OS X Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mavericks (10.9)' started by bhoyetjumpay, Jun 11, 2013.

1. vsperalta

vsperalta Member

updating your OS or not, I suggest you upgrade your RAM to at least 4GB. :)

2. ManongPishbol

ManongPishbol New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Will do.. Il stick with my mountain lion for now.

3. amielDH

amielDH Member

Will the battery charge cycle count reset if I do a clean install on my MacBook Pro?

4. mystavros

mystavros Member

Count will not reset.

5. amielDH

amielDH Member

Thanks! Planning on doing a clean install since my MacBook Pro is starting to lag but was worried that the count will reset. Cheers!

6. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

I have the same unit as yours, only my HD has been upgraded. I'm on OS X Mavericks and it's running smoothly. Yes, even on 2GB RAM. Of course, higher RAM is recommended but I'm fine with mine.

7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Still having problems with Time Machine on Mavericks - it takes about 3 days to back up 800 GB, where it used to take only minutes. And I have not yet seen a reliable fix via Apple website or Google. It takes hours and hours to just go through "Preparing backup..." and the backup process is exceedingly slow.

Anyone else having this problem or has resolved it?

Help please, thanks!

8. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

A possibility.... Perhaps your Time Machine hard drive is failing?

Leo

9. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I had reason to redo my Time Machine backup last week, and it also took a long time—a full day. And that was only a little over 400gb (I keep most of my files on external drives and leave just my apps and iTunes library on there so as to keep my iMac's 1tb home drive relatively free).

Now, I haven't done this at all since I started using TM when it first came out, so it was my first time to do it, and I was wondering why it took so long.

I just took it at face value and thought that was how it really was, and I attributed it to my backup drive's slow transfer speed (it was an old 750gb USB 2 drive—I didn't need a fast drive just for backing up), but now that you mention it, it was damned slow—that "Preparing Backup" stage took forever. There just might be something wrong with mine too.

10. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

What's your computer? Mine is a Macbook mid 2011 and USB's (USB2) transfer speed has become super slow when I upgraded to Mavericks. So I guess its not the TM but the USB interface :)

11. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Come to think of it, my complaints with TM are only for my iMac 27. My rMBP backs up fast to a portable hard drive. So it could be a hard drive - I've started to prepare a different hard drive for this task. Connection is Firewire. The new hard disk will be connected via USB 3.0.

12. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

Failing HDD is not only slow it also produce sound and irregular vibration when you touch it :)

13. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

try this: Fix Time Machine When Stuck on “Preparing Backup” in Mac OS X

14. sybcruz

sybcruz Member

I cannot click on my trackpad but cursor is moving while installing mavericks. Please help. How can i select install? Is there a keyboard shortcut?

15. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

^When you say you cannot click on the buttons of the install window, do you mean a TAP/DOUBLE TAP? If so, press with your thumb at the bottom left of your trackpad. Your trackpad 'preferences' are not active during the installation process. They are set to default rather than your settings. You can also use the Tab key to navigate across the installation window until the command button is highlighted, then press Enter. Hope this help.

16. sybcruz

sybcruz Member

Yes the tap/double tap. Ive tried clicking on the side. Nothing happen. Ive tried tab key. I keeps me going until when i have to choose whcich drive to install then i cant select the install button. Im stucked. Help

17. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

use any usb mouse...

18. sybcruz

sybcruz Member

Thank you! That one did the trick. I've installed it my problem now is that upon start up when I'm going to choose between my account and a guest account my trackpad tap/click is not working I have to use a mouse. How is that?

19. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

If there's a problem with the trackpad clicking, usually it's battery related. Have it checked in your suking Apple repair centre.

Leo

20. sybcruz

sybcruz Member

Ahh. Ok. But before installation of osx mavericks my battery was okay. But now it says service battery. Is there a fix for this?