OS 10.11.4 Update Available now

Discussion in 'El Capitan (10.11)' started by Nino, Mar 22, 2016.

1. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

I connected the dock to another mac with Yosemite and the drives didn't disconnect after using it for the whole day. So I'm quite sure its an El Capitan issue. Just connected the dock back to my MBP with El Crap and it only took less than a minute before the drives disappear from finder. Very frustrating considering I'm transferring hundreds of gigs of files from an old NAS to a new one.

2. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

Hi @makintosh! I'm still on the sidelines about upgrading to El Cap given your report. Is your HDD dock powered just by its USB connection to the Mac or is it powered by a power adaptor?

3. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

@VicB

The dock is powered by its own adapter. It holds 2 drives as the same time and the mac formatted and NTFS drives both or sequentially disappear from finder when accessed. I'm observing my external USB drives right now and will post feedback. I'm in the process of restoring the back up of my files to a newly set up NAS.

4. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

PROBLEM:

- whenever I plug in a USB storage device, either an external drive or a flashdrive, the system does not recognize it -- i.e. not mounting and not showing up on Disk Utility.

However, when I restart my Mac with those already plugged in before booting, they're working fine. I believe this is an OS issue.

Does anyone know a fix for this? it's very annoying for someone who needs to plug in external devices every now and then.

5. mokmoki

mokmoki Well-Known Member

damnit - i was hoping to bite the El Cap bullet for better Live Photos support. apparently these USB issues still aren't solved??

6. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

I know that this USB issue plaque 10.11.X from the start, but I haven't experienced it on my flash drives and external hdds.

Maybe the fact that I wiped my MBA clean and install a fresh 10.11.4. No time machine restore. But YMMV.

7. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

@makintosh

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to your experience with the drives. I may install El Cap on my MBA but not on my MacPro which is my work machine. The MBA is what I use whenever I'm travelling.

8. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

@VicB

NTFS formatted drives seem to be the ones that get disconnected. It happened before with 10.11 to 10.11.2. Got fixed in 10.11.3. And now back again in 10.11.4. Apple seems to have a beef with the file format and only wants consumers to use technologies and hardware within it product line.

9. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you tried using Tuxera NTFS for Mac? Been very happy with it, haven't had any issues using USB NTFS drives on El Cap.

10. cybersniper

I also did a clean install of 10.11.4 on my iMac... unfused, refused, clean installed ElCapitan, updated to 10.11.4 via combo....no time machine restore either.

11. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

@PatrickGaerlan

Yes I have Tuxera NTFS installed. I will try to reinstall it. Did a PRAM and SMC reset yesterday but haveb't checked yet if it made a difference. Will also test my flash drives later.

Weird thing is that they are all working fine with another mac on yosemite.

VicB likes this.
  12. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

@makintosh

Thanks for the heads up about the problem is with NTFS formatted drives. None of my external drives are with this format. Will still follow your trials (& tribulations?) since one never can tell if I might be using that format in the future. Good luck!

13. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

@VicB

The PRAM and SMC reset and/or the reinstallation of Tuxera NTFS may have done the trick. I'm transferring hundred of gigs of files from an NTFS formatted drive loaded in the same HDD dock without a hitch. Tried several flash drives and they seem to be read well too.

Will do some more stress testing and will post feedback.

VicB and PatrickGaerlan like this.
  14. genesisdeleon

genesisdeleon New Member

Hello. I'm having issues installing the combo update of El Capitan. Here's the error message that keeps on popping up after restarting.

Anyone who could help? :(

Thank you!

Attached Files:

15. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

Hey I tried to do some back read upgrading is not as easy as I thought... Long story short, I enrolled and installed a Beta Profile and removed the setting to not to receive any beta updates.

Ever since 10.11.4 official came out, I am not seeing it in the App Store updates and I already tried the solutions Google offered me like resetting the app store catalog back to default via Terminal as root.

I also downloaded the 4GB installer posted here (combo package) to no avail.

My question is, if I back up my machine in a beta state, download the El Capitan and do a clean install, if I restore it from Time Machine, will I end up with Beta again (downgrade to 10.11 BETA) ?

I hate thinking of reinstalling everything again :(

16. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Your date and time settings are correct in System Preferences -> Date & Time?

17. iMark

iMark Member

Hi, could anyone please post the link to OS X 10.11.4 I'm having a hard time downloading it thru the app store. thanks

18. cybersniper

19. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

For some unknown reason, my external HDD dock gets disconnected again. Reinstalled Tuxera NTFS and did PRAM and SMC resets and still the same. I was doing a Time Machine backup and saw it ended quickly. Turned out the backup drive got disconnected... 3 times. No problem backing up to NAS.

20. iMark

iMark Member

no, of course I know hot to google, Im not asking about the combo update. I dont even have the previous one so Im looking for the complete 10.11.4 instead if not yet updated and still on Yosemite