NETFLIX / FUJI: Terrace House Boys and Girls in the City

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by abielbad, Apr 29, 2016.

1. abielbad

abielbad Member

Anyone watching this is Netflix? I was hooked.

Nice concept and a way to get a glimpse of Japanese culture.

Who has access for Season 2? Episode#19 and up?

vtf likes this.
  2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

cool! a separate, albeit dormant, thread for this.

i rarely jump on bandwagons, so i don't keep up with the joneses in tv discussions. but my media-guzzling friends talked about Terrace House, so i figured i'd give it a try (albeit way late, as usual) during the long waits before and during flights. well, i bit, hook line and sinker. :) i don't care about tv shows enough to marathon them, but i consumed all 46 episodes during three days/three cities of business travel.

it doesn't hurt that i have a general affinity/liking for japan, its culture and its people. heck, this tander enrolled (long before hearing of Terrace House) in nihongo classes, aiming for a N-level certifications. taking my family to japan this may, too.

sufficed to say, i loved terrace house. sugoi ne! (awesome) :)

let the discussions begin! :)

shootertwist, vtf, mafioso and 2 others like this.
  3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

cross-posting a comment from another thread.
    TH Aloha State is Netflix trying to Americanize a uniquely "Japanese show".

told my friends that Terrace House would not work in america or the philippines, because americans and pinoys lack one thing the japanese have ingrained into their ethos—restraint.

an american or pinoy TH would be filled with backstabbing, eye-rolling, cussing, and other theatrics, where civil arguments will be rare if not non-existent. in other words, Terrace House OA Edition. :p

pinoy and american ethos is echos. :D

jmkerr12, Sunil_K and shootertwist like this.
  4. vtf

vtf Active Member

and i thought i was the only one hooked!

shootertwist likes this.
  5. shootertwist

shootertwist Well-Known Member

+1 on this!
    Also just watched boys and girls and aloha state...
    totally agree with you bro! Especially with this statement - TH Aloha State is Netflix trying to Americanize a uniquely "Japanese show".

One good thing with the japan setting is you get a glimpse of japan and its culture, or at least a part of it :)

rbenzon likes this.
  6. shootertwist

Just watched it too bro, some philmuggers were actually recommending it since late last year, but the premise didnt intrigue me so i put it off, but once i started watching it, got hooked instantly!

7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I have been to Hawaii twice, which I described to friends as "the Philippines done right, if self-serving politicians, cronies, friars and their kind didn't screw it up." But aside from its Japanese migrants and tourists, Hawaii is no Japan. Um, the Japanese got super efficient and awfully good at miniaturization because of their minimalist culture and their urban space constraints—which America/Hawaii has little in common with.

Consider the first three women in Aloha State: one is a hafu (half-Japanese) from Japan, but looks more Caucasian; one doesn't even have Japanese blood, but studied Nihongo; the third is Japanese, but grew up in Hawaii—she's so American that after reprimanding one of the boys, she suggested a freakin' group hug. WTF?! :)

but i'm still lookin' forward to part 2. would've been perfect binging for holy week, but i'd probably watch 'em all on release date. :)

Sunil_K likes this.
  8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

aww, @abielbad. why did you remove your post/question? :)

IIRC, your question was who do we like? in B&G, no girl really wowed me, in looks or personality. misaki-san (or tamori-san, as you called her) grew on me though, maybe because she reminded me of a fling i could've had, but decided against, so as not to complicate my married life. :D personality-wise, i liked midori's sister the best, but i don't suppose she counts. i've got a crush on triendl :) but i don't think she'd like bad boys like me. :D

the standout in B&G for me was han-san, so much so that i told my son that i want him to grow up like han-san.

in aloha state, lauren is hot. but many of the best artists tend to be self-absorbed in their imaginary world. so she's a tough one to woo. but hey, i run and went vegetarian for two years, so asa pa! :D

9. abielbad

abielbad Member

They also have some good soundtracks in some episode. Here's two I remember downloading:

1. Slow Down - Matthew Heath & Grady Griggs (opening credits)
    2. Atlantis - STRFKR (this is the pajama scene with Tamori and Hikaru... quite hilarious!)
    3. Tomorrow's Ours - Matthew Heath & Grady Griggs
    4. I've skipped the Taylor Swift...

Sorry, if I deleted my earlier post. I thought it's maybe irrelevant on this discussion. But yes, in Aloha State, Lauren might be self absorbed.

10. shootertwist

"slow down" really gives you an LSS hehe

abielbad likes this.
  11. abielbad

abielbad Member

These songs gave me a lot of LSS before... hehe

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Revive your LSS, with the Terrace House Boys and Girls in the City playlist on Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/user/wolfbeard/playlist/4K0nbgALPgUENnwRLZfL5Y
    :D

shootertwist likes this.