NETFLIX / FUJI: Terrace House Boys and Girls in the City

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by abielbad, Apr 29, 2016.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Two of my friends also liked her. So pang-inggit, I went to this Shibuya cafe, where Mizuki works.

Mizuki cafe.jpeg

I rehearsed what I would tell Mizuki, in Japanese, :) excited for a selfie video with her.

Alas, she wasn't there the afternoon I went. But apparently, she worked later that day, in the evening. Boo.

I would have waited, had it been ロレンサイ;)

onefour and Netskipper like this.
  2. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

Cool! Wish you got a selfie with the bubbly girl.

Why didnt you wait? Sorry absolutely cant understand a word of Japanese haha

3. Netskipper

So funny but Tap was kinda low key jerk. I think very few people rooted for him. He was a bit judgmental and it seems that his treatment of Mizuki resulted in a twitter backlash

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

"Fuyumi" is a play on "Natsumi".

Natsu is the Japanese word for summer. Winter is fuyu. The others referred to her (jokingly) as Fuyumi probably because some of her comments were cold as winter. :)

And no, Tap wasn't being insensitive; he was just being himself. He had no intent to hurt or put down Mizuki, although that was not how it was perceived by many. What he said came naturally to a teacher whose world entails cracking the whip all day to drive students to excel. But well-meaning intentions can be perceived the wrong way, especially in Asia, because it is covered with onion-skin. :)

We all live in different worlds, and see things differently. The goal is to understand why others see the world as they do, not judge them for seeing it differently—which is why I *loved* Hansan; he gets that. Totally. :)

Netskipper likes this.
  5. Netskipper

Thats a cool bit of info about Natsu and Fuyu. Thats quite witty!

Tap only spoke whats on his mind but his callous comments did paint him as a blunt, judgmental guy. I think he only stopped because Yuriko cried.

Can't disagree with Hansan. How he handled Natsumi (IMO the hardest one to understand) had me in awe.

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^quirks of an artist. when you get to aloha state, you will see that again, but 100x prettier. :)

just came back from japan. and my love for that country grew even more. most of the "nastiness" (tap's, natsumi's, makoto's, riccochan's, et al) in terrace house is west. han-san is east.

Netskipper likes this.
  7. Netskipper

Oooh! I was postponing Aloha State but that 100x prettier made me curious..

Too bad you didn't get that selfie with Mizuki.

Is there any chance Netflix would sub the earlier seasons? I've always been curious about that guy Tetsuya. Seems the panel love to make fun of him and he keeps getting mentioned in B&GitC

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Want more incentive? 100x prettier isn't even Japanese—I knew that as soon as I heard her surname, Tsai. If nothing about "hot chinita" excites you, your family should disown you. :D
    Doubt it. Previous TH seasons are Fuji TV, not Netflix. So unless Netflix buys the rights for those too, official English subtitles are unlikely. But hey, there's a hot chinita waiting. :)

9. kinse_44

kinse_44 Well-Known Member

I just finished Terrace House: Boys & Girls In The City after watching 3-4 episodes a day. It really is not that hard to binge-watch this show.

Sepanx is real after watching this show or when a member leaves. I really liked Natsumi and Byrnes for their genuinity. Out of all the characters, wasn't Arman the least contributor? Hehe. Out of nine months living, he really didn't gain that much from the experience. The most significant thing that happened to him was in the last episodes.

...and is it just me or Martha looks familiar..Hmm..

10. Netskipper

Yeah its quite easy to binge watch. Somehow it hooks you.

Natsumi is ok. Fuyumi isnt haha.

Arman is just this cool laid back guy. He did zero things to achieve his goal (firefighter) and thats the reason why the hosts like to pick on him.

Some say Martha looks like Nadine Lustre. Frankly I dont see it.

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Heads up! Part 3 of Aloha State was released yesterday. :)

yuck-o likes this.
  12. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Guy's one lucky boy! Ep.24 (late night movie + a drained macbook + corded earphones + unspacious sofa = nailed it!)

Soundtrack: Nik Ammar - Indestructible

#32 abielbad, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Her shirt! :)

File 04-07-2017, 11 55 29 PM.jpeg

14. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Active Member

15. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Who started watching Part#4 of Aloha State? Some story arcs are picking up.

16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^The ending of Part 3 compelled me to peek into Part 4, via VPN to Netflix Japan.

I just finished this week's episode, but there is nothing to gain in spoiling it for anyone.

But next to Han-san, Guy has become my next favorite member. Easy-going off the surfboard, but awesome on it!

17. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Yeah me too. Subscribed to a VPN just to continue watching it.

I would also want to watch the first Terrace House (Boys and Girl next door) but unfortunately there's no subs.

18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Just finished Part 4.

My gut feelings have not changed: Aloha State is a tad too western for my taste—which played out in full in Part 4.

Still, no point in seeing the first three if you don't watch Part 4. Guy's Season 3 cliffhanger alone was worth watching Part 4.

Enjoy Part 4 when it comes out on Netflix PH next month. Cheers! :)

19. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Active Member

i agree, and i really hope the next terrace house, if there will be one, comes back to japan, and with members who are really into interacting with other members, not just there for the exposure and free lodging. ;)

20. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

I just saw Arman walking around the Narita airport. Didnt recognise first as he was wearing a surgical mask. My daughter told me but its too late to ask for a photo op lolz!