Need help troubleshooting my mac mini. Mac Mini is unresponsive.

Discussion in 'Mac Mini' started by bigfoot, Mar 17, 2017.

1. bigfoot

bigfoot New Member

Hi everyone.

Hoping someone can give me a step by step process on how I can retrieve my files from a defective hard disk drive using a HDD enclosure and transfer these files over to an external hard drive I just bought.

Just a background: Had my Mac Mini's hard drive replaced last Oct 2016 but it has again developed issues. When I say issues they are the following:
    1. Takes a long time to boot up
    2. Once it boots up and I select an app I would like to run it takes roughly a minute for it to open and any subsequent commands will take longer and sometimes won't respond at all.

Brought this in back for a repair but the fees for creating a back up file is outrageous and the guy at one of the stores was helpful enough to suggest that since the HD Disk can still work might be good to explore using a HDD enclosure to try and access the files and transfer them. Have a working MacBook that I can use to do this but when I plug the old HDD file using the HDD enclosure it can't be mounted. Appreciate any help here.

2. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

It happened to my Mac Mini before. I used a bootable usb drive to boot my mini. Luckily the internal HDD was detected and I was able to copy my data to an external drive.

3. bigfoot

bigfoot New Member

Hey Macmacoy. Sorry not familiar with how to create a bootable usb drive. Could you walk me through it?

4. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

greta87 likes this.
  5. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Sometimes the HDD needle is parked on the platter and this causes the drive to become undetected. I had several success (and failures) in retrieving files by first opening up the drive and unparking the needle and attaching the drive in an external dock. The risk, however, is if the needle and/or its mechanism is damaged enough that succeeding reads/writes will scratch the magnetic disk rendering it unusable and making any effort to retrieve data futile.

I suggest also to try to listen to the sound the drive makes when you connect it to an enclosure or dock and power it. If there is a clicking or hissing sound there is a chance the drive needle is parked and cannot return to its normal position during bootup.