Need advice on buying an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lennytan, Jun 6, 2017.

1. lennytan

lennytan Member

I am planning to buy my first iMac and heard the latest updates from the WWDC event. Just wanted to get advise from our muggers on 2 things
    1. Will our apple re-sellers offer a big discount on the old iMac models? If yes, when does this usually happen?
    2. I just checked with BTB and they have no updates on when they will be offering the new iMacs, does anyone here know on what is the average days/weeks that our re-sellers get the newer models?

bruce2014 likes this.
  2. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

1) If I'm not mistaken, only Charlie/BTB does this. - no specific time... just comes up once in a while.
    2) I'd say 4 months on an average. If things change and turns around faster these days, then great!

btw, the top of the line (new) iMac is very tempting and priced pretty much like its predecessor.

3. bruce2014

bruce2014 New Member

I am subscribing to this post, as i'm interested also in buying imac, the 2017 imac, which is not available at BTB website.

My followup query in addition to the threadstarter's:

1. Is it safe to buy this imac from Apples Philippine website? (https://www.apple.com/ph/imac/).
    2. Please share your experiences in buying to this local apple website.
    3. I read yesterday that apple have local store located at BGC, kindly share if you were able to buy 2017-imac from this store.

Thank you very much.

4. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

I can only answer 1 and 2 because i don't know much about number 3.

1. yes it is safe to buy from the apple website in general. downside is, exchange rate "may" play a part if it is cheaper or more expensive that the ones that are already available locally (provided that you are eyeing the new imacs and there are stocks of the new imacs here).
    2. the last time i bought one from the store was waaaay back lol, i bought lion i think, and that was when new OS are being sold back then. It was delivered and was not asked for additional fees from courier.

bruce2014 likes this.
  5. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

As of this date, there's yet no official Apple brick and mortar store anywhere in the Philippines. If there was, you'd find the store address listed in the Apple Philippines website. At best, it's just among the Apple authorized resellers based in BGC.

bruce2014 likes this.
  6. Geego

Geego Member

Yes, its safe to purchase from the Apple Website. Purchased twice there, iPod touch (got an engraving, so I had to purchase there) and a Macbook Pro charger (it was out of stock from BTB and PMC was offering it 1000php more than the SRP)

Prices posted on the site is exactly what I paid for, exchange rate did not matter, as they charge it using PHP. Also, no export taxes were collected upon delivery even if their SG based.

Downside, it takes a long time to receive it. It was dispatched a day or two, but DHL did not delivery it until 2 weeks. Apparently, according to DHL, if you see your item is already with them, you can just call them to have it delivered earlier.

bruce2014 likes this.
  7. bruce2014

bruce2014 New Member

hi, just in case you haven't purchased yet, as of august, for BtB and Switch stores, the 2017-imacs are now available.

8. Technobilder

Technobilder Member

I bought my iMac last month from iStore here in Cebu - the middle model with 5K and 3.5GHz CPU.
    After that I ordererd additional 16GB RAM via Lazada and upgraded to total of 24GB now.

Reason why I bought with iStore is - 1) they had it in stock ! - 2) I dont like problems in case I might save some php and end up to have it send in in case of warranty claims - LBC can be a real pain in the A** in some branches ...

I ordered once directly from Apple USA and it was delivered in about 5 days via UPS - I ordered in USD using my creditcard.

9. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

I can also vouch for the legitimacy of the online Philippine AppleStore. Bought a few items there even a BTO iMac. Smooth transaction. :)

10. Salaryman Ryan

For reference to future buyers of the Apple Store Philippines. I ordered a top end BTO model for a friend. I'll keep everyone updated.

[​IMG]

Zoey and cybersniper like this.
  11. Salaryman Ryan

Update. According the the Apple Philippines website my friend's iMac is already shipping...
    [​IMG]

Seven Leaves, cybersniper and Zoey like this.
  12. Salaryman Ryan

My friend's iMac is currently being delivered through DHL Express so I can track it via my login account. The package originated from Shanghai and now currently on hold in Hong Kong...

[​IMG]

Seven Leaves and docjbr like this.