administration, protocol and maintenance, usually it is the host nation that determines when and how anything related to these buildings that house said offices are concerned...in most instances, minor repairs are allowed but extensive ones are usually frowned upon especially if these buildings are government offices owned by the host nation...so you expect these consulates to be below standard, decrepit, old, dilapidated...DFA would not likely take great pains to have them refurbished or repaired given their limited budget (which is used more for operating expenses rather than maintenance and capital outlay)...

Just sayin'

Ejaxene, raypin and Mykolant like this.
  3. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Well, in the Sydney consulate, they will speak to you in Tagalog regardless whether you can speak it or not, as long as "muka kang Pinoy".

ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  4. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

Guys, would like to know if the current birth certificate passport requirement issued by PSA is one and the same with NSO? Or totally different?

5. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for the info @hitme64

I figured the same with regard to the general upkeep of the building etc. However, it's the monobloc chairs I can't comprehend. Understandably, it's all a budget issue, which is always the case for a third world country like ours.

To be fair, I might just have come on a very busy day which is why the line was so long. It was a Monday and in the midst of the Philippine summer season when many overseas Pinoys would want to fix their travel documents in time for a holiday in the motherland. The timing is right, too, since the passports applied for this week will come out in 6-8 weeks, which would already be winter in Oz, and might move many Pinoys to head for warmer weather albeit for a couple of weeks.

hitme64 likes this.
  6. tinmuning

tinmuning Member

My husband and I just renewed our passport last Tuesday at DFA Aseana and it's a horrible experience as expected. First, they make you wait in the makeshift tent outside until they are "ready" to let you in. Then a few minutes before your appointment time, they make you line up again outside the entrance, which is BS. Why would they make us stand up when they won't allow us to go in yet?

Once we were let inside, they our papers then they made us wait (again) around 30 minutes before we went through the snaking line with went outside (again) then up to where the DFA officials got our forms and cancelled our old passports. Overall, we spent 2 hours for the ordeal.

In contrast, my daughter's passport renewal at SM Megamall was much easier--she was done in 30 minutes. Waiting area is air-conditioned pa.

One thing I noticed while waiting for our turn: around 10 people went ahead with their passport appointment with incomplete or wrong documents. One lady was begging the DFA official to allow her to apply for her minor companion's passport even without an ID. She reasoned she brought other documents like baptismal certificate and report card. After the drama and paawa stuff, the DFA official stood firm and made her come back when all requirements are with her. Sayang the slots.

7. testdummy

testdummy Active Member

I had a pretty good experience in DFA South NCR (Alabang). I arrived 40 minutes before my schedule and was allowed inside at once. After the "musical chair" experience inside the office, it took me around 20 minutes to have my application validated. After the payment was done, it was a longer waiting time in the photo area, coz it was lunchtime and some of the booths were unoccupied, but the line was moving. It took me around 1 hr 15 mins to finish everything. I received my new 10 year valid passport the other day.

8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...when did they invalidate your old passport? When you submitted the application to renew?

9. testdummy

testdummy Active Member

Yes. They punch holes in your old passport on application for renewal.

raypin likes this.
  10. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

Renewed Our Passport via DFA "Passport on Wheels" c/o Congressman Tambunting.. a week ago here at Brgy BF Homes Pque..Waiting Tent for 2 hrs.. but as soon as we are inside for actual processing, payment & photo ops ..15mins it was all done =) ETA Passport via courier May 9 2018..

*Like most.. We can't book thru online appointment since february till April..good thing we chance upon congressman FB page that he will request this DFA Service here in our city.. We heard Sta Rosa have theirs last February.. Muntinlupa last March.. BF Homes last Monday..

11. rdy0329

As per DFA FB Page,

They'll be implementing electronic payments for slot reservation and renewal of our passport. Hopefully they don't botch it up and also allow for other modes of payments aside from credit cards (to be inclusive).

Hopefully payment is ALL-IN so when I get there, I'll just do the process and leave (one less step, two if you count LBC booth for passport delivery).

12. raypin

Mm...ostensibly, prepayment will prevent the DFA syndicates from taking the appointment slots and reselling it to desperate renewees. I m not sure if it will work, since the syndicate is selling appointment slots for far higher price than the cost of the renewal and they will just tack it in on top of their “service fee.” They might even increase their charge to take care of the added risk (of not being able to resell every slot now that it is prepaid).

I think part of the the problem lies in the fact that the syndicates are able to book the appointment slots and somehow able to change the details. Probably with the connivance of DFA personnel.

I am all for the prepayment. Let us just hope it works.

#472 raypin, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  13. rdy0329

Most likely within the IT provider of DFA. Encryption and Automation should be introduced to deter re-writing of slot reservation data.

14. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Some slots opened up at DFA SM Manila 2 months ago so i grabbed it immediately for my wife and 2 kids. Wrong decision. Our experience confirmed all the online comments about it being the worst one. arrived at 12 for our 1pm appointment, got to leave at 515pm. Excruciatingly slow, small cramped space, fighting in the line. Not allowed to use the phone, and only 3-4 looped episodes showing on-screen. My wife says it seems like the walk-in ones had it better/faster.

PS: There was also a PA announcement saying that renewals only require the old passport, yet for the ePassport renewals, every application is actually treated as a NEW one, so all documents have to be resubmitted.

15. raypin

Mm...wait what? This is from the DFA website mismo :
    6EEFB997-467E-41AA-88FB-B78325ED870D.jpeg

No. 5 is only for change of name.

Ang gulo ng DFA.

pandecoco and wulf like this.
  16. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Renewed with the entire family last week when my wife chamba on the extremely rare open slots in the online appointment system.

Arrived at 4:00pm, finished at about 6:30pm. Pwede na rin, except DFA Megamall's aircon could not keep up with the volume of people and the insane summer heat.

Good news: I won't have to do this again for the next ten years.

Bad news: Will have to make do with the heat-flustered look of my passport pic for the next ten years. Oh well.

Sunil_K, shakra00, wulf and 2 others like this.
  17. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Yup! Good thing we came prepared, must've been some outdated announcements they were playing. Those requirements were NOT on the email confirmation either, just had to search on the site itself. Too much to expect from them, I guess?

Godfather and raypin like this.
  18. testdummy

testdummy Active Member

That IS strange. My old passport was the only requirement I needed for renewal. I brought my birth certificate just in case, but it was not asked. This was in the Alabang branch.

19. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Seems new, I renewed mine mid-2017 at Aseana with just my expiring passport too.

20. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Well, as of last week, they required us to submit a photocopy of our NSO birth certificate. We also brought the originals. Also photocopy of your expiring passport.

As indicated in the attachment of our appointment confirmation :

[​IMG]

For some reason, the application form has to be printed on A4 size paper, not short bond or long bond. A4 pa dapat. Por que?

Also, in this day and age, all transactions are in cash. No credit cards accepted. Hmmm.