OS X Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mavericks (10.9)' started by bhoyetjumpay, Jun 11, 2013.

1. dyonabee

dyonabee Member

I delayed updating my OS from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and after months of official release, I finally gave in. I'm loving the interface, however, I HATE THAT IT FREEZES ALL THE TIME. I've only been using it for a few days and I've manually restarted my Mac (by pressing the power button for a few seconds) about 6-8 times. I'm worried this will mess up my hard drive. I was totally happy with SL, but I needed to upgrade my Keynote (which requires later OSX) on my Mac so I can open the Keynote files from my iPad Air. I bought my MacBook Pro in 2009, and currently with the following specs: 2.26 GHz processor, 8GB RAM.

Help, please? I tried searching for a solution but I feel like I'm drowning with information overload already -- I don't know which one to follow. Desperate mode...

2. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

Do a clean install. Saved me from a lot of headaches. I came from Mountain Lion and upgraded to Mavericks using the app store. But after months I noticed a lot of slowdown. Freezes and kernel panics. So last month I decided to do a clean install. It was a breath of fresh air. Lol

Dont hesistate. Just backup your files!

Cheers

3. nickster88

nickster88 Member

Any expert tips for newbies to do a clean Mavericks install?

Was perfectly happy with my 2013 MBA's performance and battery life until i upgraded.

4. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

make a time machine backup... proceed clean install of mavericks... afterwards restore apps, settings, files, etc from time machine backup.

5. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Found on Yahoo

X bucks, errr, I mean, 10 bucks says....

If you said OS-Ex, it's okay, it was nicer to hear when it rolled off your tongue... "Oh S... Ex...." :cool:

[​IMG]

6. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

OSex 10.9.3 is out! :)

7. Quint

Quint Member

Hi. I would love to get a clean install step-by-step guideline from anyone because mine freezes a lot on browser. Backed up, and ready to go! Thanks!

8. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

When i have re install problems, i just bring mine to the friendly store when i bought my laptop and have them reinstall while i window shop in greenhills :)

9. poleng

poleng Member

Anyone experiencing sloooowwww shutdown times on 10.9.3? before my imac shuts down around 3-5secs now its 30secs or more!

10. liv_m

liv_m Member

I'm experiencing slow shutdown time as well... i have already repaired disk permission, pram and smc reset but still the same... mine takes 18 sec to shut down... a little improvement from 22 sec. after performing said tasks.

11. Quint

Quint Member

Hi. I did a search and found no answers on Firefox upgrades being prevented especially that now I'm on Mavericks. There are two upgrades that I missed, version 28 and now 29, and I just want to know if there is anyone out there who can help. I've tried de-installing and re-installing the software to no avail.

TIA.

12. slrseeker

slrseeker Member

Have a question, I downloaded Mavericks from Snow Leopard just now. The problem is on my iPhoto, I can't open it it says, You can't use this version of the application "iPhoto" with this version of OS X. You have "iPhoto" 9.2.3. What should I do. Any help? TIA.

P.S. I didn't back-up for this, I just downloaded Mavericks all the way.

13. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Do you also remove other files when reinstalling Firefox?

E.g. ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox

Please download the latest version of iPhoto from the Mac App Store. I have 9.5.1.

14. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

slrseeker, was about to say what ejaxene just mentioned. totally agree, go to the Mac App Store and check the software updates section there. you should be able to see a newer version of iPhoto. let us know what happens.

15. slrseeker

slrseeker Member

Thank for the help Exajene and loudsound, I installed the latest iPhoto and it turned out well. :)

16. Quint

Quint Member

I don't have Firefox in the library that you quoted above. But I do have ~Library/Mozilla/Global.regs and ~Library/Application Support/Mozilla/Extensions/[file...]

What file should I delete?

17. triggerbokie

triggerbokie Member

im using osx mavericks and firefox 30. i'm having a lot of pop-ups.
    i've already gone to settings. pls help.

18. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

Question sirs.. I bought a 2nd hand MBP and been using it several weeks from now.. Last night I thought of formatting it and planned to do a clean install of Mavericks and I just did today but there's a problem.. I can't seem to install the new OSX because of the old Apple ID registered here on the machine is still active.. I can't contact the seller and can't install the new OSX because of the password.. How can I install the new OSX without using the old users apple ID/password?

19. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

Hi yagbolz. Did.try bootable usb installer?

20. Quint

Quint Member

Things are seemingly piling up on OSX Mavericks. Now, I can't even transfer files to a thumb drive? Anyone experienced the same thing?

Or do I have a virus?