NBA 2017-2018

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by infiniteloop, Jun 13, 2017.

1. aragorn_109

aragorn_109 PhilMUG Addict Member

I don’t see how the Celtics can be a better matchup for the Warriors. They’ve been basically playing a 7 man roster (Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Morris, Horford, Smart, Baynes). They’d probably be exhausted by the time they reach the Finals.

The Warriors on the other hand, can have Steph score only one three pointer and “just 18 points” and still handily beat the top seed. They just have too many weapons in their death five lineup. Even their bench players (Livingston, West, McGee, Young) can occasionally come up with big games.

2. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Watch the 2004 NBA Finals. All that scoring power (Kobe, Shaq, Mailman, Glove), against a bunch of nobodies who played as a team.

I'm a die-hard Bulls fan, but for the remainder of these Playoffs, I will lustily cheer for the C's.

#CUsRise

Sunil_K likes this.
  3. Jess

Jess Well-Known Member

i am not counting out Cleveland just yet we should remember that the first 2 games were in Boston. The C's are playing well thanks primarily to Brad Stevens but unless they win 1 in Cleveland this series is far from over.

As for the Western Conference Finals, i truly believe Game 2 is a must win for Houston for them to have any chance to win the series.

greta87 likes this.
  4. barre05

Well, everything Houston has been doing right this season went their way in Game 2, and they won handily. But they have to repeat all those things the rest of the way and play their A-game every time to beat this GSW team in this series. In other words, their margin for error is smaller compared to the Dubs, who always have a buffer for bad games from Curry/Klay/Dray: the ultimate scorer, KD.

5. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Pardon me. Matchup might not be an appropriate word. Baka better opponent.

I think kasi that the Cavs are "easier" pickings for GSW. And by the time they get to the Finals, Tatang Lebron might also be tired out!

Both conference finals are exciting to watch, and very interesting to follow. May the best team win then!

6. shifty_md

shifty_md Active Member

Fixed that for you.

SE20, Jess and macjobber like this.
  7. barre05

Oh yeah, my bad. The ultimate snake and cupcake, KD. Thanks, man! Wholeheartedly agree :)

SE20 likes this.
  8. macjobber

macjobber Well-Known Member

I still believe KD’s move to the Warriors created the imbalance in NBA teams :(

SE20 likes this.
  9. shifty_md

shifty_md Active Member

It definitely did. Imagine the backlash if it was LeBron who joined the Warriors, or if it was Jordan who joined Bad Boys/Celtics. A perennial top 2 or 3 player for the past decade joining an already proven championship team is sure to destroy any competition present in the league, much like nWo was to the pro wrestling industry during its time.

10. Jess

Jess Well-Known Member

Game 3 between the Dubs and Rockets will be pivotal. Houston is capable of duplicating what they did in game 2, it might not be PJ Tucker but other guys like Green could do the same in a game and Harden can pull that one super crazy game where he can vault the Rockets to victory on his own.

The key moving forward i guess will be the Warriors counter on the Rockets plan on letting KD off and neutralizing the others and how Steph Curry can adjust to being punish by CP3 and the Rockets on defense. I think Draymond Green and KD's ability to hide/help Steph on defense will probably the key to unlocking Steph in this series.

imagine if Cavs and GSW went home before the finals this year and both KD and LeBron decided to call LA their home next season.

11. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

And let's remember, too, that the NBA blocked the trade of CP3 to the Lakers.
    They taketh, they giveth away.

12. linkk

linkk Active Member

really wish the boston will sweep the cavs :)

13. barre05

Steph is due for a big game in Game 3. But to be fair to Houston, they're smart and handling Curry the best way possible: making him work on defense (by constantly attacking him once he switches). That's the best way to defend Steph, i believe. So that he doesn't get to hide on defense, and the extra work tires him out and makes him miss his shots on offense.

suavecito and ronjet like this.
  14. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

As expected, the Cavs come out punching early.

Much-needed win for Cleveland, and a much needed improvement in terms of entertainment/competition value for this series.

Will the same Cavs team show up for Game 4? Let's see!

15. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Dubs up 2-1. What a drubbing!

16. barre05

Called it. He's too good of a shooter to be kept shackled by Houston.

Worst playoff loss in Houston franchise history. Same issues from game 1. Ball wasn't hopping for the Rockets. Harden was missing shots early, CP3 was the only one going in the second half.

17. SE20

If I was a betting man (which I'm not), I wouldn't bet against this Warriors team.

Heck, I reckon they would beat any team in history, including MJ's Bulls and "my" Showtime Lakers - for the simple reason that 3 points count more than 2.

In MJ's final game with Chicago, the Bulls shot 10 three point attempts. In this game (G3), Steph attempted 12 all by himself !!!

greta87 likes this.
  18. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ yes, it's a different game.. more spacing. faster pace, more possessions... less physical defense. this Dubs team is meant to be a real dynasty for this era... if not for the fluke loss to the Cavs in 2016, they should be looking at a 4-peat by now..

suavecito and SE20 like this.
  19. SE20

^Yeah, and which makes that Cavs championship such a monstrous achievement.
    Peace!!!

greta87 likes this.
  20. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ & which also points to the greatness of the Bulls teams of the 90s and the lakers teams of 2000s of how difficult it is to defend your crown no matter how strong your team is... heck, the spurs couldnt even defend any of their 5 titles. :)

Mykolant and Sunil_K like this.