OZARK (Netflix Original) *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by greta87, Aug 16, 2017.

1. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

anyone else watched this?

I thought it was pretty F'd up. I guess the 'sleeping with the drug lord' formula still provides the thrills and suspense that viewers crave for. I just found the part as to how he/they got into the business with the drug lords a little unbelievable especially after they found out what was done to their predecessor... & even after knowing that, one of the partners still considered screwing the mexicans over.. but other than this (which unfortunately forms the premise of why Jason's character is in a sh*thole) everything else is pretty good.

Godfather and Chito Limson like this.
  2. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

3. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Atty Mannix, I enjoyed this series. Can't wait for the next season!

Godfather likes this.
  4. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Same here, can't wait for the next season. It's that thrill of power, and mob style formula. Powerful and unforgiving. I like how it progresses into a deeper sh*t of a dilemma.

Godfather and greta87 like this.
  5. greta87

I honestly couldn't see Jason Bateman as a serious actor. ha ha. but he seemed very comfortable with his role here. I also liked the tense and awkward interactions between him & Laura Linney's character. reminiscent of the relationship in Breaking Bad between Walter White & his wife.

hitme64 and Godfather like this.
  6. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

I binged on this while recovering from wisdom teeth surgery. Has a Breaking Bad feel to it. It looks like there will be a season 2.

greta87 likes this.
  7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

This is now one of my favorite shows. The comparison to Br Ba is easy to make, though perhaps a bit unfair to both. It also has the internal Michael Corleone conflict of ... "while saving my family could I also lose my family?"

Its essential theme, though, revolves around decision making - how one's path through life is the string of decisions one makes, and how emotions get in the way of clear thinking.

Technically it's also quite enjoyable, with the most natural picture quality of any series I've seen on Netflix. If you want to appreciate what 4K can do, this is the series to show it. Unfortunately for Laura Linney, 4K isn't kind to her, but it does show off every nuance of her brilliant acting.

greta87 likes this.
  8. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Great show. The storyline was quite addicting. I even enjoyed the "O" graphic at the start of each episode showing pictures of things you'll see in the episode

greta87 likes this.
  9. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

I kept waiting for this to appear as their new family car :

[​IMG]

:)

Gotta give it up for Jason Bateman's acting chops. After all these years, he's finally given a chance for a dramatic role, and he more than delivered.

Not bad, considering he was Teen Wolf Too.

hitme64 likes this.
  10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Just a few words from our sponsor, Ozark's Burger:

[​IMG]

:)

hitme64, Juice, SE20 and 1 other person like this.
  11. greta87

I couldn't understand your post until I saw something on FB about an ongoing promo for the burger place. ha ha.

rbenzon likes this.
  12. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Just finished watching season 1, looking forward to S02

Aside from Bateman and Linney, I also thought Esai Morales did a commendable job for his role. I always knew that he'd do good; he was stellar in the movie, 'La Bamba'.

The flashback episode even made reference to the movie, events that happened in reel/real life

13. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Anything with Jason Bateman on it is a blast...

Am amazed of the ease he has gone from comedy (which is oftentimes cringe-worthy) to drama (which he is more comfortable with)

greta87 likes this.
  14. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ and a seemingly good director at that.

Some takeaways from the season finale:
    1. The scenes at the Snell's house where Marty was brokering the deal were utterly intense, and comical at the same time, because of the smart ass comments that Del was making
    2. That pastor surely fooled me; although I couldn't tell if that was a last minute decision or not
    3. I'm gonna make sure my toenails are getting the (extra) pampering they need :D

greta87 likes this.