Panasonic DMC-LX5

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Silverhalide, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Classic black!

2. blueskies

blueskies Member

on aperture priority mode or manual mode, zoom in the lens to achieve fully open f/3.3 aperture

3. blueskies

blueskies Member

black!

4. testdummy

testdummy Active Member

Definitely black!

5. chi.mac

chi.mac Member

Thanks for the input!

6. gedley

gedley New Member

thanks!

7. riderandy

riderandy Member

I've got mine in SG. They carry the legit Panasonic carrying case. And I got it free. =)

8. riderandy

riderandy Member

9. sonic_mac

sonic_mac Member

Hi fellow Lumix enthusiasts, has anyone of you bought an LX 5 from onestopshop (a tipidpc online seller) similar to kimstore. She also has a multiply account and her name is Samara Chan. I am planning to get an LX 5 and I wonder who among the two has better product support. Both of them have it at P 14,800.00. Thanks.

10. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha! I thought there was a new one. That one's been up there since September last year.

11. doinksdoinks

doinksdoinks Member

hi guys, can i have your opinion on whether i should shift to canon s100. i really have a problem on my lx5 being a "compact" camera since i can't really fit it in my pocket and i have to always bring it with my carrying case. it's a really a bothersome for me to lug around a camera when going out. i really need to "compact" so i can put it in my pocket. that's why i want the s100. what would i miss with my lx5 if im shifting to canon s100? i really don't need the hot-shoe at the top since i mainly use it for pns. tia!

12. riderandy

riderandy Member

Haha. Sorry! I was out of country (and therefore, the world) for 6 months since September so I never had the chance to follow news about the LX5.

I definitely noticed faster AF operation after the update, and I think the focus sound became louder (or more crisp?) as well. I'm not complaining though, I like it.

13. riderandy

riderandy Member

IMO the LX5 is already considered a compact camera. If you still can't work with its size, then you must follow your preference and get the S100. I haven't had the chance to explore S100 but I'm hearing comparable results with the LX5.

I, too am a sucker for compact cameras that's why I chose to get an LX5 vs. a DSLR, which is too bulky for me.

14. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Features wise, very similar, now that the S100 has gone 24mm on the wide end. But I doubt if the S100 will be safe in your pocket just as it is, without any protection. Dust and all ... maybe keys and coins and whathaveyou. What I did was to have a beltbag custom-made for my LX5. Glad I have a small cellphone that truly fits in my pocket w/o any case, so I can always bring both with me.

15. doinksdoinks

doinksdoinks Member

I kind of held off in replacing my lx5 with canon's s100 due to the reported lens issue of the latter. I might stick with the lx5 and wait for it's due replacement ( if there is any, i mean come on it's already been 2 years right?) i have also set my sight on sony's rx100 which boasts a bigger sensor, 1 inch i think similar with nikon's v1 model, but the same size with the canon's s100.

16. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

The Samsung EX2F is also something ... f1.4, 24mm @ wide, 1/1.7" sensor.

17. doinksdoinks

doinksdoinks Member

That f1.4 is really something for a compact camera and the same sensor as the lx5

18. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

LX7 is here!!! F1.4 @24MM. Whoa!!! 10fps shooting ...

19. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

20. danielg

danielg PhilMUG Addict Member

LX7 is something of a let down for me. The 1st thing we noticed is the faster 24-90mm f/1.4-2.3 lens and for many people, they stop reading after that and begin to get excited BUT if you do read on, you will notice that Panasonic put in a smaller sensor than the one found in the LX3, LX5, S95, S100 :(

It's like they showed us a redesigned race car, with new body curves and a fantastic wheel set then sneak in the fine line that they put in a smaller engine with lesser hp. Although I am not dismissing it outright and will wait for reviews to come out before making final judgement on it :)