OS X El Capitan

Discussion in 'El Capitan (10.11)' started by johannes, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Shinahashirome

Update: finally fixed icloud sync. Had to sign out and re log-in to all my devices. Hassle! but at least it is working. Thanks @Kleithxx for the help.

2. tsina

tsina Member

My AirDrop is not working after I updated to El Capitan.

thewittleprince likes this.
  3. essay

essay Active Member

Every time I am about to upgrade all my macs to Mr. Capitan, I hear reports like this and further delay the move.

4. Shinahashirome

Try logging in and out of your icloud account. That trick (or workaround) worked for me and some of my friends.

5. Shinahashirome

If you have a newer mac then go update! There are a lot of quirks, but it is minimal if not tolerable.

6. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

Same. Yosemite works for me right now and I've no pressing need to upgrade. I don't think it's worth the risk to upgrade right now, what with all the bugs popping up. I'm particularly concerned with the USB issues, which apparently has yet to be fixed. I've read that 10.11.3 beta has been released to developers, so, fingers crossed the major bugs would be resolved once it goes out of beta.

essay likes this.
  7. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

Ditto about upgrading to El Cap. May try it on an external HD with a clone of my Yosemite HD during Holy Week. This will give me time to assess it & serve as my penance if it becomes problematic. :p

8. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

Help! My installation is stuck at "about a second remaining", what could've probably went wrong?

I am installing from a bootable drive and I formatted the target drive prior to installation. Updating my mac mini 2011.

9. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Active Member

im only upgrading to El Capitan, because i need dota 2 work. im currently on Lion 10.7.5, and unfortunately this version isnt supported anymore.

10. SR_Eyes

SR_Eyes Member

I just bought a brand-new Mac Mini Late 2012. Would you recommend that I upgrade the OS to El Capitan or I just stay with the Mountain Lion?

11. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I updated the following Macs to El Capitan within a week of its release:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
    MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013)
    Mac mini (Late 2012)
    Mac mini (Mid 2010)

All were straight upgrades, no clean installs. So far, they all seem to be working flawlessly. I usually install from a Combo Update installer (downloaded directly from Apple's site) whenever a major update comes out though -- I hardly update OS X via Software Update/App Store.

12. cybernal

cybernal New Member

bro, where did you get this model? i am also looking for it. thanks

13. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My rule of thumb is -- upgrade to the latest version the machine supports. Since it's a brand new machine, the choice is even easier. That way, you get the latest updates (including security updates). Of course, I update as soon as it's available, but for normal people, I usually recommend they wait until the 10.x.1 update is released. El Capitan has been out for several months and it's already on 10.11.3 so should be ok for you to use :)

SR_Eyes and penmanila like this.
  14. pael

pael Well-Known Member

I am using a Mac Mini 2012, and I recently upgraded to El Capitan (not a fresh install). I noticed that whenever the mac mini wakes up from sleep, the wired ethernet stops to work, and I need to re-plug the ethernet cable. Anyone else experienced the same issue?

15. essay

essay Active Member

16. denpacs

denpacs Active Member

My Macbook's ethernet port just stopped working last night.
    I thought it's part of its end of life already as it's quite an old Macbook already.
    Then I read this:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/27/ethernet-not-working-imac-macbook-pro/

It's a common problem brought by a silent update released by Apple.
    I'll try the procedure given by Apple later then hopefully it will be resolved.
    Just don't want to give it up yet, not this time. :)

17. Flim

Flim Member

I'm on a brand new iMac, El Capitan 10.11.3, and have been unsuccessful having it detect my CanoLide 90 Scanner for the past few days, very frustrating. I've tried different fixes, including different Canon model drivers and OSXs, but no go. I don't think Canon will ever upgrade the Lide90 driver for profit motive reasons. But why buy a new scanner when my old one works perfectly with my MBAir on Yosemite -- which just justifies the reason to hold off upgrading to EC.

But some of you with newer scanner models may be luckier with the workarounds from the link below (check out the TWAIN/SANE packages). I tried out VueScan and it fortunately works. But what I really want is native OSX support.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7276906?start=15&tstart=0

#357 Flim, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  18. Martin Fontanilla

Martin Fontanilla New Member

Hello, i upgraded my osx el capitan to 10.11.3, i noticed some changes in terms of the log in bar. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

19. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

my external drive connected to usb port still ejected if no activity after a while, very annoying,
    have to have an active torrent just to make the drive connected always

20. SR_Eyes

SR_Eyes Member

Thank you, Patrick. I just upgraded to 10.11.03. I am happy with the performance of my unit and new features of the new OS.